Shady Side Academy to forfeit game

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Shady Side Academy to forfeit game

Post by knowitall »

According to the Tribune Review the 3-1 team has seen its numbers dwindle from 23 to 14 after just four games.

I also read that District 10’s Fairview will forfeit this week as well.

We eagerly await Conemaugh Valley’s and United’s decisions on whether they can play this weekend.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Shady Side Academy to forfeit game

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Wow that's crazy. How time can really effect schools. 21 years ago Untied won d6 and Shady Side lost to Mount Carmel in the state championship.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

United played in the District 6A championship game last year. Shadyside Academy went 10-0 in the regular season last year before losing in the first round of the WPIAL playoffs. It won its first three games this year--29-6, 27-0, 35-12-- before losing big last week to Neshannock (it was tied 14-14 after one quarter). Their opponent this week, Apollo Ridge, had homecoming and the 100th birthday of its home field scheduled this week.
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

Is Shadyside banged up? Couldn't see kids just quitting after starting 3-1. But society is different these days.
BigSkyCountry
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by BigSkyCountry »

Sad state of affairs with football and sports in general. Football is a physical sport that is demanding on the body. With kids playing at a younger and younger age... many are giving up on the sport before it counts and before their body develops. This alone is causing lower numbers at the Jr. High level. Kids at the Jr. High level decide that the sport is not for them and the Varsity numbers are depleted. Throw in the fact that so many of today's kids are a part of the entitled generation. I want to start and I want to start now. When that does not occur, they quit. Professional role models demanding trades is not setting a good example either - I can just pack my bags and go elsewhere. Its sad. The value of team sports is diminishing. Not everywhere and not with everyone. I am not liking where athletics are heading. I only mentioned a few of my pet peeves - throw in work, specialization, decreasing population in certain communities...... the list can go on. High school football as we know it is going to be in question in a very short period of time. Maybe High School sports period.
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Post by Steve92 »

There are lots of factors, but I think the biggest is digital entertainment. Kids walk around the house bumping into walls while playing video games, watching Youtube, Netflix, taking pictures of half their faces to post to social media, etc. They can't do homework without checking the phone every 45 seconds. The stuff is brain candy, and most kids (some adults) would rather seek the next fix than interact with the people around them, play sports, build stuff, etc. Everything that isn't easy entertainment is just a distraction from what really matters to them, which is their smartphones. Athletics can still be a thrill for some, but they have to 1. discover the thrill and 2. decide to put down the phone long enough to engage in it. The joy of athletics has to outweigh the fear of missing out when the phone isn't in hand. Every year fewer kids are getting 1 and 2.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I don’t know if we have to blame video games and cell phones again for all of the world’s problems. I think a lot of it comes down to CTE and the physicality of football. Parents just aren’t letting their kids that play football. 

People I know that were star football players in high school basically aren’t letting their children play football anymore. They play baseball and basketball etc. they just aren’t playing football.
thereplacement2
Senior
Senior

Post by thereplacement2 »

BigSkyCountry nailed it!  time for youth football to be flag again!
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Crimson's Ghost wrote:I don’t know if we have to blame video games and cell phones again for all of the world’s problems. I think a lot of it comes down to CTE and the physicality of football. Parents just aren’t letting their kids that play football. 

People I know that were star football players in high school basically aren’t letting their children play football anymore. They play baseball and basketball etc. they just aren’t playing football.
:ymapplause:
Thanks!
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

BigSkyCountry wrote:Sad state of affairs with football and sports in general. Football is a physical sport that is demanding on the body. With kids playing at a younger and younger age... many are giving up on the sport before it counts and before their body develops. This alone is causing lower numbers at the Jr. High level. Kids at the Jr. High level decide that the sport is not for them and the Varsity numbers are depleted. Throw in the fact that so many of today's kids are a part of the entitled generation. I want to start and I want to start now. When that does not occur, they quit. Professional role models demanding trades is not setting a good example either - I can just pack my bags and go elsewhere. Its sad. The value of team sports is diminishing. Not everywhere and not with everyone. I am not liking where athletics are heading. I only mentioned a few of my pet peeves - throw in work, specialization, decreasing population in certain communities...... the list can go on. High school football as we know it is going to be in question in a very short period of time. Maybe High School sports period.
:ymapplause: \M/
Thanks!