Class A State Title Thread: Bishop Guilfoyle vs. Clairton

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
animus
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: Class A State Title Thread: Bishop Guilfoyle vs. Clairton

Post by animus »

TheRealBleacherCoach wrote:This isn't the best team BG has played this year. Wade is a big time player but BG is loaded. They are gonna run the ball right at you. ill go BG 35-19 or 42-20. Something along those lines. 
Honestly, this is strength on strength. I've never seen a team run ground and pound and threw up 30+ on a Clairton defense. BG must throw the ball some on early downs or Clairton will just T off. Even against a team with speed like Aliquippa, Clairton busted up plays before they started. You absolutely have to keep Clairton honest. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

animus wrote:I think you meant to say the last three games, which is a valid point. Noah Hamlin was hurt for the Northgate and Jeannette games. The story with this Bears team is the defense. Farrell started inside the Bears 20 four times and came up with just one touchdown. But the lack of offense is a true statement. The last time Clairton scored 40+, it was an 8-8 game at halftime.

If I'm BG, I kick every punt and kickoff out-of-bounds, and concede field position. You don't want the ball in Wade or Hamlin's hands in the open field.
Yes, 3 games. This favors BG. Their kicker is 5th in the NATION in touchbacks and has made a FG at 52 yards. They don't punt often but when they do it's around 50 yards. Not bad at all.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
TheRealBleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheRealBleacherCoach »

I get clairton has athletes but I think BG does to. If I'm BG I don't do anything different. BG has athletes to match clairton. I also see BG line wearing down and taking advantage of the size of clairtons line. If Clairton wins I won't be shocked. They have the confidence to hang with anyone. But I just can't see this game going their way.
animus
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by animus »

12HankQB wrote:
animus wrote:I think you meant to say the last three games, which is a valid point. Noah Hamlin was hurt for the Northgate and Jeannette games. The story with this Bears team is the defense. Farrell started inside the Bears 20 four times and came up with just one touchdown. But the lack of offense is a true statement. The last time Clairton scored 40+, it was an 8-8 game at halftime.

If I'm BG, I kick every punt and kickoff out-of-bounds, and concede field position. You don't want the ball in Wade or Hamlin's hands in the open field.
Yes, 3 games. This favors BG. Their kicker is 5th in the NATION in touchbacks and has made a FG at 52 yards. They don't punt often but when they do it's around 50 yards. Not bad at all.
That isn't bad at all. 
animus
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by animus »

TheRealBleacherCoach wrote:I get clairton has athletes but I think BG does to. If I'm BG I don't do anything different. BG has athletes to match clairton. I also see BG line wearing down and taking advantage of the size of clairtons line. If Clairton wins I won't be shocked. They have the confidence to hang with anyone. But I just can't see this game going their way.
That's fair. But precisely why I say this will be a defensive struggle or a game like two years ago. The difference in that game was a fake punt and a screen pass. Both calls were brilliant calls at the right time. It's calls like those that will be the difference on Friday as well. 
bigrig15
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by bigrig15 »

I have a feeling this is going to be a classic. This is the game both teams have been waiting for since the last meeting. BG doesn't have the same athletes across the board as they did the last time but Wheeler is a great coach and will put them in position to make plays. That being said it's going to be one play difference and the big play ability of Clairton I think will be that difference 
Clairton 27-21 
I hope I'm wrong though as a D6 guy 
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TAHS92Alum »

Farrell started inside the Bears 20 four times and came up with just one touchdown
They do that with BG and it will be 4 for 4. I believe in speed, but power football goes a long way. I just don't think the Bears can handle the size. That Farrell team was rolled in last years final. I look for a closer game this year but I'd say 10 to 14 point edge.

I am on board for Wade to commit at PSU though !!
-BIRDS OF PREY-
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Undoubtedly the best two teams in A, should be great game and chess match between the coaching staff.
The ability of Fanelli and Frederick to play contain against the jet sweep of Clariton will be on of the keys to the game. They are as good of a pair of defensive ends as I have seen.
InsideZone
Freshman
Freshman

Post by InsideZone »

Everyone has been talking about this game since Evan tore his ACL in June. They eased him in last week but this week he will see a lot more reps. He adds another scoring threat for BG (rushing, receiving, passing). Two really good teams with a ton of talent. I don't think Wade will be denied this time around. Then hopefully chooses to stay in the city for the next 3-4 years and goes to Pitt. Clairton-28 BG-24
OpinionatedOrange
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by OpinionatedOrange »

This game should be a good one. Lots of speedy athletes for Calirton. Wade and Hamlin lead the charge as future division one football players. BG relies on their big line to control the game. I think this game could be a back and forth battle. This is a tough game to pick.