WPIAL...The Best Football District in PA

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: WPIAL...The Best Football District in PA

Post by konjo78 »

I do find a little funny lhac people offended By this because this is how they act all season with the lhac in d6
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Were nt the Wpial teams ranked this high at the beginning of the season, so they just did as expected ?
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Yeah but how are their test scores?
animus
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by animus »

youngbuck wrote:Yeah but how are their test scores?
PR and SF are very good academically, I don't know much about CV and Clairton is actually improving.
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

PAFootballGuy017 wrote:First, on another thread I accurately predicted Somerset was going to get their doors blown off today. I was right. Second, no one said every other team is a joke. I never said BG was going to get blown out. I predicted 46-28. That's an 18 point game which would make it Clairtons second closest game. As far as D7 being large, 2 points to that. First, they put one team in the tournament just like every other district. Second, Allegheny County, 1 county, has almost 30 state titles...i think 27. Again this year, Allegheny County sends 3 teams. So even if you take away 8 of the 9 counties that make up the WPIAL, that is still dominance. Allegheny County is the heart of the WPIAL. It's not an overload of teams, it's a better brand of football.
Your argument becomes a moot point consider the number of schools and population in Allegheny county. it BY FAR out numbers the same in every other county in the state WITH exception to the philly area whose schools just started competing for state titles.
If you took the Berwick/Southern/Mt.Carmel area (about 30 miles) that area easily matches what Allegheny county did only with 1/10th the population. yes, the wpial is great. The tradition is great. But with the sheer size in numbers, it should be. We are now starting to see the same type of dominance from another area with the same population, Philly.
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

This is an interesting topic. WPIAL has had an incredible post season run this year. Making it to the state finals is a wonderful accomplishment for all the kids involved.

I agree that with a larger population, you significantly improve your chances of success. I know each district only sends one representative, but to win the WPIAL, you probably have to beat at least 2 teams that would probably win a district title in other areas of the state.

I do enjoy how the playoffs are set up. Even though there are teams in weaker districts that would probably not get out of the quarterfinals in district 7, they get to experience the state football playoffs. If you are a team that plays in the WPIAL, you know that your district tournaments is just as difficult to win as the state tournament.
PLDragons24
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PLDragons24 »

Well so far the WPIAL is 0-2. Maybe they'll have better luck tomorrow.
Skippy
Senior
Senior

Post by Skippy »

WPIAL is some good football no doubt. But they are the only district in the state to have the number of teams across all classifications. Of all the football teams in pa the WPIAL makes up over 20% of the total teams.