How would you solve the forfeit problem

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Steve92
Senior
Senior

Re: How would you solve the forfeit problem

Post by Steve92 »

I don't want to see the decision to put freshmen on the field against seniors influenced by potential fines.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

That too. The decision to put ninth graders on the varsity was a terrible decision and has proven to just be a band aid for a gaping wound.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

It is crazy and unimaginable that high schools with 10th-12th grade TOTAL male enrollment numbers of around 60 are having a hard time fielding football teams when they have other fall activities being offered (soccer, band, fall baseball leagues, etc.). 

It’s almost as if maybe there aren’t enough kids to support all of these activities.

But hey let’s let 105 lb 9th graders come up and play...that should fix it. 
PaSportsGuy
Junior
Junior

Post by PaSportsGuy »

abpk2903 wrote:It is crazy and unimaginable that high schools with 10th-12th grade TOTAL male enrollment numbers of around 60 are having a hard time fielding football teams when they have other fall activities being offered (soccer, band, fall baseball leagues, etc.). 

It’s almost as if maybe there aren’t enough kids to support all of these activities.

Why is it crazy?? Less and less people are living in rural areas compared to the city. Plus less and less kids coming through are into sports for whatever reason. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

At the end of last season Conemaugh Valley had about 18 players or so, ten of whom were seniors.  They had six eighth graders on the junior high team.  They have three freshmen on this year’s team.  The were able to recruit eight kids who did not play on either team last year.  
youngbuck
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by youngbuck »

Why does every school have to have their own football team?  
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

They don’t. But finding schools that are willing to co-op isn’t going to be easy.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

I got a off the wall idea, if anyone would like to hear.  

I think conferences force teams to commit to playing each other.  

In PIAA sports, conferences were used back in the 60's and 70's to HELP determine a championship since there was no state playoffs.  

They work at the collegiate level, cause well, ugh, we don't see NCAA teams forfeiting for lack of participation.  Please don't mix the water, it muddies my point.  

With state playoffs now in effect, I would like the question, should conferences even exist?  I seriously think they cause more scheduling problems than they fix.

Today, lets make these A.D.'s earn their $30,000 stipends!  How about abandon the conferences, play by proximity!  Let the A.D.s go out and get 2-4 year contracts!  

Would not be that hard to fill.  For example:

Lets take Claysburg Kimmel:

Here are a list of schools that would automatically schedule on 4 year cycles because of travel, school size, gate, and rivalry.  Heck and may break even on their end of the year budget for football with a good gate:
1. Tussey Mountain
2. Northern Bedford
3. Windber
4. Portage
5. B.G.
6. Williamsburg
7. Berlin
8. Everett
Weeks 9 and 10, go find 2 games A.D.  Or schedule one of the bigger schools nearby!

Or here is another solution, restructure the conferences to smaller numbers and allow some "outside" the conference scheduling with 2-4 year contracts.

That way you can avoid the bad apples until they get their programs right.  Then sign them to a 2 year deal.  Don't burn anyone with a forfiet, because it would be tough to find games.  

Or how about this one:  Call the opposing coach - 
"Listen, our program is rebuilding.  We gotta roll a lot of freshman out this week.  We know you guys are loaded, but we are stuck.  Just wanted to give you a heads up."

MOST coaches, believe it or not, would give their starters a series or two rep on each side of the ball, put the game away earlier and let their developmental players get some Friday night time.  Most coaches worth their weight.  

If you are down and they bring out the hammer and smash you 72-0, then don't schedule them anymore.  

Power to the People!!  

I'm calling for a revolution!  

Old head ADs that want to hold on to their legacy, conferences, are causing more scheduling problems then they are fixing.  

I'd name the conferences, but I am pretty sure you are all smart enough to figure out those who can't get out of their own shadow, because "this is the way we have always done it."
Thanks!
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

abpk2903 wrote:It is crazy and unimaginable that high schools with 10th-12th grade TOTAL male enrollment numbers of around 60 are having a hard time fielding football teams when they have other fall activities being offered (soccer, band, fall baseball leagues, etc.). 

Just curious.....WHERE around this part of Pa. is fall baseball offered?
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Flood City Elite has some travel fall baseball for some of its programs.