United’s Kyle Silk moves to Ligonier Valley

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: United’s Kyle Silk moves to Ligonier Valley

Post by konjo78 »

I havent been on here much of late but since everyone here is posting their responses ill do mine.

1. First thing is first, the real issue here is how small school districts are getting in district 6/5. United only having 14 players, saltsburg being similar last year and enrollments are going down. Its about dang time these districts look at real possibilities of joining up to just become bigger schools. Its hard to offer people things in high school when you have such small classes. (Sports, clubs, classes, ect).

2. Transfer rules in PA are lax. When I moved to Washington State my senior year I wasnt allowed to play sports unless i officially fought for it. Thats just isnt the case in Pennsylvania.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Just let high school athletes play high school sports. 
FunFacts
Junior
Junior

Post by FunFacts »

Don’t forget he is a multi sport athlete.  The transfer probably also locks up LV as the boys basketball champion in the Hertitage and puts them as the front runner for AAA as well.  
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:Just let high school athletes play high school sports. 
Ditto. All that is accomplished by strict transfer rules is affluent athletes and their families still are going to move and put their children in the best possible situation. Then find a loophole, or pay more for a residency, or lawyer up to fight for eligibility. 
Meanwhile for every case like this there are multiple situations where kids in bad situations (divorces, parents lose employment, abuse, bullying, educational difficulties, etc.) where now that kid can’t play maybe the only outlet they have from reality, sports.

Fballrules17
Junior
Junior

Post by Fballrules17 »

abpk2903 wrote:
Crimson's Ghost wrote:Just let high school athletes play high school sports. 
Ditto. All that is accomplished by strict transfer rules is affluent athletes and their families still are going to move and put their children in the best possible situation. Then find a loophole, or pay more for a residency, or lawyer up to fight for eligibility. 
Meanwhile for every case like this there are multiple situations where kids in bad situations (divorces, parents lose employment, abuse, bullying, educational difficulties, etc.) where now that kid can’t play maybe the only outlet they have from reality, sports.

Sounds like you should be contacting your state reps and encouraging them to support the proposed legislation which allows transfers for any reason.  It also has separate post-seasons for privates and publics but I'm guessing you probably wouldn't want that portion of the proposal. 
If we go down that road let's go all the way and allow recruiting by all coaches.  Districts could use tax payer money to give their coaches a recruiting budget,  Open enrollment everywhere, transfer every year if you'd like, we could have a signing day every year, that would be fun to watch. 
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

Regarding the multi sport--now favorite in basketball comment posted earlier.   I can buy that in the Heritage Conference but I can't imagine any scenario whereby he will be, as a SR transfer, granted eligibility under the current rules for the playoffs so I don't think it changes a thing in 6-AAA Playoffs.  In fact, this could hurt Liggy in the playoffs in all sports because suddenly they have to replace a key player from the regular season come playoff time.
upnorth
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by upnorth »

Head Roadie wrote:Regarding the multi sport--now favorite in basketball comment posted earlier.   I can buy that in the Heritage Conference but I can't imagine any scenario whereby he will be, as a SR transfer, granted eligibility under the current rules for the playoffs so I don't think it changes a thing in 6-AAA Playoffs.  In fact, this could hurt Liggy in the playoffs in all sports because suddenly they have to replace a key player from the regular season come playoff time.
Not necessarily.  Blacklick Valley girls basketball received a key sophomore transfer mid-season that was not only granted immediate eligibility, but was also allowed to participate in the district playoffs.
kmr
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by kmr »

BV girls couldn't play in any games for 20-25 days of transferring.  Practice was allowed but not games.  Silk supposedly lives in LV school district, transferred out of season and between Sr/Jr yr according to him for a good reason.  PIAA won't do anything.   What's the chances the Heritage Conference gets rid of LV?
Jimjohn81
Senior
Senior

Post by Jimjohn81 »

I'm a little late to the party.  The reason this young man is leaving is because of being bullied? Is this correct?
Jimjohn81
Senior
Senior

Post by Jimjohn81 »

Hopefully this young man's family didnt make this move for a "scholarship". Tutino was way better than Silk will ever be and he was limited in his choices. Juniata is a great school and they'd take Silk whether he played at Liggy or United. And if it was to be on a successful team I just dont get that either. Leave the guys you've grown up with for years to win a conference and disticts?? I guess times are a changing