BG Rebuilding

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
MrReliable
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: BG Rebuilding

Post by MrReliable »

On December 20, 2015 I wrote on a thread here:

"While I do not believe this BG team was recruited whatsoever, I will say that if any big name players from Altoona, Bellwood, Hollidaysburg, etc. transfer over for next season, I will not be able to continue defending them. Time will tell I suppose..."

Well, this has become a tipping point for me. I can't sit here and defend any longer. There's no doubt without the McGeary and Ramsey transfer from Altoona, BG probably wouldn't have won this year. Now add Sankey to the list, and it's beginning to look flat out ugly. I really fear this is going to delegitimize the program as a whole (from the AD, to Wheeler, on down).
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Had this discussion at basketball game and was told by someone with a family member on the football staff that Parker Mitchell WR from Tyrone will be wearing Purple and Gold next year, did not hear about the Altoona running back but who knows at this point.
WhiteOwl
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by WhiteOwl »

If I were a parent of a football player in the Altoona School district, I would seriously consider transferring my Son to BG. First as long as Altoona competes in the WPIAL, Why would I want to travel 2 hours to an away game on a Friday night, when we can travel less than an hour for any away game BG plays. Secondly, wouldn't you want to compete for a State Championship every year, where it be Single A. As long as Altoona stays in the WPIAL, BG will reap the benefits. What I don't understand is why Altoona let's BG play on their home field at Mansion Park???? Let them play at their home field behind the school. As long as Altoona stays in the WPIAL, Wheeler can just sit back and let Altoona players come to him.
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

For all of your info....The Sankey boy had some issues with people at Altoona and his mother is a BG grad (And his uncle too for that matter). This was not a big stretch to have happened at some point for him....
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Does the Altoona SD own Mansion Park?  Just asking, or is it like Johnstown's Point owned by the city and rented out?  One year BC rented Mansion for a game against FH, in season.  FH took it to BC that had Crookshank, Shilling, and Forcellini, 2 Byich's.  CC had tossed BC off their field.
It ain't over until it's over.
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

Will the new transfer be paying tuition, or will he be receiving substantial funding for his exceptional academics?
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

Regarding PIAA rules (pardon my ignorance)
-Could BG play up a class in football without affecting the school's other sports?
-If BG elected to move up, could they just as easily move back down if/when the talent pool shrinks?
Buckstein
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Buckstein »

Recruiting means you get a free ride. After all said and done BGs tuition is around $7000. I seriously doubt a Catholic school is giving anyone a free ride. If a family decides they can afford it its their choice. As far as Altoona goes the AD own kids go to Catholic school. Whats thats say about Altoona?
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

Steve92 wrote:Regarding PIAA rules (pardon my ignorance)
-Could BG play up a class in football without affecting the school's other sports?
-If BG elected to move up, could they just as easily move back down if/when the talent pool shrinks?
PIAA rules allow teams to choose to play up in class if they want.  The school can choose just one sport or others. 
PIAA reclassifies all teams based on numbers every 2 years.  This school year is the 1st year of the 2 year cycle for all sports. 
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

Buckstein wrote:Recruiting means you get a free ride. After all said and done BGs tuition is around $7000. I seriously doubt a Catholic school is giving anyone a free ride. If a family decides they can afford it its their choice. As far as Altoona goes the AD own kids go to Catholic school. Whats thats say about Altoona?
Perhaps nothing more than that it's a secular school and some folks prefer a faith-based education for their kids.