CC school board says split out the private schools

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
fdc173
Freshman
Freshman

Re: CC school board says split out the private schools

Post by fdc173 »

I have said it before and I will say it again, BG has won with talent from within their school, community, etc.  Many will say there are no boundaries which essentially is true but many will not actually take in the remarkable feat these kids from BG have accomplished. I have followed this team for all three championship runs and know the players grew up within the system.  Obviously since it's a private school the all star team magically came into existence Jr/Sr year solely to win a state championship.  Contrary to popular belief these kids have been playing with each other ever since the 1st or 2nd grade, all while watching a struggling varsity BG team that they would soon become.  

The accomplishments go on forever and it is wrong to diminish any of what the kids at BG have done.  It only seems right to scrutinize kids who grew up catholic in Altoona and wanted to attend the catholic school within there city.  It is very easy to knock BG because they beat every local team in the area by multiple touchdowns. If you feel catholic schools have an unfair advantage that is one thing but singling out BG for their success is ridiculous. Central cambria did not seem to care when they picked up their lone win against a brutal Bishop Carroll squad. But BG however is a small college because they have some big kids on their line don't make me laugh.  Forest Hills has a quarterback who is 6'5 220 and built like a middle linebacker.  It's hard to comprehend how anybody including BG could compete with that.  Westmont had a line that was massive but yet lost by 35 points? 

It all ultimately comes down to talent and how it is developed to get the most out of your players.  It's real easy to say on the drive home from Johnstown or Ebensburg and say we can compete with the recruits from Guilfoyle.  However, maybe take some to actually think of the game that just took place.  Did BG make enough mistakes to lose the game, were the sound on defense, did they play together? More often than not the other team probably shot themselves in the foot and played right into the scheme of the BG coaches/players.  That means you lost to a better team on the given night.  Excuses can always be made but at the end of the day this BG program is great and can not be beat.  

So ultimately no one on hear will likely give this any consideration because of the grudge placed on private schools and winning as a whole.  What I am trying to explain however is the players on BG have been going to school together their entire lives.  The last 3 seasons were won with a couple great athletes and a lot of hard work as a team.  The success may continue or it may not I do not know.  The team may be filled with transfers these next couple of years or it may not.  But the recent success was genuine.  It would be ashame if people started to come for athletics because of the success but the past 3 years that has not been the case.  

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it is only right to respect the BG program and give credit to the players for giving the area so much.  D6 football was hardly ever relevant until the past couple years and BG deserves much of the recognition for that. 
Sykotyk
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by Sykotyk »

fdc173 wrote:I have said it before and I will say it again, BG has won with talent from within their school, community, etc.
You've entirely missed the point.
If a North Allegheny could pick the 30 best 'boys' from every grade and foster them in "North Allegheny Academy" and they just so happen to contain the 50 or so best football players, their ability to play against schools like Central Catholic, Seneca Valley, etc doesn't change just because now they're suddenly a 1A school based on PIAA requirements.
It's not the kids BG has to choose from INSIDE their school, it's the dozens of kids OUTSIDE their school they don't have to take that get added to the public school  tally that a school like BG never even has to consider.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

fdc173 wrote:I have said it before and I will say it again, BG has won with talent from within their school, community, etc.  Many will say there are no boundaries which essentially is true but many will not actually take in the remarkable feat these kids from BG have accomplished. I have followed this team for all three championship runs and know the players grew up within the system.  Obviously since it's a private school the all star team magically came into existence Jr/Sr year solely to win a state championship.  Contrary to popular belief these kids have been playing with each other ever since the 1st or 2nd grade, all while watching a struggling varsity BG team that they would soon become.  
s and a lot of hard work as a team.  The success may continue or it may not I do not know.  The team may be filled with transfers these next couple of years or it may not.  But the recent success was genuine.  It would be ashame if people started to come for athletics because of the success but the past 3 years that has not been the case
I agree their first one was legitimate and accurate to what you're saying with "home grown" talent. But after that season they had 2 linemen transfer in. The one was playing for BG yet his Hudl account was all highlights from his Sophomore year at Altoona. If he has been playing there since 2nd grade why did he have an Altoona uniform on? This year their running back is an Altoona transfer as well. 
People who complain only when private schools are good may be bad, but people like you who deny the facts that are right here for everyone to see is even worse.
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Can anyone explain why the RB from Altoona to BG's transfer appears nowhere in the District 6 meeting minutes?
fdc173
Freshman
Freshman

Post by fdc173 »

One lineman transferred in from Altoona and the player did not even play his sophomore year at Altoona. That is the only player that anyone can say came into the program after the success. 

Andrew Irwin played RB for BG this year and has played for BG his whole life with multiple generations who went through the school??
CMM52
Junior
Junior

Post by CMM52 »

To the point of the more recent championship being only due to transfers that's not true at all.  That first championship was real young.  Also, success draws attention.  This happens in public schools as well.  Lots of kids "move into the district" when things are going well.  
d6coach
Freshman
Freshman

Post by d6coach »

It does'nt matter that they grew up playing together in their community. They pool from a community bigger than most in the state. Then they play against the smallest communities in the state. They dont have to recruit. This string of success does its own recruitment. Now the top lineman in the area's class of 2019 has transferred in from 45 miles away. Im not against any of this. Im against tiny little communities like say JV  having to take a back seat  on an uneven playing field. Its like sending your biggest toughest lineman over to do tackling drills with underclassmen wide receivers and giving him a trophy for being king of the hill. Keep him with the upper classman lineman!
fdc173
Freshman
Freshman

Post by fdc173 »

It is a good point and something that definitely needs to be looked into being changed somehow but you can not take what that team has done away from them these past couple years.  The players at BG can't help the fact that their enrollment places them in the smallest classification. The PIAA enforces the rules and everyone in the state follows.  The players who now are coming in people say is not necessarily right, in fact is wrong I agree but what the "homegrown" kids who recently took this team from dirt to stardom should be awarded and plastered with wrong and misled information around the area/state.  I have personally seen this team multiple times and was in awe of what they could do and how they played the game.  I applaud what they have done in the past instead of criticizing like most others in the area and all others on this forum.  The future teams I cannot comment on because of the speculations that are being made and I too do not agree with some
Husker33
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Husker33 »

I don't think anyone is critizing the players. They work hard and perform well. Most people are complaining about the general situation that allows private schools an advantage over the other small schools.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.”
-Henry Ford

“Gentleman, this is a football. Before we’re through, we’re gonna run it down everybody’s throats.”
-Vince Lombardi
d6footballfan
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by d6footballfan »

talent alone doesn't win championships, hard work combined with talent, marketing and money is the correct formula for winning. 1) Hard work is a culture, and our public schools are short on culture building. We want to to be able to say every kid is the same, and no children should get special attention, therefore kids with talent are restricted within the fair rules doled out by our public school systems. 2) Coaches are not allowed to bring in kids in the offseason. They are expected to build success within the confines of the "regular season", essentially a part time job. 3) Raising money and going to many events to get exposure and having an administration who are focused on getting every dollar of college assistance for every student athlete occurs at every parochial school, this is a dream at a public school.

Stop complaining about recruiting, and why private schools are winning. just look at the programs and the effort it takes to win.

Give me a break folks. Sounds like government involvement and litigation are the only way to ensure our little johnny's and jills are champions.