Making Single A Fun Again

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Re: Making Single A Fun Again

Post by Fballrules17 »

In fairness I don't believe BG people truly understand how lopsided this situation is.  Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with BG dominating SIngle A if they at least tried to look like a SIngle A school.  Keep the roster between 35-40, play predominately with your 8 or 9 catholic kids in each class and like most other privates, go ahead and get 2 or 3 more athletes.  I would be fine with that.  

But when you are adding to your roster for the past 6 years, going from 38, 40,44, 47, all the way up to 55 this year, and adding probably at least 15-20 kids during those 6 years that all look like 3 A players (I pointed out 8 from 2 years)  then please don't tell me you are dominating because of hard work and coaching.  You are dominating the same way Kramer dominated the dojo in Seinfeld.  

Am I impressed with what BG is doing in the LHAC? Absolutely.  They are beating 3 or 4 teams a year with similar rosters and similar athletes.  But make no mistake about it any Jr. High Coach coach could take this team in the first round of districts and get them to Hershey.
fdc173
Freshman
Freshman

Post by fdc173 »

The 2014 did not have a transfer player at all.  McGeary transferred only for his junior and senior years.  The names that have carried the team these past 3 years and this year as well have been all from parochial school since 3rd grade at least.  But many will probably say they knew they were going to assemble them at age 8.  

Chadbourns, mccloskey, Burger, Gormley, Yasalitus, leamers, Irwin, Trybus, Fredrick, Conrad, Berish.  Pretty sure that kind of talent wins regardless of two guys who come in to play guard
stangin80
Junior
Junior

Post by stangin80 »

Exactly Hank, Trying to make Single-A fun around here again, is just not “fun” anymore..
Go Cats Go!
lhacfan63
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by lhacfan63 »

Fballrules17 wrote:In fairness I don't believe BG people truly understand how lopsided this situation is.  Honestly, I wouldn't have a problem with BG dominating SIngle A if they at least tried to look like a SIngle A school.  Keep the roster between 35-40, play predominately with your 8 or 9 catholic kids in each class and like most other privates, go ahead and get 2 or 3 more athletes.  I would be fine with that.  

But when you are adding to your roster for the past 6 years, going from 38, 40,44, 47, all the way up to 55 this year, and adding probably at least 15-20 kids during those 6 years that all look like 3 A players (I pointed out 8 from 2 years)  then please don't tell me you are dominating because of hard work and coaching.  You are dominating the same way Kramer dominated the dojo in Seinfeld.  

Am I impressed with what BG is doing in the LHAC? Absolutely.  They are beating 3 or 4 teams a year with similar rosters and similar athletes.  But make no mistake about it any Jr. High Coach coach could take this team in the first round of districts and get them to Hershey.
I already told you this once BG has had 3 that's right 3 kids transfer in a some point during high school. I challenge you to find me teams around the state that don't have any kids transfer in at some point I'm sure those teams would be a minority.  Everyone else on your list went through parochial schools and were just walking around the halls of bg.  I can name multiple people that just decided they would play after they were encouraged by friends 
sasquatch260
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by sasquatch260 »

You BG guys made a big mistake. You let the secret out.
I'm gonna tell my friends at Homer that all they have to do is just work a little harder than BG this week, and if they do - it's in the bag. Heck, they can even play the reserves the whole game and they'll still win.
Thanks for disclosing the secret of the streak!!!
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

GoldenRamsFAN wrote:Idc if they recruit or not when it comes to state playoffs since I always wanna see D6/D5 go far no matter what school. It’s the people who say we don’t recruit at all that piss people off that try rooting for them. Everyone knows the privates recruit, they are allowed. So be it the system is flawed and not getting fixed anytime soon. Best thing to do if you want your kid to be on a state playoff team is to transfer them to a private.
What's your definition of "recruit" and how do you know this? You mean " everyone assumes they recruit" I'm not saying some schools don't , I'm saying we all just assume. 
fdc173
Freshman
Freshman

Post by fdc173 »

The “factual list” previously given gives players who came out for the team but have still gone to BG all along.

The lineman from forest hills came out for football because they have a good team. Winning gets participation that doesn’t mean the new players have to come from elsewhere
Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Post by Fballrules17 »

lhacfan63 wrote:I already told you this once BG has had 3 that's right 3 kids transfer in a some point during high school. I challenge you to find me teams around the state that don't have any kids transfer in at some point I'm sure those teams would be a minority.  Everyone else on your list went through parochial schools and were just walking around the halls of bg.  I can name multiple people that just decided they would play after they were encouraged by friends 
I never said anyone transferred.  I said players were added to the roster. 

Just out of curiosity lhacfan how do you feel about BG staying down for the next two year or playing up?  Will you also concede that BG has the largest (numbers and size) Single A roster in the state and that does make a difference? 
lhacfan63
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by lhacfan63 »

Fballrules17 wrote:
lhacfan63 wrote:I already told you this once BG has had 3 that's right 3 kids transfer in a some point during high school. I challenge you to find me teams around the state that don't have any kids transfer in at some point I'm sure those teams would be a minority.  Everyone else on your list went through parochial schools and were just walking around the halls of bg.  I can name multiple people that just decided they would play after they were encouraged by friends 
I never said anyone transferred.  I said players were added to the roster. 

Just out of curiosity lhacfan how do you feel about BG staying down for the next two year or playing up?  Will you also concede that BG has the largest (numbers and size) Single A roster in the state and that does make a difference? 
My mistake it was others using your list to say people transferred. I'm indifferent as to whether bg plays up or stays down.  Having a large roster is only really beneficial in practice especially at the single a level look at BGs they start about the same 8 kids both ways and realistically only plays about 15 -16 different people a game.  I think that this is right in line with most schools. In games having a big roster is only beneficial for when your blowing out a team so that you can get your core group of players out of the game.

That being said I think that those kids getting into the game during blowouts is a very under appreciated part of BG.  Wheeler and his staff do a very good job of at least attempting to get everyone to play.  This gives the young kids you know freshman, Sophmores and select juniors invaluable experience that only helps to make them better for the future when they will have the chance to be in that core group of players.
guru1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by guru1 »

lhacfan63 wrote:
guru1 wrote:
Awdhaemel wrote: 2014 starting line: Leamer, Berger, Coyler, Wolfe, and Luther, no transfers, mcgeary transferred that year, and was a freshman, didn't play
I think the point is being missed. BG admittedly has players on the team that live in 8 different school districts. It makes no difference if they transfered or came thru the parochial system since first grade... they still can have kids from 8 districts while public schools get one. That is an advantage....period. With that ability they should be playing at a higher level than Class A. Now...that said....you still have to work hard to get to where they are. Coach Wheeler and his staff do a fantastic job and I will be pulling for them to bring home the gold! 
Completely wrong they have kids from 8 districts that go to the school.  They in no way have that many districts on the team.  I believe that there are kids from 2 districts on the team which can be found at most any school in the state
Ok. I'll play along....what are the 2? (By the way....2 is still 1 more than a public school....ADVANTAGE)