Class A State Title Thread: Bishop Guilfoyle vs. Clairton

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Class A State Title Thread: Bishop Guilfoyle vs. Clairton

Post by 12HankQB »

animus wrote:[justify]Since when was Clairton a "one man team?" Noah Hamlin is getting several P5 offers and then there are kids like Clifford and Howard that can slay an opponent. Sure Wade is a top notch talent worthy of his acculades, but there's a lot more to Clairton than just Wade. Then on the defensive side of the ball, remember the name Maurice Reeves. That kid will likely be a P5 recruit, this tike next year, at DE. Clairton only has three SRs so this squad just may be back in Hershey next year. There's quite a bit of D1 and D2 talent on Clairtons roster. What we're not is a one man show.[/justify]

As for sloppy play. I figure it to be a one week anomaly. Clairton wasn't that sloppy until last week. I rewatched the Northgate and Jeannette games and specifically looked for botched snaps and didn't see any. With that said, I'd hope that it doesn't carry over.
Clairton wasn't very sloppy in the slop that was the Alliquippa game. Of all the games, this was the worst conditions and Wade still ran on it like it was turf.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
lhacbigfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by lhacbigfan »

Does Clairton have a good passing game? That's how Johnstown competed, they hit some big pass plays. I don't think you will be able to run much on them. I could see Wade breaking a long run but I don't know if Clairton can run the ball methodically down the field on the Marauders. If they can pass though it could give BG a run for their money.
animus
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by animus »

BG is the favorite here. They're a state championship away from being in the same breath as Clairton and SCA. Not to mention, they're a season and a half away from breaking Clairtons 66 games streak and having their own record. I can't help but respect and admire what BG has accomplished and what can potentially accomplish. Like BG or don't like BG, they are the standard.

For Clairton, this is a redemption game. A person with dementia can remember what happened two years ago. Can Clairton win/lose with class and sportsmanship will be the question everyone is asking. It was a black eye to the program.

BG isn't the first massive oline Clairton has faced and certainly won't be the last. 90% of the season Clairton is much smaller, up front. Most of Clairtons dl would be LBs and our LBs would be safetys if they played at another school. But that aspect is why Clairton is so fast, especially on defense.

This could vary well go down to BG having a fg kicker and Clairton not having one. If it's 4th and 10 from the 12, BG will kick the fg and come away with 3 whilst Clairton could potentially come away with zero. Special teams will probably decide this contest.

Does BG run a lot of zone read? I'd imagine they do since they play out of the shotgun.

Yes Clairton can pass the ball, but Hamlin is streaky. He can look like the worst qb ever, one drive, and like Peyton Manning the next drive. Even Wade can throw, if needed.
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

Maybe it's time to pull another thread into this one.

BG can't go toe-to-toe with Clairton in terms of athleticism or big-play potential, unless.....
Evan Chadbourne is truly back. Single A State Player of the Year last year, over 2,000 yards rushing, and throws as well as Trybus. Last week he saw just a few plays on defense.
A healthy Chadbourne does at least help to balance the equation.
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

Steve92 wrote:Maybe it's time to pull another thread into this one.

BG can't go toe-to-toe with Clairton in terms of athleticism or big-play potential, unless.....
Evan Chadbourne is truly back.  Single A State Player of the Year last year, over 2,000 yards rushing, and  throws as well as Trybus.  Last week he saw just a few plays on defense.  
A healthy Chadbourne does at least help to balance the equation.
 He was very gimpy on the field last week for the few plays he was in.  Unless that was a big show I can't see him being much of a factor in this game..... that said, I wouldn't put something like that past coach wheeler. He knows how to play the mental game as well
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

EaglealumsGhost wrote:Yes but out over 500 schools in PIAA/WPIAL,Less than 1/4 are privates, soooooo, 6-6 is a much higher percentage of privates to public
Actually, "private" schools (charters included) make up 11% of the football classes. When the playoffs started, 11.5% of the teams in the playoffs were "private", the rest were traditional pubs.  The separation came 2 weeks ago. 
WPIAL~Titan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WPIAL~Titan »

Have seen both teams play.

BG will manhandle Clariton on the LoS. This is usually where the taking stops and the action begins.

Clariton's chance lies with Wade. If he goes insane like Revis did in the PIAA final his SR year, the Clariton can win. 
"Those who say it can't be done are being interrupted by those who are doing it."

Author unknown
Penn1971
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Penn1971 »

superstar25
Senior
Senior

Post by superstar25 »

Does anyone know if this game will be steaming live anywhere, for those of us who don't have cable and PCN?
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

superstar25 wrote:Does anyone know if this game will be steaming live anywhere, for those of us who don't have cable and PCN?
In the past you could get one day online access to PCN for $6, equal to gate admission if you went to the game. Minus the gas money you save and sitting in a warm home it's worth the price. I doubt you'll be able to stream it for free since PCN has the tv rights.