Question for Manfred/Portage people?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Question for Manfred/Portage people?

Post by knowitall »

If the family is still living in Portage there is no way he should be playing for Forest Hills.  I remember a time when a kid needed a ride home after practice, a parent drove the kid home.  The house was outside the district.  The parent driving the kid home was an administrator in the school district.  That kid was never seen at our school again.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I think that kind of thing happens a lot, buying property in one district and finding a way to get the kid there.   Living with one parent, but using the other's address for their school district ect. 

I think it's generally more commonplace in say Pittsburgh and larger cities, because all the school districts run together and they are mostly suburbs, it can go more unnoticed. Parents can manipulate loopholes and get their kids to the schools they want claiming different guardians and owning property in different places ect. 

In Cambria County, it's not suburbs, it's small towns.  People notice things like this.

I'm sure the parents have good reasons to send their kid to Forest Hills, just like people have good reasons to send their kids wherever they choose. Some said it should be left alone, and I'll trust them on that. 
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Irregardless of why a kid changes his school district, it is STILL up to District 6 whether or not he is allowed to participate in sports. Also, I'm sure it is the prerogative of a coach whether or not he can let a kid join his team After THE SEASON STARTS. The school board may have a say-so in this, not sure.
say_oww
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by say_oww »

Don't you guys think it is a little early to politicize this incident???   :-?
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

El-Moldo wrote:Irregardless of why a kid changes his school district, it is STILL up to District 6 whether or not he is allowed to participate in sports. Also, I'm sure it is the prerogative of a coach whether or not he can let a kid join his team After THE SEASON STARTS. The school board may have a say-so in this, not sure.
Who is the chair of District 6 football?
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

If the family lives in a certain school district and pay school taxes then the kid is able to play whatever sport they want. The coach can't say no you can't play. And if the school board does there would be a lawsuit. It's public school.
YoungCoach07
Freshman
Freshman

Post by YoungCoach07 »

I will say this. I talked to someone close with this matter. The child did not transfer for ATHLETIC purposes. He moved in with another family member that lives in the FH school district. He moved for the purpose of a clean slate and to get away from certain people. So with that being said I can’t blame the kid for leaving to try and make his life better.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Not sure who the District 6 chair is. But there is a committee of about 16 who vote on the matter. And if a kid wants to play football well after the season started, a coach may have a philosophy about not letting him play. Why start a precident with kids missing camp but still playing. Don't need any LaVeon Bells every year.
GoldenRamsFAN
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by GoldenRamsFAN »

He may have a philosophy on it but can't enforce it.
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

A principal to principal sign off all but clears a transfer. Almost makes it clean and clear. Not being derogatory towards the process, but when was the last transfer challenge? Doesn't happen that often or at least isn't publicized. IMO, one doesn't move to a bordering district to escape a problem. You don't think that problem will follow? Resurface? When a problem is based off of decision making, it is the decisions that has to change, not the school. If it helps the kid, more power to him. Doesn't make the process right. Wasn't playing for portage but is for forest hills - hmmm... Athletics is some part of the equation.