Private School Problem -Not just this forum!

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
footballguy99
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Private School Problem -Not just this forum!

Post by footballguy99 »

I just saw a story on this on CBS news tonight, so I looked it up. 

http://www.king5.com/mb/sports/high-sch ... /329119581

Schools are refusing to play this school because their players are so much bigger than theirs. They also don't like that these kids are pulled from area school districts while Archbishop Murphy remains in the same size classification. 

What if something like this started happening more frequently?  What if teams refused to participate in the District 6 Class A playoffs?  One of the most dominate teams in the state plays here and can beat potential AAA and AAAA champions. 

When I saw this on the news I thought of all the arguments on BleacherCoaches and thought....what if that happened around here?  It seems like a similar situation. Juniata Valley, Moshannon Valley, Williamsburg, Homer Center, Portage, Blairsville, and so on would probably love to compete for a championship that doesn't include a team that is playing like a national powerhouse at their level. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Private School Problem -Not just this forum!

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I'm sure if they wanted to leave the PIAA and just have the old Appalachian Conference as it's own entity for all sports, they could probably do that.  
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

The teams forfeiting to Archbishop Murphy are citing injury concerns, size disparity, roster size. ect.

Just a friendly reminder Bishop Carroll is hosting Bishop Guilfoyle on Friday.
footballguy99
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by footballguy99 »

I guess the thought is more like, what if this started catching on?  Three schools in a row have refused to play this team because they are physically dominating.

That article I posted says that's why they aren't playing.  The CBS announcer said coaches are mad that they aren't playing up a level and basically said, pick on someone your own size. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

footballguy99 wrote:I guess the thought is more like, what if this started catching on?  Three schools in a row have refused to play this team because they are physically dominating.

That article I posted says that's why they aren't playing.  The CBS announcer said coaches are mad that they aren't playing up a level and basically said, pick on someone your own size. 
I do believe a few teams refused to wrestle Bethlehem Catholic last season.  Or something of that nature.  I think stuff like that does sprout up every once in a while. It'd be interesting to see, if like you mentioned, it caught on like wild fire. 
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

If you're suggesting that teams refuse to play BG this year, I can understand your rationale, especially given the upcoming game with Bishop Carroll (which, by the way, is another private school).  But consider the long-term consequences.  BG won't be a juggernaut forever.  They are currently riding the unprecedented alignment of a talent bubble with outstanding coaching.  The bubble will pass.  Their feeder-school football program is a shadow of what it was just a few years ago due to parochial school consolidation.  In future years the stars will align for other schools.  Should forfeits be encouraged or should rules be put in place to ensure that dominant teams play backups during blowouts?
I think the BIG QUESTION is how the BG coaching staff will handle this game with BC.  Will they humiliate their long-term diocesan rival?  Injure opposing players to pad stats and score yet another shutout?  Start their JV's and let BC have some dignity?  It will be interesting.  
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

And you don't necessarily need to pull in "ALL" your players from area schools to help a team dominate. All it takes is a FEW really good outsiders to put icing on the cake.
peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

peytonsaturday
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by peytonsaturday »

Side note: Wasn't Lyndsay Cohen at WJAC for a short while? Name sounds familiar.
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

just a note here, two of Bishop McDevitts best players went back to public schools this week.