Midseason grades on new coaches?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Midseason grades on new coaches?

Post by youngbuck »

youngbuck wrote:
knowitall wrote:CT-Shade next Friday.  If CT wins, it will go 5-4 in WestPAC play this year.  That’s worthy of at least a C.
And if they lose 54 -0?  
Another loss to North Star.   F for Penna
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

Township lost their starting QB and probably best overall athlete Byer last week to a broken wrist against Portage. NOT giving Penna the benefit here too much, but losing your best player on top of not really having a good team to begin with is not ideal to pick up anymore wins.
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

So CT is the only team that faced injury this year?
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Honestly I dont think grades should be handed out after one year. Takes more time to get systems in place and kids buying in. I know some coaches have done it Tusseys coach being one when he took over last year. But normally it takes time.
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

Sad state of affairs when parents call the school and rally the troops to question the first year coach. Son doesn’t touch the ball enough so let’s create a stir. Let’s get the guy fired so I can get the job, I coached pee wee football and I can do better. Just remember this... when your next opponent is yourself because of negative attitudes by parents that carry over to the athletes, there is no way you can beat the guys lined up across from you. Can’t do it when you are already beating yourself. Team sports are being ruined by negative parents who can do better because they coached youth football. Parents who haven’t coached varsity football (for the most part) are clueless. Let the coaches coach, players play and officials officiate.
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

So what expectations are allowed off coaches?
Winning games?
Appropriate behavior of athletes during contests?
What about the rumors of medication being handed out by the head coach at one school?
Not sure it being all about Bud Kilmers 12 district title should be the focus of these teams
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

1. Produce respectable and respectful young men. 2. Instill pride, teamwork, work ethic, develop skills that will assist them in being good people. 3. Win within your limits. Good supervisors understand the limits of a team. Win within your limits. Out plan and outwork an opponent or two.
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CoffinCorner »

BigSkyCountry wrote:1. Produce respectable and respectful young men. 2. Instill pride, teamwork, work ethic, develop skills that will assist them in being good people. 3. Win within your limits. Good supervisors understand the limits of a team. Win within your limits. Out plan and outwork an opponent or two.
Agree with this.  would add in assist the appropriate players have an opportunity to play at the next level
with the criteria above, which coaches locally would be graded as A?  Not just new coaches, but everyone overall
Would say Pat Barron, Jarrod Lewis, Doug Paul, Tim Janocko, John Franco are A (sure there are some more) 
Bailey and John Hayes were A level. 
stownJohn
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by stownJohn »

youngbuck wrote:
youngbuck wrote:
knowitall wrote:CT-Shade next Friday.  If CT wins, it will go 5-4 in WestPAC play this year.  That’s worthy of at least a C.
And if they lose 54 -0?  
Another loss to North Star.   F for Penna
If Penna gets an ‘F’ then grading Bruce Jordan becomes a little more difficult since he inherited Penna’s train wreck. I’ll give Jordan a D- since he has a legit scapegoat in Penna. 
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

I agree that Penna left a culture of undisciplined players behind at Johnstown, saw them once this year and sideline and in game antics have only gotten worse.  Team has not improved on the field or off of it under Jordan.  But he did have uphill battle.