PIAA- All 9th Graders to High School Football

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
bigrig15
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: PIAA- All 9th Graders to High School Football

Post by bigrig15 »

I understand the worry about smaller kids but I think the pros outweigh the cons. Most smaller teams need the kids to fill JV teams but also those freshman will get better learning from the varsity coaches and practicing against the older players. Coaches are smart enough to know when a young player is put in a bad unsafe situation. 
stang4life
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by stang4life »

Right, here at Portage, without the Freshmen class at the varsity/if level. There would have been roughly mid-twenties players standing on the sidelines on Friday nights. And we definitely would not had a JV team. It's almost a must playing Freshmen up in the Westpac.
If I had any concerns when my boys came through the system. I would've been talking to the coach. I thought the coaches here did a great job with my boys and others, understanding what level the kids were at...but hey it is football. It is a contact sport.
I do not think the PIAA should interfere how schools run their programs
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

dadw/2sons wrote:Thank you Manfred for your support. I understand about the JV programs, but what about the Junior High programs. You are asking 7th graders to be ready to play such a physical game as football during their first year of getting official introduction to the game. I know there are a lot of Elementary programs out there, but are the kids getting real good coaching. Then what do the 125 pound freshman whose body is not yet filled out, you are then asking them to go and play against developed juniors and seniors, even if it is only in practice. Doesn't make sense to me. I know at least 2 of my friends had sons that were ninth graders that did not go our for JV/Varsity partly because of their small statue. If they were allowed to stay at the Junior High level for another year then maybe their bodies would be better suited to go up against the older kids.
As far you youngbuck, you probably don't have kids because for me it isn't about my sons' accolades but ti is about his safety. I am the one that is responsible for his safety NOT the school, NOT the league, and NOT the PIAA.
Do you drive your kids to school? or do you have the background check on the bus driver and tail him to the school? Do you sit in class with him everyday? or maybe you coach the team? 
You have to have some faith and accountability on the coach to put players in the right places. You shouldn't have a senior linemen playing pick a hole with a freshmen receiver, yes we know this. Coaches have to step in here, which I'm sure they all pretty much do to avoid any obvious mismatches. 
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

dadw/2sons wrote:Thank you Manfred for your support. I understand about the JV programs, but what about the Junior High programs. You are asking 7th graders to be ready to play such a physical game as football during their first year of getting official introduction to the game. I know there are a lot of Elementary programs out there, but are the kids getting real good coaching. Then what do the 125 pound freshman whose body is not yet filled out, you are then asking them to go and play against developed juniors and seniors, even if it is only in practice. Doesn't make sense to me. I know at least 2 of my friends had sons that were ninth graders that did not go our for JV/Varsity partly because of their small statue. If they were allowed to stay at the Junior High level for another year then maybe their bodies would be better suited to go up against the older kids.
As far you youngbuck, you probably don't have kids because for me it isn't about my sons' accolades but ti is about his safety. I am the one that is responsible for his safety NOT the school, NOT the league, and NOT the PIAA.
Coachfoust does not seem to express any safety concerns.
Interesting that the LHAC has been doing this for years but now because you and your two friends we should discontinue the practice of allowing 9th graders to play varsity, even though there is no data being presented that there were more Injuries from a league that has been doing this for several years.  We have a coach from another conference that is ok with it.
If safety is your concern, soccer sign ups are this way. And remember no heading the ball.  
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

[youtube]of50I4M5Fh0[/youtube]
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by footballfan1 »

I remember one season, and maybe more, where Portage had two JV teams.  I think in early 2000's??  I am assuming 9th graders were brought up then? 
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I've always wondered why the ICC never went to 9th graders on varsity sooner. Some of those teams have less than 28 kids on their roster. How do they run practice if they have a couple of injuries?
dougkeklak
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by dougkeklak »

As CG mentioned, LHAC has been doing this for awhile now. I always just got the impression that for the most part, the ninth graders meld with the JVs but Coach makes good points as to why this should not be the case.

I don't know how much of an impact this has made as far as frosh playing a lot of varsity time league-wide. At Johnstown, I'm not recalling a lot of freshman other than really talented guys that were ready like Alkwan Williams. I think sometimes schools would hold guys back even if they thought they COULD compete though.

It's case-by-case though. LaRod didn't play as a frosh but Reed did. I'm old school and just think that freshman shouldn't be playing varsity unless they are absolutely ready. And coaches and parents should both be involved in those discussions.
Hush1
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Hush1 »

This is the right move.  The  numbers, unfortunately, just aren't there to support it at most schools, but the reason it's right is because Freshmen now essentially get a redshirt year to allow their bodies to grow and develop, learn their varsity coaching staff and system, develop relationships with their coaches & teammates, and settle into the high school life and prepare for the following 3 years, where most have the opportunity to play.

Some Freshmen are able to come right in and play, depending on the situation, and those that are ready greatly benefit from that opportunity and gain great experience that allows them and their team to be much better in the future.

I would so most coaches are very cognizant of protecting 9th graders who are undersized or underdeveloped physically and do not pair them up with older, stronger players in situations where they would get injured.  However, it is a game of physicality, players do need to learn to give & take hits, and as long as the fundamentals are being coached properly to support safe play, these are all benefits for the player and team.  I know of a 2-year starting cornerback at a nearby school who was an excellent tackler because he learned to tackle at the knees and wrap up...I'm positive that's in part because of his size and his willingness to jump in there and compete as a freshman.

Last comment on the safety aspect....how many of you played backyard football with neighborhood guys older and much bigger than you growing up?  I know that I got my face pounded in by guys 5-8 years older than me when playing in the local lot as a youngster, and it made me a MUCH better player down the road.
Hoopfan
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Hoopfan »

Where is the concern for kids that are not physically mature enough to be on the field with 18/19 year old seniors?