Fall Sports

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Fall Sports

Post by konjo78 »

Slippery95 wrote: August 4th, 2020, 7:34 am Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it....................I think that this is the old saying!!!!

Paying players seems like a concept that should have been embraced years ago............I mean, an average program like Washington makes 42 Million dollars.........42 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!! They should most certainly share that with the players. Afterall, they are the ones that are really important in the entire College Football Machine.

There are so many variables that the average fan does not think about; or even understand!
1) Who get paid what?
2) Area agents involves?
3) Can a player be fired for under-performing?
4) Can a player be "Let go" due to injury?
5) When a payment can not be negotiated can the player "Transfer"?
6) Does GPA play a role in their ability to participate?
7) Does the athlete need to be a full time student.........or even a student at all?
8) Should Title-IX be respected at all during this payment process?
9) Do you introduce a salary cap?
10) Are players allowed to Unionize?

These are just the first 10 questions..............of literally 100s that I could list.

Nevermind the conversation that we would have to have about the inevitable things like:
1) The disappearance of parity at the college level?
2) The introduction of paying High School Athletes?
3) Who helps with the financial burden placed on smaller schools?

Pay for college players is not something I think is feasible, just pointing out the idea that players should be quiet and just play is a bad notion. The players are the ones allowing the uni's to make that money for their school, if they want to come up with crtieria to keep themselves safe during a pandemic they should be listened too instead of threatened.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

I don’t think it’s feasible to pay college athletes across the board, but they should be able to profit off their own image, no question. If Micah Parsons wants to have a paid autograph session at a mall, he should be allowed.

Having said that, that’s an entirely different topic.

I can see why college athletes feel exploited currently. It’s not safe for in-person classes. But they can play football, live on campus, only take online classes, their head coach can make seven figures, their assistant coaches make six figures, and the school makes millions from TV revenue. While they are risking their health and their family’s health (people forget about that one). It’s kind of messed up.

It’s either safe to resume normal activities or it’s not, and if it’s not, some added compensation isn’t a huge ask if we’re going to forge ahead with college football during a pandemic.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

If it's the players laying the Golden Egg, then why did Stanford just cut 11 of their 36 varsity sports programs? At least 171 sports programs from 4-year schools have been cut since the pandemic, 51 are from 18 D-1 schools. The 11 sports cut at Stanford saved the school an estimated $200 million. Can't the players save everyone from this dilemma?
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Football pays for everything else. So they have more leverage.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Here comes the person, who cried so much just a few days ago about "stats and spin", doing the exact same thing here.

Hypocrisy at its finest
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

"Stats and spin"? Definition of stats: the practice or science of collecting and analyzing numerical data. Definition of spin: particular bias or point of view. I have done NEITHER. I just stated facts. Attention players!! Please lay your golden egg and save the world of college athletics. As sports fans, we NEED you!!!!!
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Moldo... I literally provided facts about deaths of a pandemic and you compared it to the civil war saying im spinning something...

You brought up other sports into a conversation about college football. Its clear who here is the one trying to spin themselves and avoid real facts.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

You made statements about deaths in Sweden and I gave MY facts to counter them. My Civil War comparison was quite good. Number of deaths doesn't always mean anything. The topic here is fall sports. My Stanford example shows just how important players are. It's the university that rules over the players. Without the university, the players get nothing in return. Just ask the Stanford wrestlers and men' volleyball players how important they thought they were. And as PAC-12 football players make demands like "we want 50% of revenues going to players", let's see how important THEY are.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

You think a comparison to a war, things that deal more or less with controlled areas and such to an actual pandemic is quite good comparison?

Holy hell the stupid coming out of moldo's mouth worries me for anyone around him.
CCDevil2012
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CCDevil2012 »

Slippery95 wrote: August 4th, 2020, 7:34 am Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it....................I think that this is the old saying!!!!

Paying players seems like a concept that should have been embraced years ago............I mean, an average program like Washington makes 42 Million dollars.........42 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!! They should most certainly share that with the players. Afterall, they are the ones that are really important in the entire College Football Machine.
There are so many variables that the average fan does not think about; or even understand!
1) Who get paid what?
2) Area agents involves?
3) Can a player be fired for under-performing?
4) Can a player be "Let go" due to injury?
5) When a payment can not be negotiated can the player "Transfer"?
6) Does GPA play a role in their ability to participate?
7) Does the athlete need to be a full time student.........or even a student at all?
8) Should Title-IX be respected at all during this payment process?
9) Do you introduce a salary cap?
10) Are players allowed to Unionize?

These are just the first 10 questions..............of literally 100s that I could list.

Nevermind the conversation that we would have to have about the inevitable things like:
1) The disappearance of parity at the college level?
2) The introduction of paying High School Athletes?
3) Who helps with the financial burden placed on smaller schools?
A salary cap? I was under the assumption that they were only going to be allowed to monetize their name and likeness. I find it hypocritical of the NCAA that a student on a music scholarship can make a CD and sell it but a football kicker can’t monetize an unrelated YouTube page or even go as far as selling their autograph.

The biggest and slipperiest of slopes is when deep pocket supporters are all of a sudden paying big money for “autographs” to entice a player to go their school