Ridge to the LHAC?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
odoyelrules
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Ridge to the LHAC?

Post by odoyelrules »

The Oct 2015 Male Enrollment Figures, I haven't seen more recent information but the trend has been for big enrollment declines in Cambria and Somerset County schools, small enrollment declines in Bedford County.

Somerset 308
Johnstown 298
Bedford 251
Forest Hills 243
Penn Cambria 213
Central Cambria 207
CHESTNUT RIDGE 195
Cambria Heights 189
Richland 187
Westmont Hilltop 170
Bishop McCort 141
Bishop Guilfoyle 128
BISHOP CARROLL 90
GoDragons
Senior
Senior

Post by GoDragons »

Question is, what are all of the numbers in the next several PIAA reclassification cycles?  If they will stay about the same ratios for all, then it's a no brainer to join.  If CR drops way down below the Bishops, then it's a tough call at that point.  I hope the District is looking at that.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

A lot for Ridge would depend on what section they would get put in, from a basketball standpoint you wouldn't want to be in Section II.  That's a tough slate.

I wonder if Ridge replaces Carroll in section I, and Forest Hills and Bedford flip flop.

Section I
Bedford
Bishop Guilfoyle
Chesnut Ridge
Cambria Heights
Central Cambria
Penn Cambria

Section II
Bishop McCort
Forest Hills
Johnstown
Richland
Somerset
Westmont
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

GoDragons wrote:Question is, what are all of the numbers in the next several PIAA reclassification cycles?  If they will stay about the same ratios for all, then it's a no brainer to join.  If CR drops way down below the Bishops, then it's a tough call at that point.  I hope the District is looking at that.
Dropping from 195 to 127 would be a significant jump. Chestnut Ridge is the fifth biggest AA football school in the state, they are only a few kids away from being AAA. 
CRSD83
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by CRSD83 »

Some of the lower classes are anywhere from 90-95 per grade.  If half are boys, that would be 135-143.
GoDragons
Senior
Senior

Post by GoDragons »

CRSD83 wrote:Some of the lower classes are anywhere from 90-95 per grade.  If half are boys, that would be 135-143.
The Lions need to start pumping out some more kids!!!!!
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

How does the lower grades enrollment compare to other LHAC conference members? I have a hard time believing that CR is the only LHAC school with declining enrollment. My guess is several of the LHAC members have lower grade enrollments in the 90-110 range. 
footballguy99
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by footballguy99 »

Football would be competitive.
Wrestling would be competitive.
Baseball would be competitive.
Soccer would be competitive.
Track would be competitive.

Basketball might struggle.  Through the years they have been an average basketball school even against smaller schools.  Like anyone, they'll have some good years but this has not been a strong sport in the past for Chestnut Ridge.

Softball, I don't know anything about.

Volleyball, I don't know anything about.

In terms of track, Ridge has a terrific program.  The competition would help them become even better I think.

Chestnut Ridge can kind of do what they want right now and there are people that love that I would imagine.  They can dominate certain sports against weaker competition.  Why give that up?  At the same time, they would fit into the LHAC size wise as a middle of the pack team.  Does moving to a strong league like this mean they'll fall instead of rise?  Is that what people are afraid of?

In conferences the biggest schools are often the best schools overall.  It just makes sense.  Right now, Ridge has that luxury in the Sideling Hill League.  In the LHAC they wouldn't have that luxury. Richland or Forest Hills are close to Ridge and they would probably like winning the SHL vs stepping up against LHAC competition.  At the same time though, people think more highly of those schools because they are in the LHAC. 

It is a weird type of dynamic.  Outside of football, most of the Ridge sports are probably very comfortable where they are and this takes them outside their comfort zone. Think about it like this, if Bellwood had to make this decision to leave the ICC to move to the LHAC would they?  I think that is what Ridge is battling.  Should Ridge be in the LHAC?  Based on size, I think so. 

Another hypothetical question, if this move was the Westpac saying they had room for Ridge, would Ridge jump at that?  They would be the big dog then.  I think that has a lot to do with this decision. 
GoDragons
Senior
Senior

Post by GoDragons »

abpk2903 wrote:How does the lower grades enrollment compare to other LHAC conference members? I have a hard time believing that CR is the only LHAC school with declining enrollment. My guess is several of the LHAC members have lower grade enrollments in the 90-110 range. 
Good point.  Probably should be looked at.
SportsFan96
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by SportsFan96 »

Here are some of the things I have heard the parents have questions and concerns about.

1. With LHAC rule of playing an all LHAC schedule, how will that affect the wrestling team being able to do things like going to Powerade, KOM and being able to schedule a tougher schedule. In some of the other sports parents are also concerned about losing in-county rivalries that typically draw large crowds.

2. Jr High Baseball- Parents are concerned about there not being any JR High Baseball in the LHAC (is there? I don't know?). I believe last year CR had over 30 7th graders come out for Jr High baseball and just as many 8th graders. In the LHAC 9th graders are moved up and most won't end up playing. Parents are concerned that potentially, a 7th grader coming up would effectively not see any baseball playing time for 3 years. They are concerned because, they feel there are no options for those kids that fall in that age category to play baseball unless they want to travel long distances and pay to go to one of the clubs or leagues over the mountain. Most of those parents know their kids aren't going to be baseball superstars and can't see spending that kind of money and travel time, but don't want to see their kids have to sit 3 years with no baseball.

3. Travel in the winter: Everyone has to deal with the winter weather when traveling for winter sports, but parents have expressed concern about having to travel over the Pleasantville Mountain and Cresson Mountain.

4. Some parents feel this is being pursued because one sport in particular wants it, to the detriment of all the other sports.

5. Declining enrollment: Some have expressed concern about the declining enrollment in Ridge. I know in the paper it was stated that enrollment has been holding steady, but yet at the same time, the administration says it needs to cut programs and positions because enrollment has been declining...so which is it? Holding steady or declining? I think the parents are concerned that if enrollment keeps dropping, what’s to keep the LHAC from doing the same thing to Ridge that it did to Bishop Carroll?

These are just some of the things I have have heard said or saw posted online. Does getting in to the LHAC matter to me? I can take it or leave it. I don't mind the independent schedule, but the world wouldn't end either if they voted to join.