big drop-off

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: big drop-off

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I think you have to give Ligonier credit for the success either way since they are backing it up once district and state playoffs begin, but yea they are the biggest school in the league and it shows on most Friday's. 
sasquatch260
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by sasquatch260 »

There's a lot of ripping the Heritage Conference around here. I find that interesting when you look at who's had success in the last two years of D6 A and AA championship games. 

Heritage Conference public schools - 3 wins 
Public schools from any and all other conferences in D6 - 0 wins

The only team to win other than Heritage schools was BG in 2016.  And no other public school from any other conference has even been in the D6 big game. LV beat McCort in AA the last two years. For being as bad as a lot of people here paint them, it's funny that the A and AA school Heritage Conference has been at the very top of D6 A and AA success for the last 2 years.
RamFan1
Freshman
Freshman

Post by RamFan1 »

Fballrules17 wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Yeah, sometimes you'll have a big drop-off from time to time in high school football.  I think the 2007 Ligonier team went 9-1 with a first round playoff loss and then followed that up with a 3-6 season.  I think Ligonier leaned on some senior running backs that year and didn't really have a plan going into the next season.   It can happen to anyone. 
Since LV and Laurel Valley started playing together in 2010 (correct?) they are 62-10 in conference (861.) .  They've won their last 25 in conference by mercy rule.  They have a sophomore class of 3 kids.  For most single A programs that would cripple them beyond repair.  However, due to the enrollment Liggy has 19 juniors and around 12 freshman,  If they bring in another class of 10 or more your roster will still be the biggest in the league, at least the top 2 or 3, with about 44 or 45.  It's almost mathematically impossible for them to have a losing season in the Heritage. 
There is 1 starter on the LV team this year that would have gone to Laurel Valley.  ONE.
Seriously, it’s time to retire this tired argument.  
If enrollment was the key factor to success, Marion Center and West Shamokin would be rolling everyone in the conference, too.  Saltsburg beat Marion Center this season.  Marion turned around and beat Northern Cambria weeks later.
LV is on a streak of having some legacy athletes come through, but that doesn’t last forever.  Credit goes to both the athletes and Roger and his staff, many of whom have been at it with him for most of his 16 seasons or so, for maximizing the talent they have right now in the program they’ve built.  
Is it that hard to just give credit where it’s due?
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

No one is ripping the Heritage conference.  Put your Little Richards away.
GoDragons
Senior
Senior

Post by GoDragons »

MrAnonymous wrote:
GoDragons wrote:I see LV is the largest AA school in the state of PA and 2 males under the AAA cut off of 199.  Is that pure luck?
Where does that fit into any of the previous posts in this thread?  I’m not trying to be harsh at all I just don’t understand your point or who you are replying to. It just seems kind of random. Also, are you insinuating that they somehow purposely kept their numbers down to stay in AA? I think they would have been luckier to be in AAA this year. Again, I’m not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to understand. 
So you can't read anything into the first sentence, but you read something into the second sentence??  First, I wasn't replying to anyone, just making a statement.  Once a thread is started, there is not requirement that you have to reply directly to someone in order to post.  It happens a lot on here, just take a look back through a few threads.  Apparently you didn't read the multiple posts in this thread with regard to larger schools playing smaller schools, ie LV plays much smaller schools.  No, I'm not implying LV did something purposely to stay just under the AAA cut-off.  Sometimes luck just happens.  They may be luckier to be in AAA at the District level, but I don't know if that's true at the State Level.
bigben7
Junior
Junior

Post by bigben7 »

Rumor has it that Ligonier was on the 7 yard line against PL. They took a delay of game penalty and then threw a TD to Tatino. He need more than 7 yards for the record. If this is True Beitel and Ligonier deserve all the sh*t talk that they get against them.
MrAnonymous
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by MrAnonymous »

