Class A State Title Thread: Bishop Guilfoyle vs. Clairton

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
TheRealBleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Class A State Title Thread: Bishop Guilfoyle vs. Clairton

Post by TheRealBleacherCoach »

bigrig15 wrote:I have a feeling this is going to be a classic. This is the game both teams have been waiting for since the last meeting. BG doesn't have the same athletes across the board as they did the last time but Wheeler is a great coach and will put them in position to make plays. That being said it's going to be one play difference and the big play ability of Clairton I think will be that difference 
Clairton 27-21 
I hope I'm wrong though as a D6 guy 
Have you watched BG? They don't give up big plays. They are just as athletic as Clairton. This BG squad may not have the star power the 2014 BG team had but they are the most complete team in the area. Offense, Defense, and Specials. 
bigrig15
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by bigrig15 »

TheRealBleacherCoach wrote:
bigrig15 wrote:I have a feeling this is going to be a classic. This is the game both teams have been waiting for since the last meeting. BG doesn't have the same athletes across the board as they did the last time but Wheeler is a great coach and will put them in position to make plays. That being said it's going to be one play difference and the big play ability of Clairton I think will be that difference 
Clairton 27-21 
I hope I'm wrong though as a D6 guy 
Have you watched BG? They don't give up big plays. They are just as athletic as Clairton. This BG squad may not have the star power the 2014 BG team had but they are the most complete team in the area. Offense, Defense, and Specials. 
They are very athletic but the speed is more what I am talking about. The last time BG played a team that had the type of team speed they will see was Jtown and they had some success against BG and I think Clairton has a couple more athletes then Jtown did. 
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

Clairton plays sloppy, it will catch up to them this week. Fumble 10 snaps in this game and they might lose by 30.
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

Yeah deepcreek, I read about that too in their last win, Clairton had a LOT of problems with the shotgun snap. And I'm of the opinion now more than ever in the game of football the old adage of a poor snap messes up the timing of the play is a big deal. So many formations run out of shotgun.

Speaking of that, BG runs pretty much exclusively out of the gun and look at the Johnstown game, they barely pass. The thing that impressed me with them that game is just the way they sustained a drive when they needed one. The best thing they did to neutralize JHS' offense was to keep them off the field. When you play a BG, you have to make every offensive series count, and I know there were probably a few that JHS wishes they could have back.

Clairton has great athletes no doubt, but I see BG grinding it out behind that big offensive line and winning a close one.
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

animus wrote:I think you meant to say the last three games, which is a valid point. Noah Hamlin was hurt for the Northgate and Jeannette games. The story with this Bears team is the defense. Farrell started inside the Bears 20 four times and came up with just one touchdown. But the lack of offense is a true statement. The last time Clairton scored 40+, it was an 8-8 game at halftime.

If I'm BG, I kick every punt and kickoff out-of-bounds, and concede field position. You don't want the ball in Wade or Hamlin's hands in the open field.
Animus, it's great to get the perspective of a Clairton follower on this forum.  You're right about kicking out-of-bounds.  BG faced some explosive speed against Johnstown and they did just that.  Every kick went to the sideline.  In addition to respecting Jtown's speed, BG also respected their ability to pick-six.  They used their monstrous line and handed Irwin the ball 37 or 38 times.  I look for the same against the Bears.
I see that you're predicting Clairton 22-20.  Better make that 22-21.  McGhee is as sure as sunrise on the PAT's.  And the extra points may have been the biggest difference the last time around.
dadw/2sons
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dadw/2sons »

First of all did you notice that nobody answered my question about the BG linemen? That pretty much answers the question without a response doesn't it?
Then about LV. I never even heard of 2 of the 3 schools these kids were moving from into LV. I have heard of Greensburg-Salem. The difference between parochial and public transfers is that residence must be established inside the school district and local taxes must be paid. Unless you know more about these 3 kids you would have to think that there could have been job opportunities involved or other reasons. These kids will not live in another school district and drive to LV to attend the school and then drive back to another school district.
I know transfers happen in the public schools, but not to the degree in the private section. In the public system the family or at least part of it has to at least look like residency is being set up in the new district. That is the difference. 
deepcreek
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deepcreek »

Not really true I don;t think.  If you pay tuition equivalent tax you can send your child to any school you like.   I dont know how that impacts their school functions, but I assume they could partake once cleared by the PIAA.
fdc173
Freshman
Freshman

Post by fdc173 »

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Dadw/2sons - where do you think the kids from BG commute from? What school district do they live in? Where do they pay taxes to every year?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You named one lineman that transferred after the team had one successful year.  Everyone in the area said that BG was going to be significantly worse the next year.  The talent in that program is their own and if you don't want to look at at facts and continue to be ignorant to where these kids actually came from go right ahead, but don't knock the kids that have been working to win a state championship since they were in grade school.  [/font]
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

fdc173 wrote:[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Dadw/2sons - where do you think the kids from BG commute from? What school district do they live in? Where do they pay taxes to every year?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]You named one lineman that transferred after the team had one successful year.  Everyone in the area said that BG was going to be significantly worse the next year.  The talent in that program is their own and if you don't want to look at at facts and continue to be ignorant to where these kids actually came from go right ahead, but don't knock the kids that have been working to win a state championship since they were in grade school.  [/font]
Don't waste your time. No matter what you say he is gonna trash private schools. He is nothing but a troll. 
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

On a side note....Isn't it interesting that there are 12 teams still playing for State Titles this weekend. 6 Private schools and 6 Public schools.....hmmmm. Seems pretty even to me.