Shady Side Academy to forfeit game

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Re: Shady Side Academy to forfeit game

Post by BigSkyCountry »

I saw a facebook post the other day of a PeeWee mom sharing that the 4, 5 and 6 graders in their program are going to rock it as they move through the system. There are 6-8 kids playing at the peewee level per grade in those grade levels. Never have I seen a complete roll over from peewee into grade 7 for the start of Jr. High Football. Now thats 5-7 per grade playing at the Jr. High level, or less. Rarely have I seen all of the Jr. High players roll over to jv/varsity. Now you are down to 4-5 players or less. I hate to share with that mom, but there may not be a varsity team by the time your children move up to when it counts. Co-ops are coming if the trends continue. If you do not want to kill your mascot, follow Windber's lead NOW and go to flag. I believe in organized recreational activity for kids. If it did not exist, kids would strictly be tied up behind their electronics. Electronics are easy and if you dont like whats going on, hit reset.  Another pet peeve of mine in the world of youth football is having the games announced and under lights. Some places have a parents night where the child and the parent walk across the field and we hear their accomplishments. For crying out loud people, save the hype for when it counts - Varsity football. Once they get to Jr. High and JV, everyone wonders where the announcer and night games are. Build up to it. Make it special. The youth football Appalachian trophy meant what? Too many games and these kids dont need tackle, announcers and lights to learn the fundamentals of the game and have fun. Here is another good one - I saw a young kid with a "Ken Lantzy type jersey" on the other day. I asked him what that was and he said it was for the all star game in youth football. This is crazy! Say that to a current coach or organizer of the league and you will be chastised. Enough of my rant! Good luck to those football players who are playing tonight! 
Jimjohn81
Senior
Senior

Post by Jimjohn81 »

Count me in on the population problem as the main reason. Everyone can find an outlier but look at the states/areas that are booming with population and chances are so are athletics.  Western Pa isnt what it once was. Schools used to have 900 now have 150 in a class. Schools that used to have 120 now have 60 in a class. Florida, Texas, Cali, Vegas, etc. These states/areas are producing tons of talent. I went to Orlando a few years ago and their local track meet wouldve had the top 8 times in the state of PA in the 100 that particular year.  
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

BigSkyCountry wrote:If you do not want to kill your mascot, follow Windber's lead NOW and go to flag.
I agree with all the points about flag football and such just wanted everyone to know that Windber Isn't the patriarch school In this deal or anything. Hell if they were they wouldn't be playing anyone but themselves. Windber, North Star, Meyersdale, Portage and I THINK maybe Blacklick Valley(not 100% sure about them) from MY knowledge have all gone to a flag league for the past couple of seasons. Not sure If any other teams in the Westpac/other Conferences joined In on this yet.