Friday Scores 11/11

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
sparky
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Friday Scores 11/11

Post by sparky »

[ mquote="Kvothe0"]Wow, I just read the Tribune Democrat saw article in the paper on the Westmont-LV game. I don't think Ligonier's coach has a humble bone in his body. What a jerk.[/quote]

Can you post the article or comments here?
Live Life to the fullest
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Why should he not be honest, they are the team to beat
GoDragons
Senior
Senior

Post by GoDragons »

There's a difference between a team winning and not be able to "handle it" versus a team winning and being able to "handle it" with class.  The same goes for losing. Those that don't know how to "handle it" are the ones that typically get the criticism.
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

sparky wrote:[ mquote="Kvothe0"]Wow, I just read the Tribune Democrat saw article in the paper on the Westmont-LV game. I don't think Ligonier's coach has a humble bone in his body. What a jerk.
Can you post the article or comments here?[/quote]

While I agree he can be arrogant and a jerk at times, I'm not sure what you have such an issue with here. 

He gives bleachercoaches credit by saying all these people talked about what this power running team was going to come over the mountain and do to us. He's right. All the guys that think the LHAC is the only place where the game of football is played said Westmont this and Westmont that especially coming into the playoffs. 

I guess if you want to get worked up over him saying the turnovers happened because the defense punched westmont in the mouth you could.  You can give your defense credit without wording it like that, but I don't know that I would get that worked up over it. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I saw nothing out of line in the article today.

Sour grapes?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Yeah I don't think he said anything wrong, if they want to use Bleachercoaches as bulletin board material, he's not the first coach to do so.

I mean, was anyone saying on here that Westmont was definitively going to beat Ligonier?  I just think some people said if Westmont plays their best game they could maybe pull an upset.

Even so, I don't think anyone was going out on a ledge questioning Ligonier. When's the last time they won a District semifinal game before last night?  The book on them has been they haven't had playoff success. It's fair to wonder about it until they actually do it.
BlueYonder
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BlueYonder »

Yes Beitel can be  a little arrogant - but we all knew that.  However, I took what he said as a big compliment (genuine) to his players and he was playing (a little over the top) the disrespect card.  WH should not have been beat down physically like they were against LV.  LV controlled the LOS.  In the second half - LV ran 33 plays and WH ran 8.  WH is better than that.  They played better, closer games against the top 3 LHAC teams.  The LV players did a great job up front.  I think that was his point.  How he said it could have been a little more "politically correct" but what he said was accurate.  LV did not beat them with their skill and athleticism, they beat them physically.
LloydChristmas
Freshman
Freshman

Post by LloydChristmas »

A week or so ago a poster made mention of the Laurel Valley program and it's association with Ligonier. This is just another reason why Laurel Valley people do not want that association. Would Coach Page have ever made a comment like that in the newspaper? Would any of the guys that we may view as being on the "Mount Rushmore of D6 head football coaches" ever make comments like that in the newspaper? Most coaches would say something alluding to giving the other team credit and that it was a great challenge or we were able to execute our game plan or something of that nature. Not spouting off to a reporter and telling them what you may have said in the locker room or what you have used all week as motovation. Coach Bietel may want to try speaking to the media the way adults are supposed to. I've heard many times where he complains about not getting enough media coverage or refusing to speak to some radio people. Maybe it is due to childish issues like the quote from last night's game or from his actions and words from a few years back when they played that team from Maryland. On another note, I think all the parochial schools should gave to count the attendance of all of the schools they draw from since that is what public schools have to do if they have a co-op with another school. I've been for public schools my entire life but may just be rooting for one next week when Liggy takes the field...
BlueYonder
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BlueYonder »

You can root for whomever you want.  Beitel rubs a lot of people the wrong way.  But he is not the team.  The team is the kids.  There is an association with Laurel Valley and the current LV Rams.    Just like there is an association with the Ligonier Mounties.   Several of the players have brothers, dads, uncles and cousins who have played for Laurel Valley.  The team is made up of kids from Stahlstown, Wilpen, Laughlintown, Seward, Fairfield, Bolivar and New Florence.  They all could care less about the consolidation controversy from a few years ago.  They have all been together since sixth grade and are now a band of brothers - just like other teams  in the area.  If you don't like Beitel so be it.  He is not as bad as people on here say he is but I can see where he gets to people.  But he is one guy.  The kids are the home team for people from the valley and - IMO - they should be supported such.  What they have done this year so far is special.    
Kvothe0
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Kvothe0 »

ChrisKentRam wrote:
sparky wrote:[ mquote="Kvothe0"]Wow, I just read the Tribune Democrat saw article in the paper on the Westmont-LV game. I don't think Ligonier's coach has a humble bone in his body. What a jerk.
Can you post the article or comments here?
While I agree he can be arrogant and a jerk at times, I'm not sure what you have such an issue with here. 

He gives bleachercoaches credit by saying all these people talked about what this power running team was going to come over the mountain and do to us. He's right. All the guys that think the LHAC is the only place where the game of football is played said Westmont this and Westmont that especially coming into the playoffs. 

I guess if you want to get worked up over him saying the turnovers happened because the defense punched westmont in the mouth you could.  You can give your defense credit without wording it like that, but I don't know that I would get that worked up over it. [/quote]

LOL, I'm not worked up. Not even a Westmont fan.  He just comes off as a jerk.  Exactly what people was he referring to? The 5 people on this site? If that's what gets him fired up, so be it I guess.