Post by knowitall »

LOL. $25,000 a year.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: 2020 LV schedule....

Post by tubmill »

CharlieConway wrote: February 4th, 2020, 8:55 am
Crimson's Ghost wrote: February 4th, 2020, 8:21 am The WPIAL's scheduling and conference alignment process is pretty bad. Some want District 6 to adopt it though.
I just think there is some corruption to some of the scheduling. Some conferences have made it really tough on others and forced teams out. Some schools should be in other conferences, etc.

I think too much power is in the hands of athletic directors, some are just bad seeds. Not kidding.

Its like a boys clubhouse, they let some in and don't let in others for various reasons.

Thats my issue.

I think if they had "stricter guidelines" or a system to follow, they would quit with the popularity contests.

It looks like a dang Middle School lunchroom!! You can sit at my table, and no you can't.

Sometimes the teacher needs to set the parameters/expectations/guidelines to increase fairness.
The Athletic Directors have no say in which conference or league a school district will compete. The School Directors determine that.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

knowitall wrote: February 4th, 2020, 5:45 am Didn’t I read somewhere that Aliquippa has wanted to scrimmage them?

How can Ligonier move to the WPIAL and be scheduled to play Indiana but not Derry which is right next door? Or Greensburg-Salem?
I would have to see the master schedule to determine how non conference games were chosen. Indiana is only 36 miles from LVHS. I believe that as time goes by the WPIAL , will try to work in Derry, Mt. Pleasant, Southmoreland and GCC. It is important to note that only conference games count towards the WPIAL playoffs. I think the WPIAL did a credible job with LV'S non-conference games. Frazier, Indiana and Jeanette are reasonable trips for the Rams.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Am I the only one that has never heard of Frazier? You can't tell me that LV people would rather play Frazier than Johnstown, Forest Hills, and Richland.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

If the LV folks wanted to play Johnstown, Richland and Forest Hills, they would have pressured the LVSD board of directors to join the LHAC. When Ridge joined the Laurel Highlands, Ligonier declined the invitation. This time, the LHAC wasn't even considered. Frazier High School is 40 mi from Ligoner Valley H.S.. Sidman is 36 mi from LVHS. What difference does that make? You have to understand that folks in Ligonier don't consider themselves to be in the Johnstown area. They are in Westmoreland They do their shopping in the Latrobe and Greensburg areas. The newspapers that cover LV's athletic teams are the Tribune Review and the Latrobe Bulletin. I live in New Florence and haven't been to Johnstown in years. Frankly, I don't feel safe there. I follow the WPIAL and I do know about Frazier High School. In 1969, when Laurel Valley went to it's first of multiple trips to the PIAA Boys Basketball championship games , Frazier was also in Harrisburg along with the Rams. They lost to Mansfield in the Class B championship game. I had originally hoped that the Rams would join the LHAC, but our board decided that the WPIAL was best for our kids. That idea has grown on me. The notoriety and prestige of the WPIAL runs circles around the Laurel Highlands.
Last edited by tubmill on February 5th, 2020, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Hey, I don't always feel safe in Westmoreland County lol
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

You have a point, Crimson! Lol
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

tubmill wrote: February 4th, 2020, 5:14 pm
CharlieConway wrote: February 4th, 2020, 8:55 am
Crimson's Ghost wrote: February 4th, 2020, 8:21 am The WPIAL's scheduling and conference alignment process is pretty bad. Some want District 6 to adopt it though.
I just think there is some corruption to some of the scheduling. Some conferences have made it really tough on others and forced teams out. Some schools should be in other conferences, etc.

I think too much power is in the hands of athletic directors, some are just bad seeds. Not kidding.

Its like a boys clubhouse, they let some in and don't let in others for various reasons.

Thats my issue.

I think if they had "stricter guidelines" or a system to follow, they would quit with the popularity contests.

It looks like a dang Middle School lunchroom!! You can sit at my table, and no you can't.

Sometimes the teacher needs to set the parameters/expectations/guidelines to increase fairness.
The Athletic Directors have no say in which conference or league a school district will compete. The School Directors determine that.
Correct. Once conference is established, who runs it?
Thanks!
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Since Ligonier Valley put its tail between its legs and fled the LHAC years ago and then saw its football seasons end two years in a row to Richland I doubt very much that they were interested in returning. It will eventually fade into obscurity in the WPIAL with the Fraziers, Youghs and Geibels.
CharlieConway
Senior
Senior

Post by CharlieConway »

What was the feelings of the Ligonier community? Was this a community "Yay!" or was this driven by certain members? Just curious to what the community and kids are saying?

Just asking because I know some communities during conference changes were kicking and screaming "no" but certain people believe it was in their best interest.
Thanks!