Re: Berlin vs. Ligonier

Post by DCor50 »

I agree lilIndian91.
GoDragons
Senior
Senior

Post by GoDragons »

lilIndian91 wrote:I believe Berlin is better coached and will shock a lot of folks in this game or the playoff matchup that will surely follow.
You believe Berlin is better coached than LV or CR, or both?
DCor50
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DCor50 »

Not better coached....I believe they are well coached and they have tough kids....
Red and Black
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Red and Black »

12HankQB wrote:Westinghouse beat Allderdice last night, Berlin/CR will play next week. Winner to play Westinghouse the following week.
Westinghouse plays Allderdice tonight. Brashear beat U-Prep 9-8 last night. If Westinghouse wins tonight, they play Brashear for the City League championship next week.
Regardless of how it turns out though, I think the D5 AA - Westinghouse arrangement is fair, all things considered.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Red and Black wrote:
12HankQB wrote:Westinghouse beat Allderdice last night, Berlin/CR will play next week. Winner to play Westinghouse the following week.
Westinghouse plays Allderdice tonight. Brashear beat U-Prep 9-8 last night. If Westinghouse wins tonight, they play Brashear for the City League championship next week.
Regardless of how it turns out though, I think the D5 AA - Westinghouse arrangement is fair, all things considered.
Yes, I saw that this was wrong. 
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
superstar25
Senior
Senior

Post by superstar25 »

How is this Westinghouse D5 arrangement fair? The D5 official who signed off on this should be ashamed of himself. Berlin earned the right as the 2 seed for a home playoff game against a lower seed next week. What district semifinals has the 2 playing the 1? This is not how a playoff works. If this is the case then why have seedings at all. This make no sense. Westinghouse should have to choose either to play in the city championship or enter the D5/8 sub-regional playoffs, they shouldn't get to do both unless they were the number 1 seed, which they aren't. Yes I know that Ridge will beat Berlin by 60 points whenever they play them so what difference does a week make? It means something to the Berlin kids who earned the right to play a home playoff game against a lower seed.  If this happened in D6 or another district there would be outrage. (Hey Bellwood, instead of hosting a lower seed in the semis, you have to play the number one seed at Ligonier.) How would that go over? I'm guessing not well. I know in the grand scheme of things this doesn't matter but its the principle of things that is screwed up here. If I were Berlin, I would seriously consider forfeiting the game next week if they have to play at Ridge. Although this would only hurt the kids which wouldn't make sense.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

superstar25 wrote:How is this Westinghouse D5 arrangement fair? The D5 official who signed off on this should be ashamed of himself. Berlin earned the right as the 2 seed for a home playoff game against a lower seed next week. What district semifinals has the 2 playing the 1? This is not how a playoff works. If this is the case then why have seedings at all. This make no sense. Westinghouse should have to choose either to play in the city championship or enter the D5/8 sub-regional playoffs, they shouldn't get to do both unless they were the number 1 seed, which they aren't. Yes I know that Ridge will beat Berlin by 60 points whenever they play them so what difference does a week make? It means something to the Berlin kids who earned the right to play a home playoff game against a lower seed.  If this happened in D6 or another district there would be outrage. (Hey Bellwood, instead of hosting a lower seed in the semis, you have to play the number one seed at Ligonier.) How would that go over? I'm guessing not well. I know in the grand scheme of things this doesn't matter but its the principle of things that is screwed up here. If I were Berlin, I would seriously consider forfeiting the game next week if they have to play at Ridge. Although this would only hurt the kids which wouldn't make sense.
It is my understanding, maybe I'm wrong, but if Berlin/Ridge play next week it would be for a District Championship (neutral site). The Westinghouse game would then be just a regular state playoff game. If not, then yes that would be a bunch of garbage.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
superstar25
Senior
Senior

Post by superstar25 »

It is kind of hard when you only have 4 teams in a playoff. They should be lumped in with D6 to have a real playoff structure. I would just hate to see Berlin not get to host a home playoff game against a lower seed when they earned that by being the number 2 seed. The good news for Berlin is that next year they will be back down in single A to stay so they won't have to deal with the Westinghouse situation anymore or get shellacked by Ridge either.