District 6 AA Playoff Thread

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

District 6 AA Playoff Thread

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

[center]Friday[/center]
(8) Cambria Heights (4-6) at (1) Ligonier Valley (10-0)
(7) Southern Huntingdon (5-5) at (2) Bellwood-Antis (9-1)

[center]Saturday[/center]
[left](6) Mount Union (5-5) at (3) Bishop McCort (8-2)[/left]
[left](5) West Shmokin (5-5) at (4) Westmont (6-4)[/left]

[left]Previews, Predictions, thoughts ect. [/left]
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: District 6 AA Playoff Thread

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I don't see any first round upsets here, I think the top teams are pretty well defined.

McCort had two starters out on Friday, but I think they should be healthy enough to go in the playoffs. But that's something to monitor. Are the other top teams at full health?
DCor50
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DCor50 »

At this point in the season, I don't think anyone would be at full health...
Bitoffun
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Bitoffun »

Just saw Bellwood 2 weeks ago, only 1 kid in street clothes then.
Kvothe0
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Kvothe0 »

I like the top four teams in this field.  Westmont is a very scary 4 seed.  If they were to get a lead on Ligonier Valley and put pressure on them, it could make for a VERY interesting game.

Finals:  Mccort over Ligonier.  I really think Ligonier has the most talent, but their reputation proceeds them.  Until they are able to win a district championship, I just can't bring myself to pick them.
Sleeper:  Westmont, seems to be everyone's sleeper.  They run 5 plays, but dang they run them pretty darn good.
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

Kvothe0 wrote:I like the top four teams in this field.  Westmont is a very scary 4 seed.  If they were to get a lead on Ligonier Valley and put pressure on them, it could make for a VERY interesting game.

Finals:  Mccort over Ligonier.  I really think Ligonier has the most talent, but their reputation proceeds them.  Until they are able to win a district championship, I just can't bring myself to pick them.
Sleeper:  Westmont, seems to be everyone's sleeper.  They run 5 plays, but dang they run them pretty darn good.
It's very comical to me to listen to some of these arguments.  The only sleeping going on around Westmont is everyone sleeping when they go to watch this team play.  
If Ligonier's reputation proceeds itself, then why doesn't Westmont's?  I seem to remember last year at this time Westmont was everyone's favorite sleeper then too. I'm guessing, because they were playing a Heritage team then too.  I don't remember what the final was exactly, but Penns Manor beat them by 40-50 points.  Ligonier will have more points than Westmont will have total yards.  
CrimsonLion
Senior
Senior

Post by CrimsonLion »

Westmont can keep a game close, but in the end they just don't have the number of athletes. Against McCort they kept things tight but then McCort's athletes just took control of the game. Ligonier I think has too many skill difference makers. Westmont does have a big line and if you let them dictate the pace you could be in for a letdown, but I just don't see it.
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

CrimsonLion wrote:Westmont can keep a game close, but in the end they just don't have the number of athletes. Against McCort they kept things tight but then McCort's athletes just took control of the game. Ligonier I think has too many skill difference makers. Westmont does have a big line and if you let them dictate the pace you could be in for  a letdown, but I just don't see it.
Ligonier has the size to match Westmont.  When it comes to athleticism, Westmont is severely outclassed.  They aren't going to be able to dictate the pace, because they aren't going to convert first downs.    
Kvothe0
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Kvothe0 »

ChrisKentRam wrote:
Kvothe0 wrote:I like the top four teams in this field.  Westmont is a very scary 4 seed.  If they were to get a lead on Ligonier Valley and put pressure on them, it could make for a VERY interesting game.

It's very comical to me to listen to some of these arguments.  The only sleeping going on around Westmont is everyone sleeping when they go to watch this team play.  
If Ligonier's reputation proceeds itself, then why doesn't Westmont's?  I seem to remember last year at this time Westmont was everyone's favorite sleeper then too. I'm guessing, because they were playing a Heritage team then too.  I don't remember what the final was exactly, but Penns Manor beat them by 40-50 points.  Ligonier will have more points than Westmont will have total yards.  
Well I did pick Ligonier to beat Westmont.  I said IF Westmont were to score first they could make it interesting.  That is a big IF. Let's not get our panties all in a bunch here. People are high on Westmont for a few reasons, one of them being how they played Johnstown.  They were a 2 pt conversion away from winning that game.  If you want to know how good Johnstown is just look how they played the best team in D6 (BG) with the exception of State College.  
The thing with Ligonier is I have read this story before.  Seems to me it is almost yearly.  They blow through the Heritage.  I hear how great they are.  I hear this is the year.  And then, they go out with a whimper.  Whether you like it or not, until they are able to break through and win a D6 championship, many people will feel the same way I do.
costanza
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by costanza »

they don't blow through the Heritage every year...this is the 3rd time they have won it since the league's inception, which was 2000.