Thoughts on 6 Classifications

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Thoughts on 6 Classifications

Post by TAHS92Alum »

Was the switch from 4 to 6 classes successful?
The finals were good, with traditional powers in many classes, but was it watered down along the way?
Any changes to be made after year 1?
-BIRDS OF PREY-
TAHS92Alum
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Thoughts on 6 Classifications

Post by TAHS92Alum »

Personally I thought that the break points on school size definitely benefit a lot of schools. I think this is just year 1 of many teams steamrolling to the state final. A lot of their traditional competition fell above or below them in classification, giving other schools and opportunity but also letting the door open as well.

I also thought that the bracket could use some work. Depending on your bracket you could have played every week or had two weeks of down time. I'm not sure which situation is the most beneficial but to me there should be no bye week for a team outside of District round 1.

I also heard of the 2 2 2 format proposed for next year. They were comparing attendance to the Ohio finals. I don't know many fans with no investment that will take 2 days off work to watch some football. Personally I think attendance would be better with a Friday, and 2 on Saturday at separate venues, but here's to wishing. This is where the plug for games in Altoona are inserted :)
-BIRDS OF PREY-
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

I enjoyed being able to watch PA HS football 3 nights in a row without having to drive home after the game. Sleep timer worked to perfection.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I personally liked the 6 classes. 

I'm more interested how it works out for basketball.   Are they trying to do all 12 basketball championships in one place in one weekend? 
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

If you look at other states, PA was late to the party. I liked it but still think they need to revisit the traditional district format.Should be evened out a little better.
Ivanputski
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Ivanputski »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:I personally liked the 6 classes. 

I'm more interested how it works out for basketball.   Are they trying to do all 12 basketball championships in one place in one weekend? 
Crimson...they are playing 2 boys and 2 girls games a day like always, but are adding Thursday. All at the Giant Center.
  Boys games are at 2 pm and 8 pm each day. 
   Thursday is 1A and 3A.
     Friday is 2A and 5A. 
     Saturday is 4A and 6A.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

OK, I was wondering how that would work out. Thanks.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Why not expand it to eight, ten, twelve or even sixteen?  Make it a whole week.  More games, more winners, more losers, more whiners, more trophies
stang4life
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by stang4life »

More events ..More money for PIAA and whoever. I thought the 6 classes was a good move for most. I really believe some local teams benefitted in the new 6 classifications.
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

knowitall wrote:Why not expand it to eight, ten, twelve or even sixteen?  Make it a whole week.  More games, more winners, more losers, more whiners, more trophies
no, 6 is fine and where it should be. thanks for your opinion: signed, every coach I've spoken to this season.