Fall Sports

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Fall Sports

Post by konjo78 »

OutOfTheLoop wrote: July 17th, 2020, 1:13 pm None of those conditions are highly contagious or would suddenly overwhelm a health care system. You could argue that 2nd hand smoke could be in a similar category, but we've decided as a society to take measures to mitigate that. Many of the same arguments were made that businesses such as bars and restaurants would fail and freedoms were being trampled but we've adjusted just fine and are better for it.
Was going to post this exact measure. I do think there are things we could all do as a country to better educate the country of these issues.

But heart disease and diabities are not extremely contagious, the only one you can compare to is smoking. Interesting enough all but 12 states have some form of smoking ban in place when it comes to smoking in public/indoors. People across the country in the past 40 years have made their efforts to reduce 2nd hand smoke for others because of health concerns.
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

I think abpk is trying to say that the people who are at high risk did it to themselves and they should bear the blame for being susceptible, and they shouldn’t expect others to help save them now.

Didn’t think I’d ever put my medical history on here, but here goes. I am diabetic. Didn’t ever plan on being this way but yet here I am. I’m 6’1, weigh about 180 pounds. Never been overweight in my life. Play sports pretty regularly and still in my 40’s. People who know me usually get a shocked look on their face when I tell them. Diabetes runs on one of my parents side of the family.

I’ve had asthma since I was a kid. Have to take medicine daily for it. And also have a rescue inhaler. Never smoked or done any drugs.

I also have psoriasis. It is an autoimmune disease. Developed that out of the blue when I was about 30. My wife has rheumatoid arthritis, another autoimmune disease. Didn’t know it at the time but sometimes when women give birth, they get RA. That is what happened with her. Nothing she did wrong.

I didn’t ask for any of this. For me I’ve come to realize that genetics plays a huge role in your health. It is hard to fight genetics. I’ve had the flu numerous times. It isn’t the killer covid is, at least from what I can tell. I’m not afraid to get the flu. Covid seems like a whole different animal in the way it attacks a persons lungs and body.

All I know is that I don’t want this virus. It would be an uphill battle for my body. Is asking people to wear a mask such a life altering event? I’m not asking to have anything shut down. But people do need to think beyond themselves. There are people out there who have been given the short end in personal health through no fault of their own. That’s life. All it takes is a little sympathy and caring about your friends and neighbors. I do think that quite a few people do put themselves in harms way to a certain extent, but I always try to remember that I don’t know what that person next to me in line has been through. It’s sometimes hard not to judge, but we shouldn’t. Do I think the masks are a 100% fix? No, but I don’t think they are going to hurt either.
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by abpk2903 »

TheAnalyst wrote: July 17th, 2020, 1:59 pm I think abpk is trying to say that the people who are at high risk did it to themselves and they should bear the blame for being susceptible, and they shouldn’t expect others to help save them now.
That was my point exactly. I have seen and heard multiple family members and friends that have lived lifestyles that have completely destroyed their health and immune system for 30 years, now have the nerve to get on others for doing things that is putting them at risk. That is what is irritating me. These people didn't want to put the cigarette down, or the bottle down, or the donuts down for 30 years. Now that I want to take my 2 year old to the park to get some interaction playing with others kids, you suddenly care so much about your health and well being.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

abpk2903 wrote: July 17th, 2020, 2:34 pm
TheAnalyst wrote: July 17th, 2020, 1:59 pm I think abpk is trying to say that the people who are at high risk did it to themselves and they should bear the blame for being susceptible, and they shouldn’t expect others to help save them now.
That was my point exactly. I have seen and heard multiple family members and friends that have lived lifestyles that have completely destroyed their health and immune system for 30 years, now have the nerve to get on others for doing things that is putting them at risk. That is what is irritating me. These people didn't want to put the cigarette down, or the bottle down, or the donuts down for 30 years. Now that I want to take my 2 year old to the park to get some interaction playing with others kids, you suddenly care so much about your health and well being.
Ill be honest... Based on my interaction with people/public those are the people who are against these measures to fight the spread.... the person smoking a cigarette going into a store more times that not isnt wearing a mask and usually publicly talks against it.

