Playoff Rankings - Week 9

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Playoff Rankings - Week 9

Post by PortagePride »

Fballrules17 wrote:Purchase Line entered Friday's game 1-7.  After steamrolling Saltsburg, they are still alive for a play-off spot.  The only way they can make it is to jump Blacklick Valley for 12th. 

To do this they will need Saltsburg's help.  If PL beats Ferndale they'll close the gap to Blacklick from 130 points to 20 points.  If Saltsburg beats Blacklick and Blairsville beats North Star they'll get those 20 points.  The only other place Blacklick could get points from is if Winber beats Homer.  If that doesn't happen the two would be tied at 370 points. 

Tie Breaker is as follows:

Head to head-  N/ A
Record vs common opponent:  Only common opponent would be Saltsburg and Ferndale.  PL would be 2-0, Blacklick 1-1

Just found it pretty interesting how probably no one thought PL would have a shot at the play-offs heading into Friday night at 1-7 yet here they are in a situation that altough not likely, certainly possible. 
[font=Times New Roman]It's actually not Interesting at all. Not trying to be the "Debbie downer or Salty Sally" here but a 3 - 7 team doesn't deserve to be rewarded with a playoff birth no matter If It's Purchase Line, Blacklick Valley, Bishop McCort or even If It was my own Mustang's of Portage that were In the same position. I get It that It's the district that set's the amount of teams In each classification to make the playoff's and they are just going by where they finished. But If you're not .500, you don't have any business getting rewarded by continuing your season another week, unless you schedule an 11th game with another non-playoff team on your own. District 6 Single A should take 8 teams maximum. Once again this Is just MY opinion, maybe others here feel that these 3 - 7 and other under .500 teams deserve to keep their seasons going.[/font]
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Yes 12 is way too many. Do away with the 4 byes and take 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
Scarlets1992
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scarlets1992 »

I agree that 12 initially seems to be too many...however 2 points on the flip side. One, it’s a real advantage for the District champion to find itself in state semifinals at end of district play. Taking a round out of districts would make the champ play another week of state playoffs. And two, looking at records only is a mistake since these teams play completely different schedules during the year. A 6-4 team in one conference may be 2-8 in another. That’s why the point system is used and should continue to be used. They can’t all be in the same conference- that’s what district playoffs are- so just let them play. It doesn’t hurt your team...unless they beat you.
Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Post by Fballrules17 »

Scarlets1992 wrote:I agree that 12 initially seems to be too many...however 2 points on the flip side.  One, it’s a real advantage for the District champion to find itself in state semifinals at end of district play.  Taking a round out of districts would make the champ play another week of state playoffs. And two, looking at records only is a mistake since these teams play completely different schedules during the year.  A 6-4 team in one conference may be 2-8 in another.  That’s why the point system is used and should continue to be used. They can’t all be in the same conference- that’s what district playoffs are- so just let them play. It doesn’t hurt your team...unless they beat you.
That's a good point about the different conferences.  I highly doubt McCort only wins three games in the Heritage or WestPac.  Perhaps Friday we'll find out there's a pretty good disparity between the Heritage and Westpac as there was in in 2016, I think last year was a split.  Point being maybe PL would win five in the WestPac.  If it's the exact same team playing in weaker league, if that's the case, would they deserve it more if they finished with 4 or 5 wins in the weaker league? 
Unless District 6 goes to classification based conferences this is what we have.  You'll notice at the top of 6A standings everyone has a couple of losses.  Take NC, both of those were to AA teams.  Same with Juniata Valley.  Your boys in the westpac are pretty well protected from that.  North Star may be the worst AA team in the state, and the other two, Meyersdale and and Berlin have co-ops which probably provide them with 2 or 3 serviceable players per year. 
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

Hopefully we never see classification based conferences in D6.

IHeartFootball2
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by IHeartFootball2 »

DragonsDoExist wrote:PC isn’t beating FH so that was a waste of 5 minutes of my life. Lol

Thanks dragon! I don’t expect that either but you never know! Keep up the good work!
Red and Black
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Red and Black »

I did predictions on wins and power points for this coming weekend for AA. For the top 9, I predict wins for Ri, LV, BA, PV, and MC; losses for SH, WS, WB, and CH.

WS, WB, CH, and MC could all end up anywhere from 6th to 9th.

But based on my predictions (and power point predictions,) I project these final standings and games:

8) WB @ 1) Ri
7) MC @ 2) LV
6) WS @ 3) BA
5) SH @ 4) PV

9) CH out
10) BC and 11) MU are locked in to those spots and can’t make the playoffs.

I have SH and PV locked together one way or another - one of them will be 5) and one will be 4) and no others teams can be either 5) or 4).
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

I’ll be interested to see how PV does. Their 3 losses have come @ BEA the 3A 1 seed, @ 4A Midd-West in OT and vs undefeated 4A Clearfield 56-42 which was Clearfield’s closest game all season.

BlueYonder
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BlueYonder »

For the 6 through 9 teams, three of the four will be in and I think it will be as follows:
West Shamokin is in if they win.  If they lose, they are probably still in unless the other three all win.
For CH and WB, if they win they are in.  If they lose, they would have to hope at least two of the others lose.
For MC, they have to win and hope at least one of the others lose.

I agree with Dragon, everybody has been saying it will be LV or Richland, but PV may be a tough out.  BA has an outside chance.  It's hard to see anybody outside of those four winning D6 AA.  There's a really good chance the Rams will win, just not sure which one.
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

I also agree about Penns Valley . Maybe they don’t beat either Richland or Ligonier. I think that they can give them a heck of a game. I hate to say it , but I don’t think Bellwood would have a chance against any of those three.