Bedford- Ridge

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
pigskin50
Freshman
Freshman

Re: Bedford- Ridge

Post by pigskin50 »

Correct silentbob.....it's either a solo tackle OR 2 assists.....there can't be a solo tackle and 3 assists on one play.....
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

I have often glanced into the advertising programs for the record books of programs.  One thing that has always put a smirk on my face is the tackle records.

Correct my math if I am off.

In a HS game, roughly about 80 plays?  Would it be ok to assume 40 plays on each side of the ball? So 40 defensive snaps, that would include special teams.

Player A (whatever graduation year 1998) has a career total over 600 tackles.  Now, I am sure there are players that have done it, but I don't think it has happened as often as some celebrate.  Let me explain the smirk.

Lets say Player A plays 10 game season for a 3 year varsity career.  Makes a couple playoff games.  Lets say 35 games in their HS career.  Safe bet?

Lets say Player A ends with 650 career tackles.  That means roughly 215 tackles a year.  With 12 games, that would be averaging 17.9, lets say 18 tackles a game.  

So with the 40 defensive play theory, and getting involved 18 tackles.  That is being involved in half the tackles as either 1st man or 2nd man to the tackle?  Hmm.

Now what really complicates things and makes me really smirk is when the record book reads like this.

# Name - Grad Year - Tackles
1.  Player A - 650 - 1998
2.  Player B - 648 - 1996
3.  Player C - 635 - 1997

I smirk.  I know why it reads what it does.  I'd like to think Im a pretty smart guy.

Im hoping for a great game between CR and Bedford.  I think the kids will deliver on both sides.
Thanks!
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

You can add whatever graduation year, I don't have a secret jab hidden in this one. It coulda been 2008, 2018, or 1978. Just to clarify.
Thanks!
silentbob
Senior
Senior

Post by silentbob »

I'd think 40 is light..  I'd have to guess a little over 50 per game..  depending on the styles of course.  But in a 12 team conference if you see 1 team with 4 of the 10 top tacklers it makes you scratch your head....
Husker33
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Husker33 »

Normal high school game has between 120 and 150 total plays in it.

If you look at the team totals in tackles, Ridge has 458 total tackles and Bedford has 418.  It appears that Bedford's tackles are just more spread out across their roster.
“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.”
-Henry Ford

“Gentleman, this is a football. Before we’re through, we’re gonna run it down everybody’s throats.”
-Vince Lombardi
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

50 is probably fair.  I see a lot of different opinions on the google search for average high school plays, but I did see colleges are reporting 135 on average, I see them running a lot more given the increase in minutes per quarter.  

So could we agree that 100-110 is probably the ballpark number?

66 is the leader in the conference, thats 11 a game, that is very attainable.  PAhnter, alluded to the fact of the quick strike and opportunities on the defensive side of the ball. 

If I am reading this right, only 3 CR guys in top 10, and man it is close, with #6-20 only separated by 12 tackles.  Just a thought, the CR staff and stat guys do a pretty good job up there.  I don't see them inflating stats, if they did, I would be shocked.

But the ones I smirk at are the athletes recording over 20 tackles EVERY Friday night, then little brother does the same 2 years later.  Over 1200 tackles in the family.  

O'doyle Rules!!
Thanks!
SportsFan96
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by SportsFan96 »

I know from previous years when talking to CR people, that their tackling stats are done like what was mentioned in an earlier comment..only 2 kids get credit if more than one in on a tackle...solo tackles are self explanatory so only that person gets credit.  
Scarlets1992
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scarlets1992 »

If you look at avg tackles per game for each team, most are around 60 ish. Ridge and Guilfoyle are the outliers. Ridge at 76 is the most off. Guessing their statistician is very liberal in gifting assists instead of crediting tackles as solo. Look at their individual stats: assists are heavier for them compared to other lhac teams.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Also gotta consider the plays where the ball is thrown out of bounds or incomplete, the runner goes out of bounds, or TD runs. I’d bet 20-25% of all plays fall into one of those categories. 
SportsFan96
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by SportsFan96 »

Scarlets1992 wrote:If you look at avg tackles per game for each team, most are around 60 ish. Ridge and Guilfoyle are the outliers. Ridge at 76 is the most off. Guessing their statistician is very liberal in gifting assists instead of crediting tackles as solo. Look at their individual stats: assists are heavier for them compared to other lhac teams.
Just my perspective, but when I watch HS games it appears as if most tackles are made by a group, solo tackles appear to happen less often, so giving more assists would tend to be the norm IMO. I haven’t seen BG play yet, so I don’t know of they have a quick strike offense, but from the CR games I’ve seen , their offense is not on the field as much as their defense and the defense doesn’t tend to have a whole lot of 3 and outs, more of a bend don’t break, so that could be a reason for the higher tackle numbers. I admit I have not researched their offensive vs defensive plays, but that’s my observation from what it appeared just from what I have watched.