konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Fall Sports

Post by konjo78 »

Goldeneagles12 wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:05 pm
konjo78 wrote: August 6th, 2020, 6:59 pm
Goldeneagles12 wrote: August 6th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Konjo you can be the greatest parent in the world and teach your kids everything about life. But guess what you can't control how they feel. Thats asinine. That would be like me taking away something you hold dear to your heart and me saying you know its not right if you go hurt yourself or someone over this. I can tell you till I'm blue in the face but I cant control if you do or not or how you feel about it.
Maybe im a little bit biased about this because I moved close to the start of school and missed my chance to play my senior year of football. It sucked, I didnt get a chance to play with all of the friends/teammates from the previous 8 years. I didnt have a choice or anything to stop it at all but guess what... My parents taught me my upset feeling was understanding and reasonable, but in life choices are made out of your control how you respond to them and grow yourself is what makes you as a person.

This 100% comes down to parenting and proper responses from leaders in those locker rooms.
Ok say all the other parents and coaches teach there kids and players the same things your parents did. And say some players it doesn't sink in and they do something to themselves or someone. Thats still the parents fault even though they went down the proper avenues with the kids. What delusional world are you living in. If you would have got angry and hurt yourself over getting moved even though your parents taught you all that you would blame it on them???
I certainly wouldnt blame it on someone else like you are trying to do here. Its either going to be the persons fault who hurt themselves or the support group they had around them to help stop it.
OutOfTheLoop
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by OutOfTheLoop »

Goldeneagles12 wrote: August 6th, 2020, 6:26 pm Whats the department of health gonna say if these kids start committing suicide because there dreams got taken away. I get the concern for the virus but teenagers are unstable and if they have been working hard and the rug gets pulled a lot of them might not be able to handle it. The kids that lost there seasons earlier in the year at least got to play and it was something new so they might have been able to handle it better. Now the kids have been penned up for how long now and thinking they are gonna have a little piece of normal and a couple days before the start it gets snatched away.
I'm sorry. But that's asinine. Sports is meant to be an outlet, not the sole focus on life. As mush as we all disagree on what to do, any of us would snap our fingers and make things go back to normal in an instant if we could.

But we can't. We are dealing with a once in a century situation and it calls for unusual responses to it. There will be combines and tryouts for high school seniors who were robbed of a season and can play at the next level. If kids are willing to kill themselves over it, then their self-worth has been very misplaced (probably by a parent trying to live out his failed attempts at glory through his child). Plus, that kid already has some mental health issues that hopefully are being monitored by a responsible adult.

True, teenagers often have unstable feelings, but very few act so drastically over one crappy situation without other factors playing a significant role. Being a teenager involves many failures and our job as men/fathers/coaches/father-figures is to guide them through those and teach them how to acquire wisdom from them.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

OutOfTheLoop wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:11 pm
Goldeneagles12 wrote: August 6th, 2020, 6:26 pm Whats the department of health gonna say if these kids start committing suicide because there dreams got taken away. I get the concern for the virus but teenagers are unstable and if they have been working hard and the rug gets pulled a lot of them might not be able to handle it. The kids that lost there seasons earlier in the year at least got to play and it was something new so they might have been able to handle it better. Now the kids have been penned up for how long now and thinking they are gonna have a little piece of normal and a couple days before the start it gets snatched away.
I'm sorry. But that's asinine. Sports is meant to be an outlet, not the sole focus on life. As mush as we all disagree on what to do, any of us would snap our fingers and make things go back to normal in an instant if we could.

But we can't. We are dealing with a once in a century situation and it calls for unusual responses to it. There will be combines and tryouts for high school seniors who were robbed of a season and can play at the next level. If kids are willing to kill themselves over it, then their self-worth has been very misplaced (probably by a parent trying to live out his failed attempts at glory through his child). Plus, that kid already has some mental health issues that hopefully are being monitored by a responsible adult.

True, teenagers often have unstable feelings, but very few act so drastically over one crappy situation without other factors playing a significant role. Being a teenager involves many failures and our job as men/fathers/coaches/father-figures is to guide them through those and teach them how to acquire wisdom from them.
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
cambriahunter
Freshman
Freshman

Post by cambriahunter »

OutOfTheLoop wrote: August 6th, 2020, 7:11 pm

But part of the problem is that not everyone agrees that this is a “once in a century situation that requires unusual response. If that were true, there would’ve been no announcement of the green phase (whatever that meant) followed by 3 months of summer baseball/basketball, etc. that’s what my kids are having a difficult time understanding.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

If you dont actually think this pandemic is real and dangerous than you are already proving yourself unwise at this point. 150k dead in our country while taking extreme measures to stop the spread? Yeah this isnt some once in a generation type of pandemic ...
El-Moldo
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by El-Moldo »

YOY!! In the olden days, 30 kids tried out for the high school baseball team. 10 were cut (remember when they used to do that). No one jumped off a cliff. They just went home and watched their one channel on TV in black and white, did their homework, and got ready for the next day.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

This has gotten totally ridiculous. Kids have played rec baseball, softball, basketball, soccer all summer. Travel and AAU players have played tournaments all over the country. Summer workouts and open gyms have been going for 2 months. People have been going on vacation at beaches and hot spots. Kids have been hanging-out with friends all summer and visiting their grand parents. And now we tell them no sports and probably no school. WHY? We have had 3 deaths in Cambria County in 6 months!! This virus is not affecting young healthy people. Why are we punishing our youth? This is so ridiculous.
footballfan1
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by footballfan1 »

I am by no means overlooking the effects of this virus compared to kids not playing sports. However, I am just of the opinion that allowing them to play with no fans was better than nothing at all. Sounds like decision has been made for this fall. Wolf and Levine should of made this recommendation a month ago when the PIAA was looking for guidance. Poop poor leadership on their part. I feel, just my opinion, that in June or July they had to of known they were not going to support sports this fall. Here we are days from conditioning week and this happens. I realize he has to do what is best in his opinion. But to me, I compare this to a coach telling a starter the day before a game that he will not be playing. Unprofessional and very poor leadership. This decision affects me as a coach and as a parent. I would of handled it better if they would of done this a month ago. I am not saying I do not support it, I am saying it was a cowards way out of the situation and he is the leader of Pennsylvannia?
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Colonel Mustard wrote: August 6th, 2020, 9:43 pm This has gotten totally ridiculous. Kids have played rec baseball, softball, basketball, soccer all summer. Travel and AAU players have played tournaments all over the country. Summer workouts and open gyms have been going for 2 months. People have been going on vacation at beaches and hot spots. Kids have been hanging-out with friends all summer and visiting their grand parents. And now we tell them no sports and probably no school. WHY? We have had 3 deaths in Cambria County in 6 months!! This virus is not affecting young healthy people. Why are we punishing our youth? This is so ridiculous.
Here is the reality for you.....

1. There are no studies that say this virus does not affect young healthy people. In fact there have been some that show actual lung damage taking place in younger individuals who are asymptomatic. Meaning they may not show any signs at current day but who knows in 20 years what those things could do as time goes on.

2. These young people, being mostly asymptomatic, are easy transmitters to their families and communities. This is why school's aren't opening right away because its an easy way to get a full community infected in weeks.

3. All those things you mention, traveling, vacationing, hanging out and such are some of the many reasons the US is still having this problem nation wide. We kept doing things even though we were all told if you do we are going to see the numbers explode, which they did. Those actions, with many others, are why the US is still in the middle of the pandemic and deaths/cases trended up in July.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

as for cambria county, its one of the counties in PA right now seeing a major hike in new cases