AA State Semifinal Thread: Ligonier vs. Southern Columbia

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: AA State Semifinal Thread: Ligonier vs. Southern Columbia

Post by deepcreek »

Please explain how SC a public school gets kids from all over?  Just curious.
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

Please explain how SC a public school gets kids from all over? Just curious.
They just don't go to Mt Carmel anymore. They prefer Roth.

Don't make it about where the kids come from, a week ago LV was going to cruise into a final because SC was to young. They are good !! This isn't a new development. Any program going to the final that many times has a good base and good program. How many are 2nd generation by now ? You have to live with it, at least you didn't lose by a credit card !!

2015 Southern Columbia (4) Aliquippa (7) 49-14
2011 Clairton (7) Southern Columbia (4) 35-19
2006 Southern Columbia (4) West Middlesex (10) 56-14
2005 Southern Columbia (4) Duquesne (7) 50-19
2004 Southern Columbia (4) Rochester (7) 35-0
2003 Southern Columbia (4) Bishop Carroll (6) 49-20
2002 Southern Columbia (4) Rochester Area (7) 31-6
2001 Rochester (7) Southern Columbia (4) 16-0
2000 Rochester (7) Southern Columbia (4) 22-14
1999 South Side (7) Southern Columbia (4) 27-21
1998 Rochester (7) Southern Columbia (4) 18-0
1996 Farrell (7) Southern Columbia (4) 14-12
1995 Farrell (7) Southern Columbia (4) 6-0
1994 Southern Columbia (4) Western Beaver (7) 49-6
-BIRDS OF PREY-
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

OpinionatedOrange wrote:I was fortunate enough to attend this game on Friday and it was one of the most entertaining football games I have ever watched. I was really impressed with the way SC dominated up front for most of the game. I was also very impressed with LV's resiliency coming back against a top program like SC. I was surprised Smith didn't go to Tutino more because he was wide-open all game and had two big plays. Also a couple explosive kick off returns. SC pressured Smith a lot so that could of played a big factor into not being able to find the open receiver. This game reminded me that the better team does not always win. LV had 4 turnovers to SC's zero and only lost by 4. If LV plays a better first half we probably would be discussing them vs Steel Valley and not SC. Besides the fact, great season for a very talented LV squad that does not get kids to play for them from all over like SC does. Congrats to SC and good luck to them against Steel Valley! I'm hoping I can attend that game.
Like that you included the last part about SC getting kids from all over to at for them.  Way to make an excuse for losing to an equally talented team.  Lol
ChrisKentRam
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ChrisKentRam »

SC Played a great game and Ligonier really didn't.  It was certainly an exciting game to watch, especially the second half, but Ligonier didn't play their best game.  SC played a big part in that because they created pressure on Smith.  They also were able to oppose their will and run the ball very effectively offensively.  With all that being said I still believed Ligonier was going to find a way to come back and win.  Unfortunately they didn't, whether that was because of coaching or players it really doesn't matter.  As a team they didn't make enough plays to win the game.  SC did, my hat goes off to them.  Although Smith didn't play his best game it doesn't change my opinion of him.  He is still a tremendous quarterback and safety.  He had a bad game.  He's a kid, it happens.  
OpinionatedOrange
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by OpinionatedOrange »

deepcreek wrote:Please explain how SC a public school gets kids from all over?  Just curious.
Well at the game I spoke with a gentleman from SC and he was raving about their talent every year and how their team is always a nice mixture of some transfer students and some homegrown kids. He explained to me that a good amount of their players had moved in from other areas to play football. 
OpinionatedOrange
Sophomore
Sophomore

youngbuck wrote:
OpinionatedOrange wrote:I was fortunate enough to attend this game on Friday and it was one of the most entertaining football games I have ever watched. I was really impressed with the way SC dominated up front for most of the game. I was also very impressed with LV's resiliency coming back against a top program like SC. I was surprised Smith didn't go to Tutino more because he was wide-open all game and had two big plays. Also a couple explosive kick off returns. SC pressured Smith a lot so that could of played a big factor into not being able to find the open receiver. This game reminded me that the better team does not always win. LV had 4 turnovers to SC's zero and only lost by 4. If LV plays a better first half we probably would be discussing them vs Steel Valley and not SC. Besides the fact, great season for a very talented LV squad that does not get kids to play for them from all over like SC does. Congrats to SC and good luck to them against Steel Valley! I'm hoping I can attend that game.
Like that you included the last part about SC getting kids from all over to at for them.  Way to make an excuse for losing to an equally talented team.  Lol
I'm not making an excuse for LV losing the game I was just pointing out the fact that they are a special squad given that they don't get outside talent to come play for them. It's not like I am from LV and making excuses for them, just thought it was amazing how talented of a squad they had and to almost take out an historic program was a great accomplishment. 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Coach, you shouldn't feel compelled to come on here to defend your team over a 14-1 season. That speaks for itself. Nice season.
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

OpinionatedOrange wrote:
deepcreek wrote:Please explain how SC a public school gets kids from all over?  Just curious.
Well at the game I spoke with a gentleman from SC and he was raving about their talent every year and how their team is always a nice mixture of some transfer students and some homegrown kids. He explained to me that a good amount of their players had moved in from other areas to play football. 
I know the team, area, coach and players well. This statement is bunko. If you saw the names from the rosters 20 years ago, you'd see they're the same names. 99% of those players came up through an incredible feeder system that is coached by former players. 
OpinionatedOrange
Sophomore
Sophomore

LVCoachFoust wrote:Konjo78,
I'm not going to argue with you about what happ
ens or goes on at LV.  I've been on the staff for 13 years.  I do know a few things though.  Number 1, we have outstanding young men that work very, very hard and love the game of football.  They respect the game and play how it should be played.  Number 2, say what you want about Coach Beitel, but I don't think there is another coach that works as hard as he does to get our players to play at the next level.  We've had a good number of players move on and play in college.  Many more than all of the other Heritage teams.  He understands what it takes to play at that level and pushes our players to work hard to achieve those goals.  I've been with him since 2004, before we arrived, LV was a door mat.  Everyone wanted them for there Homecoming game.  Now that the program is established, it's critiqued more than any other program around.  Especially on this site.  I truly don't know why.  I would love to personally meet some of you on here and see who you are, hiding behind a screen name.  We just lost and finished 14-1.  What else do you experts want us to do?
Congrats on the great season coach! Looking forward to following you guys next season a lot more thoroughly than I did this year. 
OpinionatedOrange
Sophomore
Sophomore

billmurray wrote:
OpinionatedOrange wrote:
I know the team, area, coach and players well. This statement is bunko. If you saw the names from the rosters 20 years ago, you'd see they're the same names. 99% of those players came up through an incredible feeder system that is coached by former players. 
Okay I was just going from what I was told by one of their fans.