I had cancer as a kid... I didnt ask for it, i didnt do anything to my knowledge that helped me get it.
Earl34
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by Earl34 »

Analyst, I m sorry to hear about your and your wife's issues. You have concluded, like many of us have, that everybody is carrying some kind of burden.
You mentioned that you have no fear of contracting the flu. Could that be because you know a doctor will help you through dealing with the flu? That is how our healthcare system usually works. But in this case of covid that is not happening. Most people are being told to go home and isolate. When you get worse come back. Many people are surviving with no help. Many are ending up hospitalized, and some of them end up too sick to survive.
What if every covid sick person got treatment right away? If our government has approved an early intervention plan, I have not heard of it. But early intervention treatment for so many ailments is what makes most of us so brave to live the way we do. Doctors will diagnose and treat us.
Tussey Mt. fan
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Tussey Mt. fan »

PoohBear wrote:The issue it seems to me is simple. It is political. If you are conservative you know that shutting businesses down, preventing people from doing things like sports for example, not allowing church services, etc. is detrimental to the American way of life. It has and will cause very high unemployment, businesses to close forever, and a deeper dependency on government. (Which is in debt up to the wazoo already.) If you are liberal (deep down) you want to see America become dependent on government, you want to see the American way of life end as we know it, you don't care if businesses close or churches close, or if we ever play sports again, etc. Fact #1 the coronavirus is virtually non-harmful to high school aged kids. Fact #2 in 2009 the H1N1 virus was harmful to this same age group and of the 150,000 to 575,000 lives lost, 80% were people under the age of 65. I don't remember school closings or sports being halted back then. If young people are not allowed to do things like sports, they will still do things and many times it will be things detrimental to society and themselves. The point is America has always persevered and we have never cowered like some helpless child. For America to be America we need to have businesses remain open, we need to not depend on government or men will never be innovative again, and most of all we need things like sports as an outlet. These are different times, there is no denying that. But, with everyone's safety in mind, there is no way American ingenuity can't come up with answers without closing the country down and then re-opening to an America that nobody recognizes or wants such as long food lines, no sports, rampant crime and lawlessness in every city or town, starvation, no jobs, etc. By the way, I am in my 60s, I still shake hands, I seldom wear a mask, and I go places where I don't always know everyone. Here's to staying the course and having fall sports. Another thought would be what if say 200 teams decide they are playing soccer or football in spite of a Wolf order to shut down. What would be the consequence? The police aren't going to get involved. They have more important issues going on.
Couldn’t agree more. [emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goldeneagles12
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Goldeneagles12 »

In other news 7 on 7 in Tyrone right now.
HSD6FAN
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by HSD6FAN »

There is no answer that the PIAA or local schools will make to please people.

COVID-19 has been polarizing. Many people are either completely one way or the other.

Shutdown everything vs. open everything up.
Mask vs. no mask
Etc.

The part that makes everything more frustrating is the information provided by news / medical sources is unreliable and constantly changing. It’s hard to understand what to believe.

In my opinion (not anyone else’s), whether it’s right or wrong, I hope to see fall sports continue. I hope to see kids go back to school. I hope to see business be allowed to make their own choices for guidelines to open, enter, and serve people.

If that doesn’t happen, I’ll adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Im less concerned for sports actually being played being an issue than transportation and locker room safety.

At this point its almost undeniable that when states or areas opened up close contact crowded areas cases spiked across the country. Bars, beaches, full restaurants and even summer camps.

Schools opening up would almost certainly cause a significant increase as they are bars/beaches on steriods when it comes to close contact on top of their community reach. And while yes kids probably have the best chance to beat covid that doesnt mean they cant be super spreaders to their families/communities.

Not to mention what if teachers all dont go back? Most schools have over crowded classes to begin with and if 5-10% of teachers decide to stay home its only going to cause more issues for schools and class size. And i think 5-10% is a low estimate for teachers as many are going to be above 50-60 and be considered high risk. This is without mentioning any social distancing measures that are going to be required for school activities. 5 asympomatic kids in school for 1 week can easily lead to thousands of positive cases in a community in just the month after
PaSportsGuy
Junior
Junior

Post by PaSportsGuy »

Just heard NFL is set to cancel all preseason games
That can’t be good.