United’s Kyle Silk moves to Ligonier Valley

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: United’s Kyle Silk moves to Ligonier Valley

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

That IS the topic we are discussing lol. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Calmor
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Calmor »

Wait till United’s RB feels left out, he’ll be on LV roster too. Why not make a super team
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

One item that seems to get left out of the transfer discussion is tuition. It's my understanding that most school districts will admit students who reside outside the district boundary if the family is willing to pay. Do many of the athletic transfers occur when a residence does not change, no hardship or family separation is claimed, and the parents simply fork over 10-15k and provide transportation to the new school? Does the payment/nonpayment of tuition factor into any district or PIAA decision to allow a transfer or post-season play?
IHeartFootball2
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by IHeartFootball2 »

All this transfer stuff is a societal issue that has been created over the last so many years. The NCAA has the transfer portal now so people can leave and go to a new team if they don’t like their current situation. Maybe I’m old school and have been brought up differently. When things get hard you work harder to try to better them & fight through adversity. But nowadays we just run to a better team. That’s the easy way. It’s all about the wins/losses. Nothing against this kid because I don’t know him or his situation. I’m just speaking in general.
Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Post by Fballrules17 »

Calmor wrote:Wait till United’s RB feels left out, he’ll be on LV roster too. Why not make a super team
They've already got one of those.  Hard to top what they already have at that spot.  I highly doubt anyone from LV had anything to do with this transfer, as insinuated earlier in the thread.  I believe it was 100% initiated by the athlete. 
It does raise the question.... Silk will play at LV next year.  What does LV do if he is declared ineligible for post-season play?  Do you play him at QB only to break in a new QB during play-off time?  They would win the Heritage with any number of their kids at QB.  That would be tough decision for the staff. 
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

Fballrules, any word on the tuition question raised above? Does tuition payment have any bearing eligibility decisions?
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

Fballrules17 wrote:
Calmor wrote:Wait till United’s RB feels left out, he’ll be on LV roster too. Why not make a super team
They've already got one of those.  Hard to top what they already have at that spot.  I highly doubt anyone from LV had anything to do with this transfer, as insinuated earlier in the thread.  I believe it was 100% initiated by the athlete. 
It does raise the question.... Silk will play at LV next year.  What does LV do if he is declared ineligible for post-season play?  Do you play him at QB only to break in a new QB during play-off time?  They would win the Heritage with any number of their kids at QB.  That would be tough decision for the staff. 
That will be a very interesting scenario.  Tough decision, for sure, and fun to watch. 
I'll bet not everyone in LV is ready to throw a ticker tape parade.  Nothing against the incoming player, but there's always someone about to be displaced.  A kid who's been there for the team through the years, getting beat up at practice as an underclassman, waiting for his shot senior year will now see some additional bench time.  The list of top picks for team MVP at senior awards night has just been shaken up, to say the least.  Another decision for the coaches:  do you make an incoming star a team captain or leave that role to the player/players who have earned the respect of the team?
Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Post by Fballrules17 »

Steve92 wrote:Fballrules, any word on the tuition question raised above?  Does tuition payment have any bearing eligibility decisions?
Can't say for sure but there is nothing in the 2018 rule that addresses tuition payments.  I think the old rule allowed for transfer due to academic programs, such as agriculture, perhaps certain AP courses, that would otherwise not be available to the student, etc.  That type of enrollment may have required paying tuition, if there is no residence in the district.  The current rule clearly states, academic reasons are not reasons to earn a hardship waiver. 
Great point on captains by the way.  Who knows though, he may be the type of kid that wins his teammates and coaches over, is elected captain, and it's a non-issue.  But it certainly could be.  Also the point about displacement is spot on.  Someone won't be starting on each side of the ball that otherwise would have been.  Kids are sometimes able to overcome that, parents, ehh, not so much.  lol. 
Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Post by Fballrules17 »

Then there is United, Coming off one of the more memorable seasons in school history, they are looking at dressing around 13-15 kids.  They take on LV (47 guys on the roster) this year on a Saturday afternoon in early September.  Wouldn't be surprised if at 1pm the temp is in the mid 80's.  Let's say, best case scenario, they start the season with 17 kids (From what I read that is wishful thinking).  Scrimmage, and play 2 regular season games.  Does anyone really think they can start that game with 13 or 14 kids and finish it?

In that heat, against 3 DI lineman and linebackers that average around 195 and can run.....

As usual no Heritage games with LV will be competitive this year but a several of them will provide less work for the starters than they get from the other 36 kids on the roster that make up the practice teams.