How would you solve the forfeit problem

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: How would you solve the forfeit problem

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

Manfred wrote:
abpk2903 wrote:It is crazy and unimaginable that high schools with 10th-12th grade TOTAL male enrollment numbers of around 60 are having a hard time fielding football teams when they have other fall activities being offered (soccer, band, fall baseball leagues, etc.). 

It’s almost as if maybe there aren’t enough kids to support all of these activities.

But hey let’s let 105 lb 9th graders come up and play...that should fix it. 
Just curious.....WHERE around this part of Pa. is fall baseball offered?
There is (was) a team out of Northern Cambria. They played in the WPFBL. About 7 years ago there were 36 teams from uniontown to new castle. They played a double header every sat for 7 weeks. Late August to mid October.  Then playoffs with the championship at PNC park.  My son played one year, and blew his shoulder out. I got to see some great baseball and really good players. There were players from the Pittsburgh area committed to some very good D1 programs. Most of the kids played football friday night and baseball sat. I believe there were kids from 7 schools on the team that year. Tomayko Electric from Clymer was the sponsor. And that team beat Penn Hills in the semi final, and lost to The pittsburgh Pirates (City league all star team) 4 to 3 in the championship game. The losing pitcher played QB for Marion Center Friday night, and pitched 6 innings Saturday. 
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Blueandwhitefan wrote:
Manfred wrote:
abpk2903 wrote:It is crazy and unimaginable that high schools with 10th-12th grade TOTAL male enrollment numbers of around 60 are having a hard time fielding football teams when they have other fall activities being offered (soccer, band, fall baseball leagues, etc.). 

It’s almost as if maybe there aren’t enough kids to support all of these activities.

But hey let’s let 105 lb 9th graders come up and play...that should fix it. 
Just curious.....WHERE around this part of Pa. is fall baseball offered?
There is (was) a team out of Northern Cambria. They played in the WPFBL. About 7 years ago there were 36 teams from uniontown to new castle. They played a double header every sat for 7 weeks. Late August to mid October.  Then playoffs with the championship at PNC park.  My son played one year, and blew his shoulder out. I got to see some great baseball and really good players. There were players from the Pittsburgh area committed to some very good D1 programs. Most of the kids played football friday night and baseball sat. I believe there were kids from 7 schools on the team that year. Tomayko Electric from Clymer was the sponsor. And that team beat Penn Hills in the semi final, and lost to The pittsburgh Pirates (City league all star team) 4 to 3 in the championship game. The losing pitcher played QB for Marion Center Friday night, and pitched 6 innings Saturday. 
I give you that, but the way it was worded, is fall baseball was offered as a HIGH SCHOOL sport that 'took kids away' from other sports.  By your explanation it was a extra-curricular option for those 'special' athletes.
It ain't over until it's over.
Blueandwhitefan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Blueandwhitefan »

Manfred wrote:
Blueandwhitefan wrote:
Manfred wrote: Just curious.....WHERE around this part of Pa. is fall baseball offered?
I give you that, but the way it was worded, is fall baseball was offered as a HIGH SCHOOL sport that 'took kids away' from other sports.  By your explanation it was a extra-curricular option for those 'special' athletes.
That's correct in this area. There were many teams that were High School sponsored. But, I believe the closest was Hempfield.
You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!!!
X3pointer
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by X3pointer »

I think many people are overreacting  to forfeits, yes something has to be done but nothing major. How many forfeits were in each conference this  season?
MrBaseball
Freshman
Freshman

Post by MrBaseball »

FOOTBALL FORUM.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Any team that forfeits should not be eligible for playoffs. And conferences should be realigned by size. Certainly between the Heritage, WestPAC, and LHAC you could have new conferences that are based on size and not change the amount of travel too much. 
X3pointer
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by X3pointer »

Not all forfeits are related to enrollment size sometimes there has to be other reasons, Example United forfeited  games this year because they didn’t have enough players.When  you look at their enrollment numbers they are almost AA with 110  boys . Something else must be wrong ! 
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

X3pointer wrote:Not all forfeits are related to enrollment size sometimes there has to be other reasons, Example United forfeited  games this year because they didn’t have enough players.When  you look at their enrollment numbers they are almost AA with 110  boys . Something else must be wrong ! 
Agree, but many forfeits this year were a team not playing either A.) a good team such as LV or B.) A larger school with a winning record 
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

CCDevil2012 wrote:Any team that forfeits should not be eligible for playoffs. And conferences should be realigned by size. Certainly between the Heritage, WestPAC, and LHAC you could have new conferences that are based on size and not change the amount of travel too much. 
Why aren't people high fiving this guy!!  \M/
Thanks!
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

X3pointer wrote:Not all forfeits are related to enrollment size sometimes there has to be other reasons, Example United forfeited  games this year because they didn’t have enough players.When  you look at their enrollment numbers they are almost AA with 110  boys . Something else must be wrong ! 
I thought the same thing with P-O. A triple A school forfeiting? I know they’ve had bad luck with injuries, but really?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk