Mountain League - Week 1

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Mountain League - Week 1

Post by DragonsDoExist »

League play gets under way next week but this week's out of conference match-ups will give us a little early season insight of who's got what...

Clearfield @ DuBois...Last year the Bison took care of DuBois 21-0 and I look for more of the same this season. The Bison are many's preseason favorite in the league and I'd look for the offense to score early & often in this one. Clearfield 42 DuBois 14

West Branch @ Philipsburg-Osceola...Last year the Mounties only W came in the season opening 32-14 victory over West Branch. The Warriors got things together as the season went on and finished the year with 3 straight wins. Even with the loss of QB Kyle Myers (transfer to Bellefonte) I think West Branch rides tailback Derek Yingling to a payback victory. West Branch 26 P-O 14

Troy @ Bald Eagle Area...BEA started the year off 3-0 last year and that started with a 33-13 win at Troy. This year Troy makes the trip to Wingate and I would expect an experienced Eagles team to again start the year off on a winning note. BEA 34 Troy 13

Penns Valley @ Fairfield...Not gonna lie, I know nothing about Fairfield other than the fact they finished 4-7 and beat up on St. Joe's each of the last 2 seasons. It's a long trip to open the season for the Rams but I'm gonna go with the Mountain League team in this one. PV 30 Fairfield 24

Bellefonte @ Jersey Shore...Last year both of these teams ended their seasons in the 4A playoffs with a loss to Selinsgrove. In the opener the Red Raiders took care of JS in a close one 17-13. Bellefonte lost a lot from last year's team but with the addition of former West Branch QB Kyle Myers I think they start the year off with a win. Bellefonte 28 Jersey Shore 20

Central @ Northern Bedford...It's been 45 years since these 2 neighboring school districts met on the gridiron. NBC is coming off one of their most successful seasons in school history and will be looking to upset the team from next door. One thing is for sure, both sides of Panther Stadium will be packed for this one. Central 34 NBC 14

Huntingdon @ Mount Union...Gone are the combined 3200 rushing yards and 60 TDs of 2 of the most prolific tailbacks from the area last year in Daunte Martin & Ian Border. The question is which team can find their new source of offense. I like what the Bearcats bring back on the defensive side of the ball so I'll take Huntingdon in this one. Huntingdon 38 Mount Union 13

Game of the Week
Bellwood-Antis @ Tyrone...Last year's 13-10 OT win by the Blue Devils sent both teams seasons in completely different directions. BA took the win and turned it into a 10-0 regular season while Tyrone's season quickly spiraled downhill and a final record of 3-8. I'm concerned about the Blue Devils up front and I think Tyrone has the defense to avenge last year's loss. Look for another low scoring nail biter just like last year. Tyrone 14 Bellwood-Antis 13
You play to win the game!!!
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Mountain League - Week 1

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Besides the losses for both teams. I think the biggest question for Bellwood is how do they react to a new coach. I know he was with Hayes for years but still it's his 1st game at varsity. Big environment to have 1st game in. When Guthoff took over for Franco Tyrone lost the 1st 2 games that year till things got rolling. Guess we will see tonight
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Just realized I completely forgot the Bishop Carroll game! Good thing I did cuz I would have whiffed on that one. Congrats to the Huskies on the win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

Despite the win, based on what I saw tonight.Tyrone will struggle in the Mountain League .Meanwhile BA will get to work on the line in ICC.
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

Agree with Aik, entire league very good this year. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Tyrone/BA with similar records as last year. Big difference between slaughter house and a bakery
jayjay6218
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by jayjay6218 »

EaglealumsGhost wrote:Agree with Aik, entire league very good this year. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Tyrone/BA with similar records as last year. Big difference between slaughter house and a bakery
Was Tyrone that bad looking or is the Strength of schedule that severe a difference?

Is the ICC Conference that down this year?

SoftWalkinBigStick
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by SoftWalkinBigStick »

jayjay6218 wrote:
EaglealumsGhost wrote:Agree with Aik, entire league very good this year. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Tyrone/BA with similar records as last year. Big difference between slaughter house and a bakery
Was Tyrone that bad looking or is the Strength of schedule that severe a difference?

I think its just that the Mountain is gonna be quite tough still and ICC is down. Just my opinion.
EaglealumsGhost
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EaglealumsGhost »

Schedule..... Hollidaysburg , Huntingdon, and Bellefonte all ranked in 5A,3A,&4A respectively, Clearfield is favorite to win league, Central looks pretty tough, BEA was tough last year and looks improved as does PV, and Carroll goes to WV and beats #3 in A in the state down there..... where’s the break?(besides PO)
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

jayjay6218 wrote:

In my opinion, Tyrone wasn't very good either. A good Tyrone team wins that game by 4 or 5 touchdowns. On the other hand a Good Bellwood team also beats this Tyrone team. The difference is, Tyrone now gets to play the likes of Central, Clearfield , Bellefonte etc. While Bellwood plays Glendale, West Branch , Tussey etc .