Low Numbers

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
davesandstorm
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Low Numbers

Post by davesandstorm »

The nail has been hit on the head by most of the posts already. Kids aren't coming out for sports as they did when we were younger. Parents are shying away from allowing their kids to play football because of concussion/injury concerns. Soccer and travel/fall baseball in the area is booming. Mount Union went from no youth soccer program to a program that has over 250 kids in it in a short time. My children practice twice a week for 1 hour versus 5 times a week at 2-3 hours. We had 2 different travel baseball teams based out of Mount Union this summer, plus you also have the ERA clinics you can attend and Flood City teams to try out for. Kids are starting to specialize because of those opportunities. We've had kids not play baseball because they are spending the summer going to wrestling tournaments. The economy/population in the area as a whole is down from where it was years ago. Finally you have the success factor. Success breeds participation and the three schools mentioned have not seen many winning seasons in the recent past. I feel bad for the kids who will now practice all year only to not get much playing time because of the low numbers. I'm sure it'll drive some to not come out in the future unfortunately.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

say_oww wrote:Kids don't give themselves trophies..  and btw you can play the blame game all you want but it doesn't change anything.
Oh I agree, it's not the kids fault it's become this way. It's the parents. One of my favorite speeches is Louisville Women's coach Jeff Walz talking about handing out trophies. 
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

jayjay6218 wrote:From what I am seeing the Low Numbers are at all levels, from Pee Wee Football, Youth, Jr High, JV and Varsity. My son’s Pee Wee team has 13 kids, and they play full 11 on 11 tackle football. Every team in the league is the same. It’s not just 9th graders playing up, it’s a much bigger problem than that.
No team should be allowed to take the field if it only has 13 players at any level
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

knowitall wrote:
jayjay6218 wrote:From what I am seeing the Low Numbers are at all levels, from Pee Wee Football, Youth, Jr High, JV and Varsity. My son’s Pee Wee team has 13 kids, and they play full 11 on 11 tackle football. Every team in the league is the same. It’s not just 9th graders playing up, it’s a much bigger problem than that.
No team should be allowed to take the field if it only has 13 players at any level
Agreed, a 7 on 7 style flag would be more beneficial.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
jayjay6218
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by jayjay6218 »

knowitall wrote:

Agreed. The problem is that is every team in the league!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

How many teams?
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Lets be serious here this isnt all just kids or parents.

1. Football is becoming more of a health risk.

2. The same teams pretty much rule every year. This easily demotivates other schools who arent part of that consistent top tier

3. Population in the area is decreasing

Kids are not "****" and this definitely is not the lazying generation by far.
jayjay6218
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by jayjay6218 »

knowitall wrote:How many teams?
4 PeeWee Teams
4 Youth Teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

konjo78 wrote:Lets be serious here this isnt all just kids or parents.

1. Football is becoming more of a health risk.

2. The same teams pretty much rule every year. This easily demotivates other schools who arent part of that consistent top tier

3. Population in the area is decreasing

Kids are not "****" and this definitely is not the lazying generation by far.
1. Funny how there are almost no players missing games for concussions with this being such a concern.  In Lhac one player the last two years was held out for concussions, that's it all those high school players and 2 kids in two years.
And your number 2, are you serious?  That attitude is the problem.  We just saw Ferndale rise above the last two season and be very competitive.   CH has been successfully as of late.  oh, you mean the Catholic schools like BC and St Joe's and their dominance because of all the recruiting they are doing.
I do agree thatt he population is smaller though, valid point.   Easy fix, put teams together.  CV and Blacklick together could easily turn in to a LV situation. 
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Most conferences are run by same teams year after year. Cant say that doesnt hurt at all