Playing up question

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Playing up question

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

If any of the top four seeds in D6 AA would have played AAA this year, would they be able or likely to win the district title?  
sportsfan1072
Sophomore
Sophomore

Re: Playing up question

Post by sportsfan1072 »

Well, Penns Valley already played 3 of the 4 AAA schools and won all 3. Their only loss was to the undefeated #1 AAAA Clearfield by 7 points. Bellwood did already beat Tyrone in a double OT game I believe. Richland has played some pretty stiff competition (and some bad) and won vs Bedford (District 5 #1 AAA team 42-13), Westmont (District 6 #3 AAA team 42-6), BG (likely the #1 A team 36-0). Another tough one this week against a good Chestnut Ridge team.

I think the 2 best teams in AA are Richland and Penns Valley and they could easily win the AAA. The other 2 could compete with the AAA schools. Just my opinion.
billmurray
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by billmurray »

sportsfan1072 wrote:Well, Penns Valley already played 3 of the 4 AAA schools and won all 3.  Their only loss was to the undefeated #1 AAAA Clearfield by 7 points.  Bellwood did already beat Tyrone in a double OT game I believe.  Richland has played some pretty stiff competition (and some bad) and won vs Bedford (District 5 #1 AAA team 42-13), Westmont (District 6 #3 AAA team 42-6), BG (likely the #1 A team 36-0).  Another tough one this week against a good Chestnut Ridge team.  

I think the 2 best teams in AA are Richland and Penns Valley and they could easily win the AAA.  The other 2 could compete with the AAA schools.  Just my opinion.
I'll go one better, I think that PV or Richland would have a better shot at winning a state title in 3A. Would they beat Aliquippa or Wyomissing, the two teams I think look the best for that game right now? I'd give them a 40% chance just based on the fact that Quips haven't really seen a very good team yet. Wyomissing, they have.  We'll see what Quips have this friday vs Central Valley
DragonsDoExist
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by DragonsDoExist »

sportsfan1072 wrote:Well, Penns Valley already played 3 of the 4 AAA schools and won all 3. Their only loss was to the undefeated #1 AAAA Clearfield by 7 points. Bellwood did already beat Tyrone in a double OT game I believe. Richland has played some pretty stiff competition (and some bad) and won vs Bedford (District 5 #1 AAA team 42-13), Westmont (District 6 #3 AAA team 42-6), BG (likely the #1 A team 36-0). Another tough one this week against a good Chestnut Ridge team.

I think the 2 best teams in AA are Richland and Penns Valley and they could easily win the AAA. The other 2 could compete with the AAA schools. Just my opinion.
Clearfield has 2 losses (Bellefonte and Bald Eagle Area).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You play to win the game!!!
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CoffinCorner »

Agree that Richland, LV or Penns Valley would stand a good chance to win AAA.  not sure BEA would be the favorite against any if them.  
I always thought in the old 4 classification system there were years when teams should have jumped from AA to AAA to avoid some of the powerhouse Forest Hills and Tyrone teams and still have a shot at winning a district title.
CoffinCorner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CoffinCorner »

Interestingly, I dont think there is a single A team that would make any noise in AA. The LV Portage game this weekend will be a pretty good example of this.

Speaking of playing up, didnt Don Bailey play AAA last year despite being a AA school by size? I might be wrong on that though
PortagePride
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by PortagePride »

CoffinCorner wrote:Interestingly, I dont think there is a single A team that would make any noise in AA.  The LV Portage game this weekend will be a pretty good example of this.  
This year there is no team In Single A like a previous BG squad that could hold up against larger classifications.

State wide let's be honest here...Not One Team In Single A nor Double AA are going to make noise against Southern Columbia. AAA they might be the favorite too and hell I'd love to see what they'd do against the Quad A and maybe even the 5A State Champs. They already laid waste to state ranked Wyoming and Montoursville(both AAA) like they were nothing.
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

I think that the last three years that LV could have played AAA and been competitive with the teams that won the district title, would have loved to see the 2017 FH and LV teams play. Richland was better than any of the AAA teams last year in D6 and from the looks of the scores they are this year as well.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Doesn't it taint your district title if you have to move to an easier district to get it? Beating LV and Richland on your way to a district title will be much more meaningful and memorable than saying, we moved up two classes, played one team with a winning record and now we're champs. Whooped! I think moving up to avoid competition is a terrible idea.
EnzoLigoniere
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by EnzoLigoniere »

Colonel Mustard wrote:Doesn't it taint your district title if you have to move to an easier district to get it? Beating LV and Richland on your way to a district title will be much more meaningful and memorable than saying, we moved up two classes, played one team with a winning record and now we're champs.  Whooped!  I think moving up to avoid competition is a terrible idea.
Now wait a second, everyone including Tubmill complains about the size advantage that LV has in the heritage, but now you are saying that it does not mean as much to win against bigger schools.   Completely disagree, are you saying that Alliquipa district titles have less meaning than if they played a A playoff schedule.  I think playing larger schools should get more respect.