How would you solve the forfeit problem

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Scarlets1992
Freshman
Freshman

Re: How would you solve the forfeit problem

Post by Scarlets1992 »

In my opinion, we're missing the real issue here...and it's been an issue that we've had our head in the sand with for 40 years. Consolidation is needed in this area. School districts, townships, boroughs, etc. It's not going to get better. Mergers needed to happen decades ago, but giving up your fiefdom is not an easy thing for those in power to do. Thus, we're left with this situation. There are not enough students in the building nor taxpayers in the district to offer the services we all want the school to provide. Football simply brings it to our attention. Co-ops are a band-aid, but they do offer short term solutions.
Aiks19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Aiks19 »

Scarlets.... agree 100 %

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

Scarlets1992 wrote:In my opinion, we're missing the real issue here...and it's been an issue that we've had our head in the sand with for 40 years.  Consolidation is needed in this area.  School districts, townships, boroughs, etc.  It's not going to get better.  Mergers needed to happen decades ago, but giving up your fiefdom is not an easy thing for those in power to do.  Thus, we're left with this situation.  There are not enough students in the building nor taxpayers in the district to offer the services we all want the school to provide. Football simply brings it to our attention. Co-ops are a band-aid, but they do offer short term solutions.
I like it!!! But where would we start first?   :-?

Every old head just sat up at their computer  [-(.  
Thanks!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

One of the best schools to split apart is Penns Manor. The school district is so spread out you could easilt funnel all the kids to MC, PL, NC, and united without much issue.
Scarlets1992
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scarlets1992 »

I'm no geopolitical expert, and I only really know the Johnstown area, but there is no logical reason Ferndale School District exists. It's made up of little pockets of neighborhoods that are firmly in the middle of other districts- Greater Johnstown primarily. Though a case could be made that some areas are more aligned with Westmont (Brownstown). That district should have merged years ago. Conemaugh Valley is another. There are 5 districts with Johnstown addresses ( Johnstown, Westmont, Richland, Ferndale, and CV). The population suggests this should be a one or two high school city. Three? Eh, ok, that's possible...but five? This won't happen, not in my lifetime, but consolidating is really the big picture solution that needs to occur. And I believe the state and federal funds are greater for larger districts, so there would be an economic benefit as well. Still... it's a pipe dream, I realize that.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Biggest union in the state, the TEACHERS union.  THAT -ain't- going to happen in several lifetimes!  Too many jobs to be lost, pensions, hospitalization, all that 'golden umbrella' stuff.
It ain't over until it's over.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

How many teaching jobs would be lost to consolidation?  Probably none.
Scarlets1992
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Scarlets1992 »

I'm not sure if many teaching jobs would be lost, but the payscales wouldn't match- and that would be a problem. Bigger still are the problems of school board members losing seats and administrators losing positions because of duplication (can't have two superintendents).  There are many other reasons it won't happen, but these two are enough to keep us in the status quo for a few more decades. 
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

You can certainly have two superintendents. One would just be called something else like director of curriculum/head football coach or assistant superintendent.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I thought one of the benefits of merging would be to not pay multiple salaries to do the same job?