Re: Mount Union Coach

Post by crfball »

Soooo anybody know what this story is
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

[right]I would love to hear all the details on this story. Mr Smith was not permitted to Coach at Tyrone and now is the Head Coach at Mt Union? Very interesting. I guess that his PSU background was enough to sell the school district on his coaching? Former Texas high school player, will be interesting to see what he does for sure. If I had to pick a Tyrone staff member as coach though he would be about 10th on the list IMO.[/right]
-BIRDS OF PREY-
SoftWalkinBigStick
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by SoftWalkinBigStick »

Who ever said Smith wasn't permitted to coach in Tyrone? He had coached there for 5 years and was going to coach there again this year until he accepted a teaching position with MU.  I was told they wanted him to be the Junior High Head Coach, but he wanted to move back to the Varsity level instead.
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

Who ever said Smith wasn't permitted to coach in Tyrone? He had coached there for 5 years and was going to coach there again this year until he accepted a teaching position with MU.  I was told they wanted him to be the Junior High Head Coach, but he wanted to move back to the Varsity level instead.
umm.. NO
he did coach at Tyrone for 5 years that's a fact. I'm not Paul Harvey, but there is more to the story. Good Luck to him in Mt Union
-BIRDS OF PREY-
SoftWalkinBigStick
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

The Tyrone coaches, including Wilson, all confirmed he was going to coach with the varsity and junior varsity level until he got the teaching job with Mount Union and joined the football staff there.
crfball
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by crfball »

Well now there are apparently two stories that I want to stick my nose in
SoftWalkinBigStick
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

I agree there must be a story with Stevens, but I think the "story" of Smith leaving Tyrone is as simple as him getting a new teaching job and being asked to coach in his new district.  Remember, Smith joined the MU staff as an assistant first.  After I heard of the Stevens development, I looked into Smith as he was taking over.  Jason Wilson, the Varsity Head Coach, and Steve Johnson, the Jr. High Head Coach last year who stepped down for this upcoming season, both have confirmed that Mr. Smith was asked to apply for the vacant Jr. High Head Coach position.  They then said Mr. Smith refused the request and was headed back to the High School Staff to work with both the JV and Varsity as he had done before going to the Jr. High for a year.  I also was told by Mr. Yoder, the HS Principal, that Mr. Smith taught Summer School for TASD this summer.  I don't know who your "sources" are, but I think those three guys, as well as other coaches and staff at TASD, are pretty reliable.