Pull the plug

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Pull the plug

Post by knowitall »

If kids wanted to play two teams would not have quit before halftime and two teams wouldn't have decided to not play at all. In four weeks this team will play less than one half of football.

And I have no idea what you are talking about with regard to the California Penal League. Do you?
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

I agree let them play. But flag. JMO. take baseball as an example:
when kids are 10 they don't play on regulation fields. with pitcher's mounds 60 1/2 feet away. Bases 90 feet apart. no lead offs. They start basic. tee ball. then gradually progress. same should be done with football. Again JMO.
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

If kids want to play with matches, let them!
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

I don't see it being a problem if it is a reason amount of games. They shouldn't play a 10 game schedule.
-BIRDS OF PREY-
TheRealBleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheRealBleacherCoach »

I was a three sport athlete. Started when I was 5 or 6 years old and play all for about 13 years. If a kid loves a sport and likes being into sports they will not get burned out. The only thing your going to do by cutting pee wee programs is have those kids find another sport. Maybe soccer? Skip forward a few years and Now you have 12 kids on the playing varsity soccer that would have been playing football if there was a program when they were younger. If you dont like tackle then keep your kid out of it. Ill never forget when I got to bring home my first set of pads. Wore them around for hours. Younger kids get taught the basics and thats how high school programs are built.
west33
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by west33 »

I agree real bleacher 100%. Couldn't have said it better!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

TheRealBleacherCoach wrote:. Younger kids get taught the basics and thats how high school programs are built.
So why do so many of the local teams suck today?
sonofpsycho
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by sonofpsycho »

Because you need a critical mass (minimum number) of kids to have any chance of fielding a competitive team. And our local schools have lost more than 50% of their male enrollments in the last 30 years, yet there has been no consolidation even as enrollments continue to plummet. I am not talking AAAA numbers. Publics need mid AA numbers + because with the attrition rate from soccer and hockey you need a minimum of 150-180 kids per class to have any chance of getting the numbers you need to make it competitive unless you have an unusually rare small group of committed and talented kids which rarely happens anymore. And when you don't have the numbers to make it competitive you get Ferndale and Conamaugh Valley and (fill in the blank).

You can live in a dream world (our little bubble in the valley) where you can make believe it is competitive. And the local media will reinforce the fantasy. But that doesn't change reality. The longer the PSEA and others stonewall against consolidation the deeper all sports and academic programs will continue to fall into the abyss. It is getting worse every year. If it gives solace to anyone, this is not just a local problem -- it is statewide.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

And to think I was just going to suggest starting tackle football in Pre-K.
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

Maybe the issue is the CV youth program and not with the other teams in the league. I assume that is whom you reference knowitall.