PIAA Meeting on Public vs Private Issue

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Pineapplesandballs
Freshman
Freshman

Re: PIAA Meeting on Public vs Private Issue

Post by Pineapplesandballs »

What do the superintendents, the money people in Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Philly want? Because that's the result that we are going to get. Just as with many things in the state we have to fall in line with these areas. I don't believe anything will change this go around. Do things need to change? Yes they do, but what is up for debate. The amount of top college prospects in the state is declining and especially in this area. Whats best for the kids, the area and football is what we need to figure out.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

12HankQB wrote:
knowitall wrote:
12HankQB wrote: No, you're fine. People don't hate private schools, especially locally. Certainly there's jealousy, but we all want BC, BG, and BM to win for out local area.
No.  We don't.
What I meant to say is once they've beaten us....then I cheer for them. Until that point, I want my team obviously.
See, I and I'm sure a few others, still wouldn't cheer for them.
fdc173
Freshman
Freshman

Post by fdc173 »

knowitall wrote:
12HankQB wrote:
knowitall wrote: No.  We don't.
What I meant to say is once they've beaten us....then I cheer for them. Until that point, I want my team obviously.
Then beat them!!
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

knowitall wrote:
12HankQB wrote:
knowitall wrote: No.  We don't.
Try not to let bitterness that could/should be directed at a system that you dislike cause you to root against some hard-working local kids. 
NeutralGuy
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by NeutralGuy »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:
knowitall wrote:A better question is how many superintendents of schools with perennial 2-8 teams will travel at taxpayer expense to attend the meeting.
Do superintendents that work for schools with 2-8 football teams only have one sport or do they compete in other sports as well? Or is this meeting just discussing separating football and leaving other sports with private and public schools?
I trust we are not talking football only. The results from Heinz Field yesterday:
[font=Helvetica]Pine Richland 34 Seneca Valley 7[/font]
[font=Helvetica]South Fayette 34 Thomas Jefferson 27[/font]
[font=Helvetica]Aliquippa 42 Derry 19[/font]
[font=Helvetica]OLSH 28 Rochester 6[/font]

[font=Helvetica]One private seven public I believe....[/font]
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

NeutralGuy wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:
knowitall wrote:A better question is how many superintendents of schools with perennial 2-8 teams will travel at taxpayer expense to attend the meeting.
Do superintendents that work for schools with 2-8 football teams only have one sport or do they compete in other sports as well? Or is this meeting just discussing separating football and leaving other sports with private and public schools?
I trust we are not talking football only. The results from Heinz Field yesterday:
[font=Helvetica]Pine Richland 34 Seneca Valley 7[/font]
[font=Helvetica]South Fayette 34 Thomas Jefferson 27[/font]
[font=Helvetica]Aliquippa 42 Derry 19[/font]
[font=Helvetica]OLSH 28 Rochester 6[/font]

[font=Helvetica]One private seven public I believe....[/font]
I guess you're right, we should judge the whole state and all classifications by the results of one district 
NeutralGuy
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by NeutralGuy »

The WPIAL is the best and most competitive district for HS football so it is an accurate barometer
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

NeutralGuy wrote:The WPIAL is the best and most competitive district for HS football so it is an accurate barometer
California is the most populated state in the union, should we generalize the nation is just like California?
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

NeutralGuy wrote:The WPIAL is the best and most competitive district for HS football so it is an accurate barometer
Most competitive sure, but best? Ehhh, one opinion. 
Birda
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by Birda »

In 2015, the Virginia High School League settled a lawsuit to allow its first private member. A couple of years before they basically shut out privates from scheduling publics because the games didn't count for playoff rankings and so isolated privates were forced to travel hours.

I believe only the school in the lawsuit has joined. They are subject to an attendance multiplier based on how their attendance zone is defined. If they define it the same as the public zone they're in, the attendance is 1:1. If they add a neighboring zone in the same county, it's 1.5x and 2x for a zone in a neighboring county.

Transfers from outside those areas are ineligible for a year after enrolling.

A system like this would solve most of the problems.

BG for example, could define its attendance zone the same as Altoona and use their true enrollment, but any players not zoned to Altoona would not be immediately eligible. They could add the Hollidaysburg zone with a 1.5 multiplier.

But existing private members won't vote against their own interests. I think a 4/2 format is a perfectly reasonable compromise.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk