Fall Sports

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
Bedrock
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Fall Sports

Post by Bedrock »

High school kids don't specialize nearly as much as college athletes. Spring high school football would kill baseball, track, and tennis in our area.
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Fall Sports

Post by ERAChamp »

Couldn't agree more - and the spring athletes already lost a year of their sports. I can't see HS football being moved to the spring - I think they will either play or simply cancel.
Husker33
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Husker33 »

I don't see the PIAA moving Football to the Spring. It would literally create back to back seasons for the following year. That would be very tough on the athletes, coaches, support staffs, and the playing surfaces. It will be either football in the fall or no football this year in my opinion.

The biggest thing I don't understand is they are saying outdoor locations make it easier to social distance and harder to spread COVID. Using that logic football, soccer, golf, cross country, tennis, golf, track and field, field hockey, lacrosse, baseball and softball should all be good to go. They say that being indoors for 30 minutes or more gives you a better chance of contracting it if someone has COVID in the same room. To me that means any sport that is played or held indoors would be difficult to host this year. Volleyball, wrestling, and basketball all come to mind.
“Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably the reason why so few engage in it.”
-Henry Ford

“Gentleman, this is a football. Before we’re through, we’re gonna run it down everybody’s throats.”
-Vince Lombardi
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Fall Sports

Post by ERAChamp »

The mandates they are putting on schools and school sports in general is crazy. There are many rec leagues for indoor basketball, baseball, softball & volleyball that have been open in the area for almost a month now. Zero temperature checks, no masks, and guess what no issues. No spike in cases, nothing - just kids and life getting back to normal.
The requirements they are putting on schools and school sports makes it seem like they are trying everything they can do to make it so restrictive that it doesn't happen. No doubt that this virus is serious, but no where near the level as the media is trying to make it.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Three weeks ago the virus wasn't that big of a deal. The media reported that PA was one of three states that has seen a sustained, consistent drop in cases. Again, this was just three weeks ago. What has happened since? Westmoreland and Allegheny Counties will be closing their bars and restaurants again for at least the next two weeks.
Colonel Mustard
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Colonel Mustard »

The easy answer is that they are testing more people now. You would then expect numbers to increase.

Political answer A is that the bars and beaches are open now and people are being dangerous which caused a spike.

Political answer B is that all the protests and riots caused a spike, and the testing is extremely flawed.

Take your pick.
ERAChamp
Senior
Senior

Fall Sports

Post by ERAChamp »

I am not disputing the rise in cases, but the mortality/death rate has not changed. That is the key number to look at - most of the spike in cases is in asymptomatic cases. Of all the kids now playing in rec leagues, I guarantee that if tested, some, maybe a lot, would be asymptomatic & that would be another positive test and rise in the numbers. However, if these kids are not showing ANY symptoms and they are around adults - coaches, parents & grandparents, who are not getting sick, why get tested? This is actually building a herd immunity - which we need. Heck, I might be asymptomatic but am not going to get tested as I feel fine. I don't want to a statistic added to the rise in cases.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

knowitall wrote: July 8th, 2020, 10:06 am What has happened since?
Bars were opened up.
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

Crimson's Ghost wrote: July 8th, 2020, 11:15 am
knowitall wrote: July 8th, 2020, 10:06 am What has happened since?
Bars were opened up.
The bars have been open. I think the reporting of good news about the virus caused people of all ages to drop their guard. They started going to those open bars (and stores, churches, etc.) more. They weren’t so careful keeping their social distance and left their masks at home.

I will wait a few weeks to see if the death rates go up before talking about them right now.
konjo78
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by konjo78 »

Bars open and created an easy way for the virus to start building up hosts quick and then spread throughout communities fast again.

Schools would create the same issue as well if they were to open. I mean thats the place where majority of adults send their kids in close, confined spaces.