Bishop Guilfoyle underclassmen

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Coach5
Freshman
Freshman

Bishop Guilfoyle underclassmen

Post by Coach5 »

They seem loaded again and especially next year they appeared loaded. With the 3 big boys back up front leamer, mccgeary, and ramsey. Do you have any younger skills guys I Know Chadbourn is a stud. But what about the younger yasilitisis #40 he seems to move well at lb could be an offensive weapon? I keep hearing this mike berrish has good speed and will be a solid corner. Lastly, down the stretch this year and next season do you see chaddborn permently moving to qb I heard trybus is a great athlete just not a qb? Any input would be helpful I am just searching I have only seen them play on youtube.
Footballfans4life
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Bishop Guilfoyle underclassmen

Post by Footballfans4life »

I went to BG vs Somerset and agree they are loaded next year. Chadbourn is back, QB Trybus back, #2 who was the best player on D on both sides is back, #1 a 6'6 De/TE is back and all 3 of the 300lb lineman are back. Wow. They also had an undefeated JV season which doesn't mean a ton, but it means they do have a few more kids coming. Will be fun to watch but not fun to play. Hard to believe how bad they were 5-10 years ago. Hats off to coaches and players.
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

They hired better recruiters!!!!!
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
sydfinch
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by sydfinch »

Blueandwhitefan wrote:They hired better recruiters!!!!!
I've heard this several times. I know McGeary was at Altoona last year but who else?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Luke Frederick (6-6 Tight End) visited Pitt last weekend, he may start seeing some interest from D1 programs.  Just an interesting tidbit. 
fdc173
Freshman
Freshman

Post by fdc173 »

Next year BG will remain one of the top A teams in the state. I see Chadbourn and Trybus leading a very potent offense and Irwin and Frederick making the defense run how it has been recently. With solid line play to go along with them.
WhiteOwl
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by WhiteOwl »

This is the result of winning at a private catholic school.  When a program starts to succeed and State Championships are for real, who would you rather play for.  The broad area that they have to choose from, Altoona, Hollidaysburg, State College, Cresson,,,,Im sure they want to play for championships.  Look at BG girls basketball...Same thing.  In my opinion it really is an unfair advantage towards public school districts, especially when they compete in Single A.  As it comes to playoff time and especially in basketball this argument comes out. Who would you rather play for?  Altoona or BG?
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Yes, it's not that coaches go out to find kids, though it may happen. Parents want their kids to win. Catholic Schools give parents the opportunity to move to winning without moving to a different district. BG winning games and a state championship game is their recruiting. 
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
pahntr
Freshman
Freshman

Post by pahntr »

I will start by saying I believe that Coach Wheeler and his staff are a very good coaching staff. They get the most out of their players and you can't win as many games in a row as they have by accident. I will use BG as an example for my post, but this is in no way meant to be specific to only BG, rather to private schools in general in the PIAA. 

In sports in general, but especially single A high school sports, having superior athletic talent makes a tremendous difference in the WIN/LOSS column. In my mind it's not a question of recruiting that talent. It's been well documented on this website by BG supporters that "most" of their kids have come up through their system. They claim they are not winning with "hired guns" whom have transferred in for their final 2-3 years of school. This may be true. However, the big issue with private schools is the fact that they have no boundaries from which they have to pull their students. All public schools must field their teams with kids from within their school districts boundaries. They can accept kids from other districts to join their teams, but then they must be willing to take on the entire enrollment of that student's school as it relates to the classification system. For example; I am fairly certain that Southern Huntingdon gets student athletes from one or more of the Fulton County schools on their football team. This makes them jump up a class to AA instead of A. I would like to know how many different school districts are represented on the BG roster? This is where the private school gains the advantage. I am certain that during my high school playing career I played against student athletes from private schools that were not even from Pennsylvania. They lived in a neighboring state. We all know how crazy some parents are about their children and success in sports. Don't be naive enough to think that people don't send their kids to a private school so they have a better chance of winning. Even if they choose to do so at a young age as opposed to when the child is going into 9th grade. The closest comparison I can come up with to this scenario would be if the NCAA passed a new rule for 2016 that Pitt could continue to recruit and comprise their roster of student athletes from the whole world (as it currently does) and Penn State could only recruit and comprise their roster of students from Pennsylvania. This would clearly be a major advantage to Pitt's athletic teams. On a smaller scale, this is what the current system allows for in relation to the private school in the PIAA. It is not a level playing field because boundaries create limits. When those limits only apply to some of the participants though, it will never be a system which pits teams against one another that are equal.
I will also offer this; anyone who currently is raising young children that are athletes will attest to how much more opportunity and exposure there is now for young kids than there was 20+ years ago. What would stop a group of parents from getting together at a youth sports tournament and approaching the parents of the better players from an opposing team with the goal of getting all of their kids together at one location and creating a "super class" as they went up through school. It would not appear as if the kid was recruited, he or she may have started going to the private school when they were in elementary school grades. So, they "came up through their system", but if it weren't for the private schools ability to pull kids in from anywhere, that student may never have attended the school and played with the rest of the kids in the "super class" that the parents assembled. 
WhiteOwl
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by WhiteOwl »

Well said Pahntr!