Can Ligonier play with Richland?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Can Ligonier play with Richland?

Post by knowitall »

Richland to IUP 44.5 miles.  Ligonier to IUP 32.4 miles.  Richland to Mansion Park 41.6 miles.  Ligonier to Mansion Park 63 miles.  Richland to Greater Johnstown (or Point Stadium) 8.5 miles.  Ligonier to Greater Johnstown (or Point Stadium) 22.3 miles.  Richland to Somerset 26.3 miles.  Ligonier to Somerset 27.2 miles.  Richland to North Star 17.2 miles.  Ligonier to North Star 15.3 miles.  Pick one.  I think Johnstown probably makes the most sense followed by Somerset.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Golds gym is no longer there so there is more parking now then when the title games were held at mansion park. Also to me facility wise mansion is nicer than Hershey stadium.
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CoffinCorner »

knowitall wrote:Richland to IUP 44.5 miles.  Ligonier to IUP 32.4 miles.  Richland to Mansion Park 41.6 miles.  Ligonier to Mansion Park 63 miles.  Richland to Greater Johnstown (or Point Stadium) 8.5 miles.  Ligonier to Greater Johnstown (or Point Stadium) 22.3 miles.  Richland to Somerset 26.3 miles.  Ligonier to Somerset 27.2 miles.  Richland to North Star 17.2 miles.  Ligonier to North Star 15.3 miles.  Pick one.  I think Johnstown probably makes the most sense followed by Somerset.
Do you understand that District championship games are played at a site in the district.  Not sure why you would give distances to Somerset and North Star?
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

I do but we're trying to get the largest attendance possible for this game. Given their location, more people from both schools would drive to Somerset, North Star, Conemaugh Township or Windber to watch this game than would venture to Altoona, Indiana, State College or Lock Haven. Both Richland and Ligonier Valley School Districts border Greater Johnstown and Conemaugh Township.

Besides, District 5 has played its basketball championships at UPJ which is in District 6.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

How about the Hive?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Someone mentioned Mansion Park is only used for turf and that’s not the case, the big thing overall is the press box. 

You have two coaching staffs, usually two radios, multiple newspapers, TV, game officials, referee evaluator ect.

I know other playoff games can have that same crowd, but a few more people mill around for the district title games and the extra space is generally needed.  Mansion Park and Trojan Stadium are the two main stadiums in D6 that offer a press box on either side.  

So the playing surface is right, the press box is right, the seating is abundant. Mansion Park makes a lot of sense.  And it’s tough to rely on making the championship game TBD.  What if Trojan Stadium made the most sense this weekend and Johnstown decided to winterize the stadium and put everything away? 

The district rents out Mansion Park ahead of time to assure there’s a place to play that fills all the needs. That's the biggest thing. Other venues might make sense logistically, but every playoff game in high school athletics in any sport comes down to a few things, mainly: If the site is available and if the site is willing to host. That's basically it. 
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

How much of the state's attendance problem is due to some games being played in the middle of a work day?
NeverQuit
Freshman
Freshman

Post by NeverQuit »

You can go by mileage but when it comes to travel time they’re about equal, google map that one too, knowitall. Crimson I agree the press box is nice, but there are many schools with the same accommodations. If you bid to host a D6 title game, you don’t winterize until you know your school is out of the running. And Indiana county is still D6 which is why I mentioned IUP not a place like somerset.
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Why isn't Saint Francis ever in the discussion?
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

EnzoLigoniere wrote:Why isn't Saint Francis ever in the discussion?
 I'd Imagine because the size of the visitor side bleachers. It's not the smallest I've ever seen but It's not really a reasonable size for a District Championship teams fans/band to have to squeeze Into.