AA State Semifinal Thread: Ligonier vs. Southern Columbia

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
bleacherbum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

AA State Semifinal Thread: Ligonier vs. Southern Columbia

Post by bleacherbum »

I hope Ligonier wins, I watched last years championship game. I don't know how much Southern Columbia lost from last years team but they destroyed Aliquppa might have been the best blocking and tackling team I have seen in my 40 odd years of watching high school football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: AA State Semifinal Thread: Ligonier vs. Southern Columbia

Post by billmurray »

bleacherbum wrote:I hope Ligonier wins, I watched last years championship game. I don't know how much Southern Columbia lost from last years team but they destroyed Aliquppa  might have been the best blocking and tackling team I have seen in my 40 odd years of watching high school football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Southern lost nearly their entire team to graduation. They are in the semi again because the current players saw plenty of time on the field last year...and Jim Roth is one of the best coaches in the state.  For others, I've had Ligonier ranked #1 the entire year..Definitely not under the radar..(unless you ask Barns of the PG, he thinks Steel Valley is a 4 td favorite..but hasn't seen them and it doesn't matter) This is the year to get past southern, most of this team returns and Jim Roth has said his freshmen class is the best he's ever seen at SC
OpinionatedOrange
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by OpinionatedOrange »

Some of the writers in news papers and online have picked against them in a lot of the games. At least from what I've read throughout the playoffs.
Iceman80
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Iceman80 »

Did anyone else see the SC vs SH game last week? SC definitely has young talent, no doubt about that, but I was surprised at how Haven's defense gave them fits and matched their speed. SH had a nice team so I mean no disrespect when I say that their defense doesnt come close to LV's. I'm not sure if it was just a very bad game for SC, but if they had trouble scoring last week they will have a lot of trouble finding the end zone against the Rams. SC's defense certainly won that game for them, but they have given up over 240 points on the season compared to LV's 56 while averaging just over 3 points more per game. Again, no disrespect to SH, but the Rams offense is far superior and they certainly won't be kept out of the end zone. Just based on what I saw last week, SC is going to have to score four touchdowns to keep pace and that will be a very tall task so my question is whether or not SH was the best defensive unit the Tigers had seen all season or if their offense just played poorly? It certainly seemed as though the credit should go to the SH defensive unit, but I could certainly be wrong, and if that is the case I can easily see LV winning by 3 or 4 TDs.
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

SH looked huge on tape (at least by AA standards to me).   SH seemed to have been playing very well and absolutely manhandled West Catholic the week before, which I found surprising(considering the Philly Catholic league rep.)
I think SC is very young and they might not be able to match up, but I do think they are better than Dunmore because they can throw the ball as well.  That freshman wideout appears to be something on tape.  He will be scary as a senior.
Who knows, Ligonier might pass all over them and if SC has more than three 3 and outs for the game they wont be able to keep pace.  IMHO.   SC looks pretty big as well, we'll see if they can impart their will in the running game.   Looking at their schedule I'd say the Seilinsgrove (sp?) win was the best.  The Seals are most likely equivalent to Johnstown this year.   Seals threw the ball a lot and had success.  I would assume that Ligonier will throw for 250+ in this game as well.

Hard to say what will happen.
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

this game, for those who can't go, will be broadcast online at www.fox56.com
HaroldSakata
Freshman
Freshman

Post by HaroldSakata »

I think LV gets them.  SCA too young and I don't think they really got challenged til last week and they needed a pick 6 and KO return to put the game away.
OpinionatedOrange
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by OpinionatedOrange »

My prediction of Ligonier 42 Southern Columbia 21 may honestly be generous towards SC as far as how many touchdowns they will score. I could see them being held to less because of how stout Ligonier's defense is. LV has a ton of speed on defense. Gaurenteed LV's defense will be the fastest and most dynamic SC has faced all year.
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

Just read an article about the 4 freshman that start for SC.  Pretty amazing that a team this close to state finals could have 4 freshman not only contribute but excel.  The wideout no 4 looks pretty darn good on tape. So. QB looks above average as well.  We shall see if this ability to throw will help them sustain drives as I don't see them consistently running on LV 
TPT62
Freshman
Freshman

Post by TPT62 »

OpinionatedOrange wrote:My prediction of Ligonier 42 Southern Columbia 21 may honestly be generous towards SC as far as how many touchdowns they will score. I could see them being held to less because of how stout Ligonier's defense is. LV has a ton of speed on defense. Gaurenteed LV's defense will be the fastest and most dynamic SC has faced all year.
I'd like to know how people are so sure that the other team has never faced such a defense or such an offense. Being from the Harrisburg area I have attended HS games for 40 years and I know this, there are 16,17 and 18 year old kids playing and anything can happen. Turnovers, injuries, bad officiating. I sure most people on here have not truly watched or analyzed an opponent, the strength of schedule or playoff experience of the coaching staff to truly make such guarantees.