2020 LV schedule....

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: 2020 LV schedule....

Post by Manfred »

1969. Mansfield. 6'-11" Tom McMillen. Played in the Johnstown War Memorial Holiday Tournament, back in its glory days as a NATIONAL tournament, not the joke it has now. Not many teams able to overcome a talented big man like that. He was a pretty good politician after that too.
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I don't think the War Memorial Shootout is meant to be a revival of the tournament of year's past. It's sort of its own thing. I commend them for trying to get basketball in the arena, so I wouldn't classify it as a joke. Oak Hill Academy isn't coming to Johnstown to play, so I think they're doing fine with what they have hosting the Forest Hills' and Ferndale's etc.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

CharlieConway wrote: February 5th, 2020, 9:07 am What was the feelings of the Ligonier community? Was this a community "Yay!" or was this driven by certain members? Just curious to what the community and kids are saying?

Just asking because I know some communities during conference changes were kicking and screaming "no" but certain people believe it was in their best interest.
Pretty mixed, initially. There was a faction that didn't want to leave the Heritage. There has always been the group that wanted the WPIAL. Some wanted the LHAC. Now that the decision has been made, I think that most folks are embracing the move. Time will tell if it was the right decision.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

Manfred wrote: February 5th, 2020, 9:19 am 1969. Mansfield. 6'-11" Tom McMillen. Played in the Johnstown War Memorial Holiday Tournament, back in its glory days as a NATIONAL tournament, not the joke it has now. Not many teams able to overcome a talented big man like that. He was a pretty good politician after that too.
Frazier lost to Mansfield 65 - 43 in the PIAA Class B championship. Laurel Valley lost to Elk Lake in the Class C game.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

knowitall wrote: February 5th, 2020, 8:55 am Since Ligonier Valley put its tail between its legs and fled the LHAC years ago and then saw its football seasons end two years in a row to Richland I doubt very much that they were interested in returning. It will eventually fade into obscurity in the WPIAL with the Fraziers, Youghs and Geibels.
Knowitall, I agree that they left the LHAC because they couldn't win. However, in the past four seasons LV is 2 and 2 with your vaunted LHAC in the district 6 championship. Maybe they will and maybe they won't fade into obscurity in the WPIAL! Whatever happens, they are willing to face better competition than there is in the Laurel Highlands. The bottom line is that your opinion means absolutely nothing concerning what the Ligonier Valley School Board does with their athletic program!
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

WPIAL or LHAC, does it really matter? Even though LV dominated their league over the past 5-10 years, D6 was competitive for Ligonier in the playoffs for every sport.

If LV would have been playing in the WPIAL during that time, they would have been competitive as well. They competed in the state playoffs toe-to-toe with some of the best in the state.

Maybe they will decline and become average in the WPIAL. Or, maybe they will keep playing at a high level and compete for championships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Better competition than the Heritage sure. No guarantee that some random AA division in the 'vaunted' WPIAL is going to be markedly better competition than the LHAC. They aren't going to be playing Thomas Jefferson, WA, NA, Pine Richland, etc...Whatever, what's done is done.
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

HSD6FAN wrote: February 5th, 2020, 9:26 pm WPIAL or LHAC, does it really matter? Even though LV dominated their league over the past 5-10 years, D6 was competitive for Ligonier in the playoffs for every sport.

If LV would have been playing in the WPIAL during that time, they would have been competitive as well. They competed in the state playoffs toe-to-toe with some of the best in the state.

Maybe they will decline and become average in the WPIAL. Or, maybe they will keep playing at a high level and compete for championships.
You are exactly right bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tubmill
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by tubmill »

Colonel Mustard wrote: February 5th, 2020, 9:27 pm Better competition than the Heritage sure. No guarantee that some random AA division in the 'vaunted' WPIAL is going to be markedly better competition than the LHAC. They aren't going to be playing Thomas Jefferson, WA, NA, Pine Richland, etc...Whatever, what's done is done.
The Rams' very first schedule includes two state champions that won those championships as recently as 2016. 5 of the nine schools on LV's first WPIAL schedule, made the WPIAL playoffs in 2019. End of story!
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

Maybe end of story for LV. BG has won several state championships since 2015, and in a supposedly down year in the LHAC, Richland, BG, and Chestnut Ridge won district titles. But whatever.

You would think that LV may have formed some rivalries in all of their years in D6, but I guess not. You now have a built-in excuse....we play in the big bad WPIAL. Enjoy.