Who is

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Who is

Post by TheAnalyst »

To follow up on what others already posted:
I found an online copy of Bedford’s football records a while back.  Here are Benbow’s records at Bedford, which has a very strong football tradition.  All of this was his senior season, 1993.

#1 Season Scoring, 32 TD’s, 200 points
#3 Career Scoring, 44 TD’s, 280 points
#1 Season Rushing, 210 attempts, 1787 yards (8.5 yard average)
#3 Career Rushing, 323, 2718, 8.4 avg.  In reference to your discussion, Benbow played behind Jeff Koontz his junior and sophomore years.  Koontz is #1 in Bedford career rushing (2926 yards).  So they were back to back.
#1 Total Offense Game, Westmont, 430 yards.  He also holds the #6 spot, Richland, 313 yards and #10 spot , Cambria Heights, 295 yards.
#1 Total Offense Season, 2592 yards.
#8 Total Offense Career, 3978 yards.

From my memory, Benbow had a hand in all 6 scores against Westmont by rushing, passing, and receiving.  Bedford lost 43-40.  He and Artrell Hawkins (BM-Cincinnati Bengals) were co offensive players of the year for the Tribune Democrat.  Benbow was also a pretty good defensive back.  He saved many touchdowns that year just by running people down.  I’ve watched a lot of high school football over the years and never saw anyone with his speed.  The team finished 9-3, losing to Forest Hills in the D5/6 Championship game.

I was at that Heights game too Manfred.  I remember Heights fan’s holding up “Bill Who?” signs when the game started.  By the time it was over, they knew.  The weirdest game I’ve ever been at with half the stadium lights out but they kept on playing.

And Enzo, along the lines of 3 best players in a row.  This isn’t at the same school, but all in neighboring Bedford County school districts.  Joe Nastasi (Northern Bedford) was 1993 AP Small School Player of the Year (7 time all state  4 in basketball, 3 in football.  Played football at PSU. #6 all time scorer in basketball in PA.  Brother AJ is #1.).  Joe most likely kept Benbow from getting it that year.   Jamie Eichelberger (Everett) was 1994 AP Small School Player of the Year.  But for those two seasons, we had Joe Nastasi, Bill Benbow, and Jamie Eichelberger all playing in neighboring school districts.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

When football was football. Scores from 1993:
…) Bedford beat FH 18-14 at Bedford Friday Sept 24, ending FH's 31 game regular season streak of games without a loss. Three interceptions and three fumbles sealed FH's fate.
…) The next week, October 1st, FH beat Westmont at G.H. Miller field, 28-7. Westmont was ranked 6th in the state in class AA at that time. Only 4 classes in those days.
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

When we say "athletes" we often overlook linemen.  To give credit to the draft horses who could also fly to the ball on D, I'll go with BG's Andrew Berger, Dakota Leamer, and Nick Leamer.  Their tenures overlapped each other, but their combined playing years stretched from '11-'17.  
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

Bedford and FH was a great rivalry in the 80's and 90's. The game I always looked forward to the most. Each would ruin the other teams perfect season. But there seemed to be a mutual respect between the two. As for 1993, FH returned the favor in the playoffs at Mansion Park. I think they won handily. 35-6 is my recollection.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

One of the greatest games I ever saw was in 1994 at FH's field. With little time left in the game, and the score 0-0, Bedford threw the infamous "popcorn" pass and beat FH 8-0. Even though FH lost, I knew, after that game, we could play with anybody.
Lefteyelouie
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Lefteyelouie »

I played in that one.  Best game and atmosphere I had in HS football.  Stands were packed standing room only with endzone full of people..  That was the year after Benbow was gone we went undefeated in the regular season. Took one on the chin from FH in the playoffs.  
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

So this ultra talented athlete in multiple sports, state championship in the 100 went to Edinboro?   Hawkins goes to Cincinnati and plays in the pros long term, but Benbow was as good or better?   Whats the rest of the story?   How was he not a D1 recruit ? 
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Don't think Hawkins made any kind of mark in high school. Maybe he was a late bloomer. Not sure about Benbow's private life. Could have held him back athletically. Someone mentioned Jesse Jones from Tyrone. High school could have been their moment in the sun.
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

I heard at the time that he struggled in school and that he had dyslexia. I don't know how much, if any, truth there is to that. Edinboro was chosen because it would be the best fit for him in that regard. In his first year there he was arrested on drug possession and that ended it. And at the time Edinboro was a good football school, regularly competing for the PSAC title.

http://varsityclubtd.blogspot.com/2013/ ... enbow.html

He had an older bother James who went to IUP and had a very successful career there as a lineman.
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CoffinCorner »

El-Moldo wrote:Don't think Hawkins made any kind of mark in high school. Maybe he was a late bloomer. Not sure about Benbow's private life. Could have held him back athletically. Someone mentioned Jesse Jones from Tyrone. High school could have been their moment in the sun.
Wasn't Hawkins named co offensive player of the year with Benbow?  You don't think this meant anything?  
[font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, "Nimbus Sans L", Arial, "Liberation Sans", sans-serif]As a senior he rushed for a school record 26 touchdowns and 1,487 yards, including a single-game record 265 yards. [/font]
[font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, "Nimbus Sans L", Arial, "Liberation Sans", sans-serif]Come on Moldo[/font]