Fall Sports

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
abpk2903
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Fall Sports

Post by abpk2903 »

Nebraska just filled 7 separate lawsuits against the B1G for not providing a football season this fall. Do you all think those lawsuits aren't coming in high school sports, as well?

You all mentioned that it's America and anyone can file suit for anything. Well that applies both ways.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

The article that was published has been corrected by the source to have wrong % numbers.
Last edited by konjo78 on September 3rd, 2020, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Does anyone know how many players were tested and examined? I mean 3 out of 10 is 30%. The sample should be large to get a true reading.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Of the Big 10 schools that are reporting (which is only 50%) there are 169 positive cases in athletes. Lets be conservative and say that the number is around 250 if we include all 14 schools (I am only adding less than 50% of the current total for double the schools that is extremely conservative when generating stat predictions). That would be around 50 cases of myocarditis for the cases reported, 75 for my estimated amount.

Myocariditis is the 3rd leading cause of deaths in children/young adults. Even if the number of effected athletes is closer to 15% (half the penn state study/report for big 10 athletes) that would be an alarming amount for such a rare disease. The report also mentions these conditions were found in asymptomatic covid cases as well as symptomatic ones.
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

Dr. Curt Daniels at Ohio State has discovered 10%-13% mild myocarditis in athletes previously testing positive for Covid. He stated that, "Myocarditis is generally mild and goes away with rest. Left untreated, it can cause heart damage." Guess the key is continued testing of athletes for the virus and then take appropriate measures to prevent heart issues.
Tussey Mt. fan
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Tussey Mt. fan »

This is copied and pasted from Mayo Clinic website.

Treatment
In many cases, myocarditis improves on its own or with treatment, leading to a complete recovery. Myocarditis treatment focuses on the cause and the symptoms, such as heart failure.

In mild cases, persons should avoid competitive sports for at least three to six months. Rest and medication to help your body fight off the infection causing myocarditis might be all you need. Although antiviral medications are available, they haven't proved effective in the treatment of most cases of myocarditis.

Certain rare types of viral myocarditis, such as giant cell and eosinophilic myocarditis, respond to corticosteroids or other medications to suppress your immune system. In some cases caused by chronic illnesses, such as lupus, treatment is directed at the underlying disease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Good info there tussey and moldo.

For me the issue can be with younger athletes/inviduals having this without ever knowing. I doubt many families can afford or have gotten an MRI for themselves or any young individuals who have tested positive for covid 19, let alone ones who may have been asymptomatic and never knew.