Bishop Carroll future

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
woninthetrenches
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Bishop Carroll future

Post by woninthetrenches »

Rumor is the whole coaching staff is stepping down in the next couple of weeks. They wanted a change in conferance or independent schedule, the AD said no. They dont have enough kids and felt it was unsafe going into next year with only about 20 kids, admins and ad arent going to help them out. There are other factors going into it but my take is the admin doesnt care about football and with all the coaches leaving look for kids to leave, not looking good for a football program going into next year.
benchpress
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Bishop Carroll future

Post by benchpress »

Unfortunate, maybe, but at this point I doubt any kid is at BC to strictly play football. It makes no sense to change conferences to benefit only one sport at that school. Football does not make or break them and to deny other sports the opportunity to play within the conference (i.e. basketball, soccer, volleyball who have all had their own successful seasons recently) would be idiotic to only support a sport with such low numbers. The numbers are decent at other sports and I doubt the administration is out to "get" football. They have to look at the larger picture to benefit everyone.
woninthetrenches
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

It would actually benefit other sports as well, and the kids. But you are correct that most kids there play other sports as well. Without football you will see a few leave after this year. Its a trickle down where a couple leave and a few more dont come to the school. Think about the 8th graders who want to play football so they decide to just go to their home school instead. Im not going to disagree, im just stating what ive been told. Look into the facts for yourselves
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

Well that and the growing amount of their enrollment is now Chinese/Japanese exchange students. Just clawing and scratching to hang on and try to stay open. This school is in MUCH more trouble than just what is going on with their football program.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Honestly in the east side of the state a lot of catholic schools have been joined with others for this reason. Maybe its time for the school to become a elemetary and junior high location and split up between BG and BM
Birda
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by Birda »

There aren't enough students to sustain this many Catholic schools in the area.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I'll be interested to see if this is finally the year this all goes down, I think every November rolls around and someone comes on here with a post saying this is it for Bishop Carroll ect. And they keep surviving one more year.
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:I'll be interested to see if this is finally the year this all goes down, I think every November rolls around and someone comes on here with a post saying this is it for Bishop Carroll ect. And they keep surviving one more year.

Hence the more and more exchange students....and no I'm not kidding. They all live in that "house" that sits next to their gym.
woninthetrenches
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Maybe thats why they dont care about students from around here
reugenev
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by reugenev »

Football should drive decisions, it is the only sport that you must Qualify to make the playoffs.  All other sports are an open playoff system.  This could all be solved if schools would be forced to play by classification like the WPIAL.  If BC leaves the LHAC has three choices:  

Chestnut Ridge- Likely, but will they commit to join for all sports? A league requirement!  They like their Bedford County winter sports!

Ligonier - Not sure anyone wants to make that trip. Plus they've burned that bridge.

Hollidaysburg - they might commit for all sports, but the league would have to go to a small school/big school format with some crossovers.  BG vs Hollidaysburg would make for a great rivalry!  Hollidaysburg is closer in enrollment to Johnstown & Somerset then those two are to the single A teams in the league.

My money is on Ridge if they are willing to commit for all sports, but Hollidaysburg would make the LHAC the elite conference in the area.