Public/Private Enrollment

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Public/Private Enrollment

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Every year in football and basketball playoffs you see private schools who are "A" romp other A schools. Why does the PIAA not treat private schools like a co-op between public schools? If a private school has kids who live in 8 different school districts, why do they not get that enrollment? Just seems like a simple solution to a highly debated topic this time of the year. I don't care if teams recruit or take regular transfers, it's the nature of the beast, but I don't think that a school who has 50 males, 45 of them being football players should be competing against a school who has more normal enrollment numbers. Let them recruit, but make it even across the board the way co-ops are treated.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Public/Private Enrollment

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Bleachercoaches is actually owned by the PIAA and they make money off page views, so they make controversial topics so it drives more clicks.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Lol I'm far from a piaa affiliate. Just have a vested interest in local sports and would like to know other opinions. I'm not against private schools. But I do think there has to be a way to make competition more equal.
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

I have an issue with Private Schools. I don't see how the PIAA can sit back and watch. The introduction of the Philly area into the PIAA playoffs has really magnified the situation. The denser the population the bigger the issue can become. The West Catholics, Woods, LaSalle, St Joseph's, or in the Pittsburgh area the Central Catholic, North Catholic etc. Now those who support it always defend it by saying that they don't recruit. Yes they may not be out beating on doors like a college team. However if you live in the area and your kid is an athlete you send them there for the competitive advantage they provide.

If anything the PIAA needs to man up against the WPIAL, change the classifications to a 6 class system for one. I agree with the previous post
Why does the PIAA not treat private schools like a co-op between public schools? If a private school has kids who live in 8 different school districts, why do they not get that enrollment? I don't care if teams recruit or take regular transfers, it's the nature of the beast, but I don't think that a school who has 50 males, 45 of them being football players should be competing against a school who has more normal enrollment numbers.
The classification should also consider the enrollment numbers vs the athletes out for a sport

Everett and Dunmore are the largest single A teams in the state.
Enrollment calculated at 174 they have 31 out for football 17%
Tyrone 229 and 43 18%
Forest Hills 240 and 53 22%

Bishop Guilfoyle 118 and have 46 out for football. 38%
West Catholic's number is 141 and 53 out for football. 38%

I think there is a distinct advantage created by the numbers.
-BIRDS OF PREY-
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I know I just like to have fun with it since this topic gets beaten to death on here.
bigben7
Junior
Junior

Post by bigben7 »

TAHS great point. The PIAA should have separate public and private/charter champions. They would never separate them thou because the privates would file a lawsuit.
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

At least West Catholic is embarrassed by it and petitions for AA status rather than playing in A.
-BIRDS OF PREY-
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

bigben

I wouldn't say a I'm for separate championship but a 6 class system and if your over x number of percentage points for a sport in mandates a jump in classification. I would be for this type of look

Class A Public Class A schools Under 175 on enrollment not in District 7 or 12
Class AA Private Class A schools and Class A for 7 and 12
Class AAA Public Class AA schools
Class 4A Private AA and Public AAA
Class 5A Public 4A Schools under 800 and Private AAA
Class 6A Public 4A over 800 and Private AAAA
-BIRDS OF PREY-
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

I think the topic is brought up a lot, but mostly just complaining. This is more aimed at civil methods of how to deal with it. Not all A, AA, AAA schools are created equally.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

I like the comparison of percentages but I think if that was a requirement you would see private schools bump their non athletic enrollment to even things out. I do like the idea of adding classes.