Hypothetically?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Hypothetically?

Post by CCDevil2012 »

It is true that all schools take in the enrollment at their school, my issue is with the co-ops. Privates may have lower enrollment but their kids are often from multiple school districts. I don't think it's equal that a public school has to take in enrollment for a co-op but if a private pulls kids from that same co-op they don't take in the enrollment. Has to be a way to deal with it but it's a tough debate.
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

CCDevil2012 wrote:It is true that all schools take in the enrollment at their school, my issue is with the co-ops. Privates may have lower enrollment but their kids are often from multiple school districts. I don't think it's equal that a public school has to take in enrollment for a co-op but if a private pulls kids from that same co-op they don't take in the enrollment. Has to be a way to deal with it but it's a tough debate.

I don't have a problem with the private schools winning and having players attend their schools from other locations. It bothers me when they blatantly recruit players from other districts for sports and then offer them some "bogus" educational scholarship to cover their tuition. (It's even more frustrating when they do it once the athlete has proven themselves and they don't attend the private school until their junior or senior year.) I think that would be really hard to swallow for the other students that are paying full tuition to attend the school, but don't have the "athletic" ability to get "educational" funding!
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

But Portage welcomed Kephart back with open arms from BC
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

HSD6FAN wrote:
CCDevil2012 wrote:It is true that all schools take in the enrollment at their school, my issue is with the co-ops. Privates may have lower enrollment but their kids are often from multiple school districts. I don't think it's equal that a public school has to take in enrollment for a co-op but if a private pulls kids from that same co-op they don't take in the enrollment. Has to be a way to deal with it but it's a tough debate.

I don't have a problem with the private schools winning and having players attend their schools from other locations. It bothers me when they blatantly recruit players from other districts for sports and then offer them some "bogus" educational scholarship to cover their tuition. (It's even more frustrating when they do it once the athlete has proven themselves and they don't attend the private school until their junior or senior year.) I think that would be really hard to swallow for the other students that are paying full tuition to attend the school, but don't have the "athletic" ability to get "educational" funding!

This has been my complaint for years. It will never stop. I read an article a few years ago where a PIAA Official was asked about this. Under the condition that his name was not mentioned he stated "Graduates of these private schools donate too much money and have too much power to put a stop to it". I believe this was in the Patriot news but I can't locate the article. When I do I will post it. A good example of not fair is this years BG Girls.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

Basketball is by far the worst. All you have to do is recruit 3 or 4 superior athletes. Even if you can get one new one a year as a freshmen. Many basketball teams only have to go 6 or 7 deep in high school.
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

HSD6FAN wrote:Basketball is by far the worst. All you have to do is recruit 3 or 4 superior athletes. Even if you can get one new one a year as a freshmen. Many basketball teams only have to go 6 or 7 deep in high school.
Yes I agree. And the other problem is the denial that they recruit. Be it coaches, parents, or the players, everyone knows it happens. I have mentioned 4 names on here in the past that freely admit that they were recruited (By Boosters and because they were "good Christian kids") . Although it was a few years ago it still happens.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

Blueandwhitefan wrote:
HSD6FAN wrote:Basketball is by far the worst. All you have to do is recruit 3 or 4 superior athletes. Even if you can get one new one a year as a freshmen. Many basketball teams only have to go 6 or 7 deep in high school.
Yes I agree. And the other problem is the denial that they recruit. Be it coaches, parents, or the players, everyone knows it happens. I have mentioned 4 names on here in the past that freely admit that they were recruited (By Boosters and because they were "good Christian kids") . Although it was a few years ago it still happens.

I would hope that most would admit that it does happen. If you deny that it happens, you're only trying to convince yourself.

I also understand why players agree to it. If you go and play for a powerhouse team and make a deep playoff run, you have a better opportunity to get scouted. Bigger and better schools recruit you into college and you get more recognition and funding. Why play for a mid-level or horrible team if you have the opportunity to win a championship?

Until the PIAA investigates and disciplines schools for recruiting, then it will continue.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

If there is so much evidence of recruiting, why havent the privates been penalized
Are you saying that St Joes in State college recruits?
Because it seemed like a lot of Heritage teams asked to play them, why would they play a team with such an advantage?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Average parochial schools don't recruit, but they have no boundaries. There's a difference.