GoDragons wrote:
MrAnonymous wrote:
GoDragons wrote:I see LV is the largest AA school in the state of PA and 2 males under the AAA cut off of 199.  Is that pure luck?
Where does that fit into any of the previous posts in this thread?  I’m not trying to be harsh at all I just don’t understand your point or who you are replying to. It just seems kind of random. Also, are you insinuating that they somehow purposely kept their numbers down to stay in AA? I think they would have been luckier to be in AAA this year. Again, I’m not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to understand. 
So you can't read anything into the first sentence, but you read something into the second sentence??  First, I wasn't replying to anyone, just making a statement.  Once a thread is started, there is not requirement that you have to reply directly to someone in order to post.  It happens a lot on here, just take a look back through a few threads.  Apparently you didn't read the multiple posts in this thread with regard to larger schools playing smaller schools, ie LV plays much smaller schools.  No, I'm not implying LV did something purposely to stay just under the AAA cut-off.  Sometimes luck just happens.  They may be luckier to be in AAA at the District level, but I don't know if that's true at the State Level.
I thought I was pretty clear in explaining why I was asking you to clarify, but I guess not so that’s my bad. Thank you for explaining the rules of bleachercoaches to me though. I thought everyone was talking about consistency with programs and you threw out a statement about LV being the largest AA program....just didn’t know what you were getting at. I only saw one post and I didn’t think it related to what you said unless you’re saying that they have been consistent because of their size, which would have been a nice response to me asking for an explanation.  I wasn’t reading into the second sentence, just asking you a question because again, it seemed random to me. I don’t even know how they make the counts to determine classifications. Post the weather forecast for all I care. I was just trying to understand where you were coming from. Southern Columbia is the second ranked school in the state at any classification behind Pine Richland the last I checked and that’s who LV would play in the semis if they’re fortunate enough to make it there so yes I think they would have been better off in AAA this year as far as having a shot to play in the finals. 
MrAnonymous
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by MrAnonymous »

bigben7 wrote:Rumor has it that Ligonier was on the 7 yard line against PL. They took a delay of game penalty and then threw a TD to Tatino. He need more than 7 yards for the record. If this is True Beitel and Ligonier deserve all the sh*t talk that they get against them.
 No sir, don’t know where you heard that rumor, but that didn’t happen.  He needed one catch to break the receptions record, which I think he got on a deep post on the first play of their first third quarter possession and it was not a TD. He had 286 yards receiving. That’s tied for fifth all time for the PIAA at any classification assuming that database is correct.  I’m pretty sure he broke the LV receiving yardage record by much more than 7 yards. 
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

I watched the highlights for all of his catches. Impressive, especially the yards after catch, but watching Caldwell throw those balls had my eye the most. He put all of those where only Tutino could catch them. Tutino/PL
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
GoDragons
Senior
Senior

Post by GoDragons »

MrAnonymous wrote:
GoDragons wrote:
MrAnonymous wrote: Where does that fit into any of the previous posts in this thread?  I’m not trying to be harsh at all I just don’t understand your point or who you are replying to. It just seems kind of random. Also, are you insinuating that they somehow purposely kept their numbers down to stay in AA? I think they would have been luckier to be in AAA this year. Again, I’m not trying to be a jerk here, just trying to understand. 
I thought I was pretty clear in explaining why I was asking you to clarify, but I guess not so that’s my bad. Thank you for explaining the rules of bleachercoaches to me though. I thought everyone was talking about consistency with programs and you threw out a statement about LV being the largest AA program....just didn’t know what you were getting at. I only saw one post and I didn’t think it related to what you said unless you’re saying that they have been consistent because of their size, which would have been a nice response to me asking for an explanation.  I wasn’t reading into the second sentence, just asking you a question because again, it seemed random to me. I don’t even know how they make the counts to determine classifications. Post the weather forecast for all I care. I was just trying to understand where you were coming from. Southern Columbia is the second ranked school in the state at any classification behind Pine Richland the last I checked and that’s who LV would play in the semis if they’re fortunate enough to make it there so yes I think they would have been better off in AAA this year as far as having a shot to play in the finals. 
Now I understand.  Almost all of your posts are about LV.  Sorry, wasn't trying to ruffle an LV fans feathers. :((