Public/Private Enrollment

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
NeutralGuy
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Public/Private Enrollment

Post by NeutralGuy »

WPIAL~Titan wrote:As I said, make all private schools play in AAAA. Would love to see a BG go up against Woodland Hills or North Allegheny.
So when and if Geibel is ae to field a team they would be in a conference with Woodland Hills, Penn Hills and Bethel Park?i
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

1999: You're hopping all over the place. Year after year, no matter what sport, private schools make up a GREATER percentage of the schools in the top 8 playoff spots than the total percentage of private schools in the state in each class. Sure, there are years when a BC is not good, but generally speaking, private schools make up a good percentage of playoff teams throughout the state. Just saw the local girl's class A volleyball playoff schedule in today's Tribune. Three of the 4 teams were private. North Star was set to play Greensburg Central Catholic, and BM was set to play Mount Calvary Christian. Where are all the public schools? Could private schools have some kind of advantage over the publics? It's the same year after year in football, at least in the lower classes. And basketball is even MORE skewed.
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

I have always thought that basketball was by far the worst sport that was dominated by the private / charter schools. There is definitely a problem with the playoffs when it comes to basketball.

I would like to see all the private / charter schools bump up at least one class in all sports. I know it's not a fix-all, but it would be a start.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

footballguy1999 wrote:CCdevil to answer a couple of your points.

taking the 2 best kids from 20 school districts? please tell me who does that. if their is a team you come up with please let me know because i would like to see them play they must be dang good.

as for your co-op question. in a co-op every student at both of the partcipating schools is allowed to play so they count half the enrollment from the co-op school. if 2 students transfer from a public school to another public school which is allowed by open enrollment they only count as 2 just as they would if they transfer to a private school (in both cases of course not for sports purposes.)

so if a 2 kids transfer from ferndale to northern cambria it only adds 2 to their enrollment just as it would if they transfer form ferndale to BG.
But 2 kids from ferndale can't transfer to NC, if they do it's a PIAA violation, but they can transfer to BG, no advantage though? And you mean to tell me that bg's starters wouldn't be starters at their home school district? So you have an allstar team essentially? Last year cambria heights was AA because of a co-op with harmony in which they recieved 1 kid for football, meanwhile BC was A with kids from all over. Their RB last year transferred in for just his senior year. Each school recieved 1 kid but only one moved up.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

I'd take all the schools districts that are represented in a private school and average them out. Use that average number for classification
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

You could always just eliminate the playoffs altogether.

That way everyone can declare themselves the mythical champion of whatever classification fits his needs.

We are the best school with exactly 148 boys who wears red white and orange, for example.
footballguy1999
Freshman
Freshman

Post by footballguy1999 »

knowitall makes a good point. everyone wants it so it benefits there team so they can be a champion (myself included)

lets say we move all the privates up 1 class. the piaa would have to look at enrollments to even out how many teams are in each class...so there would be bigger public schools in both class A and AA. if this was the case schools d7 and d12 public schools would dominate A and AA in all sports. So the next grip everyone would have on here is its not fair to have the pittsburgh/philly schools in the playoffs.

i know the current system isn't perfect but i don't think there is a system that would be.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I love knowitall's idea
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

Here are some facts:
Between all classes the D6 (or combo) playoffs consist of 22 teams. Of those 22 teams 21 are public schools and 1 is a private school.

Of course...you cant look at facts to make your argument...that would make too much sense. Lets twist the numbers to make it look like we are right...... :D
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Gee. How many AAA and AAAA private schools are there in District 6 football? How many AA private schools are there in District 6? Your sample is bogus based on this information.