District 5-A playoffs

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
footballguy99
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

District 5-A playoffs

Post by footballguy99 »

Week 10 still looms but the field is set. 
Tussey Mountain hosts Shade.
Northern Bedford plays Windber.  @NB with an NB win or Windber loss. Windber hosts with a win and NB loss. 
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: District 5-A playoffs

Post by youngbuck »

Miss the days of the 5 - 6 combo playoffs.
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

youngbuck wrote:Miss the days of the 5 - 6 combo playoffs.
Would make for some pretty interesting brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

I agree!  D5 is Somerset, Bedford, & Fulton.  Fulton doesn't have football at any of their schools.  So basically, D5 is a two county district with enrollment that has been a little sporadic at times, for football, which is only 1 sport, I get it.  But a lot of decisions have been made as football drives the bus for a lot of conferences/scheduling.

I'd love to see the merger.  

Can someone explain the D5 marriage?  

I don't get it. Are any of the Somerset schools playing Fulton county schools in other sports in the regular season?  If Somerset schools are playing D6ers sometimes because of conference or proximity, wouldn't the move be smart to go 5/6?

Konjo rates (-3).  Had a gf from Fulton County once.  She left him for a laundry lists of reasons.  Still misses her, clicks (-3) in anger. Tells co-worker about online fight he is having with a CharlieConway.  Mondays are S#&^!
Thanks!
footballguy99
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by footballguy99 »

D6 should have let Claysburg, Portage, and Blacklick go to District 5 years ago.

D6 gets an automatic trip to the final 4 in the state. The D5 champ is basically in a merger with D9 and D10 as they are all small.
ICCFan
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by ICCFan »

Charlie the D5 situation is that way I suppose because district lines are older than dirt and that's the way they've always been.

2 thoughts: One, Would'nt it make more sense for District 5 to be Bedford-Fulton-Blair-Huntingdon and everything else North that's east of I-99? Somerset-Cambria-Indiana and west of the interstate then becomes District 6. The other thought, maybe it's time for football only to have 8 regions. Keep districts for every other sport but football playoffs, being the relative newcomer don't have as lengthy of tradition, go to 8 regions that shift cycle to cycle and classification to classification with an equal amount of schools (probably about 12) in each region per classification and go from there. Probably would cut another week off of an already too long season too. 10 weeks, 2 weeks of region playoffs (top 4 per region) and 3 weeks for the 8 regions to play to a state championship.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

I like it! :ymapplause:

But that type of restructure would require some "old heads" to release their PIAA reigns to the new guard.  Highly unlikely, IMO.  Old head knows best.  Youngsters don't know what they are doing.  

Gotta protect that legacy.  

Change is tough, new tricks are hard to learn.  

I'd like to get a new puppy, but I gotta wait until fido takes the dirt nap.  He is a good loyal dog, got us through some tough times, we will let him rule the yard and lift his leg in his final days. 

I think a lot of modern changes that will benefit the current situation of sports in PA is on the horizon.  
Thanks!