interesting article in somerset paper

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: interesting article in somerset paper

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

PRFootball wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Maybe just have the Heritage and WestPAC play each other in a scheduling agreement the first game of the year as a non-conference game, then play your league games weeks 2-10.

As long as Ligonier continues to be really good, it's going to be a topic among teams from both leagues about how to approach them. 
Ligionier is on a decline, not saying they won’t be good, but they will be beatable and this year I’ve watched them, they are beatable this year as well. Defiantly not the same team as years past! 
They weren't beatable to anyone in the Heritage, and I don't think they are beatable to anyone in the WestPAC. 
PRFootball
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PRFootball »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
PRFootball wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Maybe just have the Heritage and WestPAC play each other in a scheduling agreement the first game of the year as a non-conference game, then play your league games weeks 2-10.

As long as Ligonier continues to be really good, it's going to be a topic among teams from both leagues about how to approach them. 
Ligionier is on a decline, not saying they won’t be good, but they will be beatable and this year I’ve watched them, they are beatable this year as well. Defiantly not the same team as years past! 
They weren't beatable to anyone in the Heritage, and I don't think they are beatable to anyone in the WestPAC. 
Very beatable...
"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing"
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I'll bite. Who is defiantly better?
PRFootball
Freshman
Freshman

Post by PRFootball »

knowitall wrote:I'll bite.  Who is defiantly better?
Ligonier is better, wasn’t saying they would lose to shade, but saying they aren’t the team the were years past. 
"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing"
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Interesting, how would anyone rank the last three LV teams?
I feel like the Smith /Parrish team was the best of the 3.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

youngbuck wrote:Interesting, how would anyone rank the last three LV teams?  
Yes, that team has to be the best. I wish they had the experience like the '17 team. '17  could hit you with multiple options with Daugherty and Sheeder running the ball and Jackson could throw too. This year it's all on Caldwell's ability to throw the ball around the yard. I hope he continues to stay healthy, losing him would be worse than losing Tutino. This years team doesn't have nearly the defense. Sacks are down, interceptions are down, return points are down. No INT returns for td's. They're definitely more vulnerable, but still able to thrash the Heritage. Caldwell's decision making and accuracy has been huge. Obviously, Tutino opens up all the other receivers even more. 
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
FunFacts
Junior
Junior

Post by FunFacts »

PRFootball wrote:Very beatable...
They won one game on the road by 22 and another on the road by 30.  Every other game was won by over 40 points.  That’s not a beatable team to any local A or AA team.  Are they a top 2 team in the state?  IDK but definitely not beatable to any local teams other than maybe Richland who isn’t in either of those conferences.  
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

FunFacts wrote:
PRFootball wrote:Very beatable...
They won one game on the road by 22 and another on the road by 30.  Every other game was won by over 40 points.  That’s not a beatable team to any local A or AA team.  Are they a top 2 team in the state?  IDK but definitely not beatable to any local teams other than maybe Richland who isn’t in either of those conferences.  
It has to be a coverage team. It's as simple as that. A team of equal size that can cover. Richland is the closest thing to that.
RamFan1
Freshman
Freshman

Post by RamFan1 »

12HankQB wrote:
youngbuck wrote:Interesting, how would anyone rank the last three LV teams?  
Yes, that team has to be the best. I wish they had the experience like the '17 team. '17  could hit you with multiple options with Daugherty and Sheeder running the ball and Jackson could throw too. This year it's all on Caldwell's ability to throw the ball around the yard. I hope he continues to stay healthy, losing him would be worse than losing Tutino. This years team doesn't have nearly the defense. Sacks are down, interceptions are down, return points are down. No INT returns for td's. They're definitely more vulnerable, but still able to thrash the Heritage. Caldwell's decision making and accuracy has been huge. Obviously, Tutino opens up all the other receivers even more. 
Smith and Parrish were outstanding and the '17 team was outstanding.  That's what's great about high school football - each year is different.

However, this team is also very, very good, and they're younger.  You're discounting that junior Kyrie Miller is 104 yards away from 1,000 on just 99 carries (9.1 avg) with 16 TDs in 8 games, and that junior Sam Sheeder, who was the starting QB on the '17 team before tearing his ACL, has worked back this year in the Daugherty role, amassing 750+ yards rushing & receiving while scoring 12 TD's in 8 games.  He hasn't thrown much b/c Caldwell has been so on, that he hasn't had to play that role.  
The team is averaging about 220 passing and 170 rushing per game with their starters sitting by the 3rd quarter in almost every game.  Looks pretty balanced to me.
And I wouldn't go so far as to say this team doesn't have defense.  Just because Tutino isn't playing safety into the 4th quarter and Petrof isn't chasing down the litany of passing attacks in the Heritage Conference (sarcasm) doesn't mean their defense isn't sound.  86 PA on the season (10.75 avg) many in garbage time when subs were in, doesn't mean jack, and it's still a great number.  You also have to consider that there is only 1 senior in their Front 7...and that they're still developing.  
We'll see in the weeks to come when the games really start to matter.  This '18 team is capable, and the '19 team will be, too.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Oh yes, I didn't mean to come off as saying this teams defense is not good. It certainly is. They just do not have the turnovers or points off turnovers as before. I don't think that they're as good as the two previous years, but they're still hands down better than anyone else and will be for some time still.